U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,668,482 times

Advertisements

One other interesting and different mix is the Jackson Whites who live near me. The Jackson Whites are a group of people who live in the Ramapo Mountains, small mountains in Bergen and Passaic Counties in NJ and Orange and Rockland counties in NY. They have been here for 100's of years, and it's odd because the area is so developed you wouldn't think there are "mountain people" in the area. But until the last generation or two they have been living in those mountains, isolated. They are legendarily like our area's "hillbilllies", a reputation based part in truth and part in myth.

Anyway, they are a mix of the original Dutch settlers of NJ - in fact, most of them have one of 4 last names, DeVries (DeFreeze, DeFries, etc.), Van Dunk (Van Donke, etc.), Mann, and DeGroat (DeGroot, etc.) - mixed with Native Americans of that area, Hessian soldiers from early American wars, and freed and runaway black slaves. They look very bi-racial, with some black features, lighter skin; some look like darker white people, like native Americans, others look like very light-skinned black people. It is believed that inbreeding has been common amongst them.

In any case, I think it's an interesting and unusual mix, and it's interesting how it was shaped by the events that transpired in that area throughout the history of NJ, and that they were able to remain so insular and secluded while the entire area around them became so over-developed and over-populated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 02:04 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
A classmate I went to high school with is from The Netherlands and is part Black, Dutch, and Chinese.
Surinamese most likely?

In Hawaii I knew someone who was Tongan and Tahitian and married to a woman of German ancestry.

Also knew a Samoan/Japanese guy married to a Puerto Rican girl, and a guy (not a friend) who was Asian Indian and Japanese.

Hawaiian-Irish man/Irish woman.

Anything goes in Hawaii.

Some other friends not from Hawaii are;

woman who is of Swedish/Costa Rican parentage

Brazilian friend who is Lebanese/Portuguese/Italian/Japanese

man whose mom is half Cuban/half Mexican, dad is half Sicilian/half Cuban

Korean/Scottish man, his name is Kim.

married couples:
Beninois man/Irish woman
Japanese man/German woman
African-American and German man/Taiwanese woman
Costa Rican man of Jamaican heritage/Russian woman
Nigerian man/Russian woman
African American woman/Indian man
Jamaican woman/Swedish-Irish man

Old 10-20-2009, 02:16 PM

48,065 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I had a friend in college who was named Stefan and had a swedish last name, blond hair, blue eyes, and a sleight build. He was Mexican! His mother, it turns out, was Mexican, born and raised, but even she had German ancestry on her father's side (she was 1/4 German). Her full Mexican mom was a very light skinned Mexican, they believe they have very little native American blood in their family ancestry. Stefan's father met his mother when he was studying in Mexico and they had their three kids there, then moved to the US when my friend was 5. Obviously he speaks perfect American English, but he's fluent in Spanish and speaks like any other Mexican. It sure made for some funny surprises when we hung out with him and people would speak Spanish thinking he wouldn't understand, lol!!!
I also had a co-worker friend in El Paso whose was Jewish but his family owned a business that had a factory in Mexico City, so he was raised for half his childhood in Mexico City. He took me and another co-worker into Juarez, Mexico (right across the Rio Grande from El Paso) one day after work, and spoke fluently with everyone we came in contact with! They almost all spoke English anyway, though; still, they were surprised that he spoke so fluently and with no accent. Seems they are used to foreigners particularly Americans and Germans who go there for business,who can speak fluent Spanish, but always with an accent.

I have a cousin who is half Armenian, 1/4 English and 1/4 Irish; he married a Chinese girl and they have a son! This is a little different from other white people who mix with Asians, because if any of you are familiar with Armenians, we tend to be somewhat insular - we'll mix with other white ethnicities a little, and even then it's mostly Greek or Lebanese or other Mediterraeneans, or Russians...but it's rare we mix with people who are quite so different. So it's funny that my cousin's son looks Chinese but has an Armenian last name!

Another one that comes to mind is the Hughes brothers, the Hollywood producers, known as black filmmakers - they are actually half Armenian. Their Armenian mother raised them and they are very proud of their Armenian heritage!

One of my best friends is half Lebanese and half Irish. Some people think that's a weird combination, but it's actually pretty common, since both are very Catholic; it's kind of like Irish and Italian mix. But, their parents adopted two boys - my friend's brothers - from I believe Vietnam. They were adopted as babies and were raised by these parents, each who is very ethnic. The Irish side of the family is VERY Irish and the Lebanese side is VERY Lebanese. To my friend's family, they forget, despite the fact that these brothers obviously look very asiann, that they are. The brothers feel Irish and Lebanese and are proud of both heritages. Obviously they're aware they are adopted and are of Asian descent by blood, but for practical purposes they feel like they are Irish and Lebanese. One of the brothers went to work with the Irish side of the family in Ireland and married an Irish girl; they consider their kids to be 3/4 Irish and 1/4 Lebanese. When I met my friend's brothers while I was in college, it was funny, because we talked about Lebanese things (my parents are from Lebanon) and aside from their asian appearance it was like talking to any other Lebanese-American person - they knew all the foods and some of the words and phrases, which is about all I know, too.

I love how these mixes happen. I think in a way those people are very lucky to be able to draw on two (or more) diverse ethnic backgrounds as their cultural heritage. It's very American, too, if you really think about it... we're a nation made up mostly of "mutts"! (Didn't Bill Murray say that in a movie??? I think so...)
Sounds like an actor from the movie American History X. Edward Furlong played a skinhead in that movie, Danny Vinyard. The irony is that Edward Furlong is Mexican on his mother's side of the family. He has Russian, Irish, and Native American. I would have not even known that just by looking at him.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Surinamese most likely?

In Hawaii I knew someone who was Tongan and Tahitian and married to a woman of German ancestry.

Also knew a Samoan/Japanese guy married to a Puerto Rican girl, and a guy (not a friend) who was Asian Indian and Japanese.

Hawaiian-Irish man/Irish woman.

Anything goes in Hawaii.

Some other friends not from Hawaii are;

woman who is of Swedish/Costa Rican parentage

Brazilian friend who is Lebanese/Portuguese/Italian/Japanese

man whose mom is half Cuban/half Mexican, dad is half Sicilian/half Cuban

Korean/Scottish man, his name is Kim.

married couples:
Beninois man/Irish woman
Japanese man/German woman
African-American and German man/Taiwanese woman
Costa Rican man of Jamaican heritage/Russian woman
Nigerian man/Russian woman
African American woman/Indian man
Jamaican woman/Swedish-Irish man
He may have been Surinamese, but I didn't ask. The couples you mentioned, I know someone who is mixed with Filipino and Pakistani.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:21 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,958,653 times
Quote:
He may have been Surinamese, but I didn't ask. The couples you mentioned, I know someone who is mixed with Filipino and Pakistani.
There was a guy who had a cup of coffee with the Patriots a while back, Jamil Soriano, who was the same combination.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
One other interesting and different mix is the Jackson Whites who live near me. The Jackson Whites are a group of people who live in the Ramapo Mountains, small mountains in Bergen and Passaic Counties in NJ and Orange and Rockland counties in NY. They have been here for 100's of years, and it's odd because the area is so developed you wouldn't think there are "mountain people" in the area. But until the last generation or two they have been living in those mountains, isolated. They are legendarily like our area's "hillbilllies", a reputation based part in truth and part in myth.

Anyway, they are a mix of the original Dutch settlers of NJ - in fact, most of them have one of 4 last names, DeVries (DeFreeze, DeFries, etc.), Van Dunk (Van Donke, etc.), Mann, and DeGroat (DeGroot, etc.) - mixed with Native Americans of that area, Hessian soldiers from early American wars, and freed and runaway black slaves. They look very bi-racial, with some black features, lighter skin; some look like darker white people, like native Americans, others look like very light-skinned black people. It is believed that inbreeding has been common amongst them.

In any case, I think it's an interesting and unusual mix, and it's interesting how it was shaped by the events that transpired in that area throughout the history of NJ, and that they were able to remain so insular and secluded while the entire area around them became so over-developed and over-populated.
And these aren't the only people like that. There are also Melungeons in parts of Tennessee and Virginia.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,668,482 times
Quote:
And these aren't the only people like that. There are also Melungeons in parts of Tennessee and Virginia.
That's interesting, but it doesn't surprise me. The Meungeons are rural people in remote parts of Appalachia. The Jackson Whites remained insular and kept to themselves in a handful of hills only 30 miles from Manhattan, NYC!!! That's what's so bizarre about the Jackson Whites, beyond the ethnic mix.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
That's interesting, but it doesn't surprise me. The Meungeons are rural people in remote parts of Appalachia. The Jackson Whites remained insular and kept to themselves in a handful of hills only 30 miles from Manhattan, NYC!!! That's what's so bizarre about the Jackson Whites, beyond the ethnic mix.
I never knew such people existed, such a short distance from NYC, in the Ramapo Mtns. area. What also makes this interesting is the proximity to places like Passaic, Hackensack and other urban areas in northern New Jersey.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,516 times
Robert DiNero was dating a colored woman and Serena Williams was dating a colored man. Wasnt Halle Barry having sex with Billy Bob Thornton? Billy Bob was also married to a colored woman too.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:10 PM

517 posts, read 1,155,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Off_My_Lawn View Post
Robert DiNero was dating a colored woman and Serena Williams was dating a colored man. Wasnt Halle Barry having sex with Billy Bob Thornton? Billy Bob was also married to a colored woman too.
Serena Williams is African American, how is her dating another African American man odd? Also whats up with the term "Colored"...it's not 1955 anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.