Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 06:45 AM

17 posts, read 21,714 times

Advertisements

I was looking into the average salary in Canada for Network Engineers and its £8,000 less a year that I would earn in the UK and that sucks

In the US I would be earning around £13,000 more that I would earn here

Im not to sure what to do now...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 09:49 PM

73 posts, read 171,832 times
Chris, although Americans may not be popular in the UK, Americans love the British. You'll have no problem at all being accepted in the U.S.--in fact, a British accent will help you with the ladies (assuming that Chris is a guy's name--my mom's name is Christine and goes by Chris).

The job market is killer good for those who are educated, especially in the technical fields (and especially in the Washington, D.C. area). Just be prepared for a high level of patriotism--Americans love America. We also love American football, basketball, and baseball, sports the rest of the world really don't play. Soccer is really a joke in the U.S. and the only way to see decent soccer would to be buy special deals through your cable or satellite provider. Also, being European, you're likely to be more liberal than most Americans--the U.S. is a center-right country that errs on the side of free market capitalism. Taxes are much lower, gas is much cheaper, and the government is a lot less involved in your every day life. This is a country of highly independent people, so be prepared to disagree with just about everything a Republican says and about half of what a Democrat says.

You're also going to find that Americans don't know much about world geography or about other cultures--this is a very ethnocentric country, and in my humble opinion, that's a good thing because most of the rest of the world is wrong about 95% of things, ESPECIALLY economics.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 PM

246 posts, read 328,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscja
I was looking into the average salary in Canada for Network Engineers and its £8,000 less a year that I would earn in the UK and that sucks

In the US I would be earning around £13,000 more that I would earn here

Im not to sure what to do now...lol
Eyah, don't get too hung up on the salaries. As a single guy about town, I am telling you LOCAL TALENT is what you should be looking for. And both Vancouver and Toronto have got lots of it, if you catch my drift....

Magpies

Old 08-01-2006, 02:26 PM

I know when I was in NJ as soon as I spoke loads of people turned round and looked at me... lol. The same would happen here as well I expect. Exept some people didnt understand me when I spoke... not really sure why I speak with a good English accent (sadly like Hugh Grant if you know who he is)

I dont feel very patriotic towards this country but I do with America (For some reason I feel more American that British). The government sucks here as well as high crime rates and high house prices..

Would being English in Canada also be considered odd and a good thing? btw I am a guy

Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 PM

73 posts, read 171,832 times
Chris, I'd say that in spite of the fact that Canada is a massive land mass touching America's northern border, most Americans know little-to-nothing about Canada. Unfortunately, I am one of those people. You'll probably find that in most parts of the U.S. (btw, Americans will say U.S. rather than USA), Canada is a running joke ("they're not even a country!" "Canada sucks" "Nuke Canada"). Nobody really means it, it's just poking fun at the french step-child that had all the advantages of its southern counterpart (the U.S.), but was left in the dust. You'll find that Canadians actually dislike America a lot more than Americans dislike Canada.

Vancouver, btw, is an amazing city and if you do decide to live in Canada, I can't think of a better place.

Hugh Grant...haha.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:32 PM

I really want to move to the U.S. but as everyone has said its difficult shame... I really wanted to move there...

By the looks of it I would'nt be that well off in Canada because the wages are low and I assume the cost of living is quite high

Old 08-02-2006, 08:25 AM

246 posts, read 328,931 times
Quote:
I dont feel very patriotic towards this country but I do with America (For some reason I feel more American that British). The government sucks here as well as high crime rates and high house prices..

Would being English in Canada also be considered odd and a good thing? btw I am a guy
Hi Chris, having lived for several years in the UK myself I don't really see why so many Brits think the crime rate & good governance is so much better over here. You'll see more of the same, and in some places, worse.

That's not to say you wouldn't get along smashingly here. If America's to your taste, welcome. But if the aforementioned issues are your key measure you might be dissappointed.

As for Canada you'd probably get the same reception there as you would here. Or at the very worst you'd be treated like anyone else.

While Yanks and Canucks enjoy a bit of a big brother-little brother rivalry, from an outsider's perspective you'd find more similarities than differences. We do have this in common: we both drive south of the border to a 3rd world country for cheap liquor & gasoline.

Magpies

Old 08-02-2006, 11:18 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies
While Yanks and Canucks enjoy a bit of a big brother-little brother rivalry, from an outsider's perspective you'd find more similarities than differences. We do have this in common: we both drive south of the border to a 3rd world country for cheap liquor & gasoline.

Magpies
Bwahahahahaha!!!

Quote:
I really want to move to the U.S. but as everyone has said its difficult shame... I really wanted to move there...

By the looks of it I would'nt be that well off in Canada because the wages are low and I assume the cost of living is quite high
chriscja, goodness it's difficult, but certainly not impossible to move over here! There's tons of ex-pats from all over the world living in the US and Canada. You're talking like you're about to give up on the notion now, why...?

Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 PM

I was under the impression that I would only be able to move if I either had a job offer or married to an American... the only way I can see I would be able to immigrate is if I got a job for an American based company here and asked for a transfer to the US.

I do want to go shame its not as easy as it used to be

Old 08-02-2006, 01:00 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
Quote:
I was under the impression that I would only be able to move if I either had a job offer or married to an American... the only way I can see I would be able to immigrate is if I got a job for an American based company here and asked for a transfer to the US.

I do want to go shame its not as easy as it used to be
Oh...well, I dunno, but it shouldn't be that hard if you have the qualifications....have you contacted the embassy, or US immigration or someone?

I do know someone who is going through the process. She moved here from Canada, lived in Vegas for a few years...she is self employed and has a partner (though not married, but they own a house together) but she is managing to do it somehow.
It's an expensive & tedious process, at least for her, but maybe that depends on the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.