U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:23 AM

7,091 posts, read 3,380,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
One thing is for certain, we all have a death sentence, nobody knows when their date is coming. Might as well enjoy it while you can. With lack of pensions and knowing I will never collect on SS... I don't see much of a point of saving for these "golden years".
My wife works in the field of 401k management, and she wants to beat you with a rubber hose.
grapico put at least 5% away. You'll be sorry if you don't

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 10-24-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 01:16 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,898,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
My wife works in the field of 401k management, and she wants to beat you with a rubber hose.
grapico put at least 5% away. You'll be sorry if you don't
I have that for sure, not sure about how solid 401k's are, the newest time is a front cover story on why to dump your 401k .

Old 10-25-2009, 11:23 AM

6,046 posts, read 6,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Because in the grown up world we have to go where the jobs are.
Many can't leave their jobs because of Employer Based Health Care that makes them slaves to jobs they hate in places they hate.
That's why I picked a college somewhere I like. That will make it a lot easier to get a job somewhere I like after college.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:33 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,777,025 times
I think it's smart to love and stay in New Jersey as a young working fellow who's raising a family...
I could get better pay, better education, and have more to do more than almost any other state; Yes it's going to cost me, but in the long run, retiring and moving out of NJ with all my NJ earnings would make me more prosperous somewhere else.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:51 PM

69 posts, read 125,706 times
Because they don't work in healthcare or for the federal government.
I think most people just don't want to move away from family.
If they have a career allowing for mobility and family isn't the deciding factor, there are still other reasons for staying put.
When it comes down to it, most people are very risk averse, so even if they have the money saved up for a move, they don't want to risk, for instance, going without health insurance for a few months. If they have kids, of course they are going to being even more cautious, and they're pretty much stuck where they are. It's a good reason to delay having kids until you're in a desirable location.
On top of that, people fear change itself. There are some people who won't move to areas merely because there are different ethnicities there than what they're used to (e.g., blacks in the southeast, hispanics in the southwest), or the political climate is different.
Considering the number of people who live in really crappy places like NYC, you're doing better than most people if you live somewhere you like.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:08 PM

159 posts, read 323,665 times
Because people can't afford it right now, or have too many obligations (job, family, security, friends) in a specific place and unable to uproot. If I could move I would but I really love my job, my family and friends are here, the weather isnt that bad and you cant beat the beach! I know my utopia exists somewhere else but for now the city i reside in will do.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:54 PM

43,294 posts, read 47,186,981 times
Basiclly the better paying jobs are not necessarily in the best locations. So people who luckily now get to travel so much more than in the past .Pretty much know whwre they want to reloacte for retirement.Many p-eopolpe how are use to traveling and living in several parts of teh country during thier working years ;so are not so stuck in the hometown thing.Tyhey are use to realtive being a flight away .

Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 PM

65 posts, read 126,925 times
We came to the Hampton Roads area of Virginia strictly for my husband's job. The goal was to gain experience and skills, in order to move elsewhere. I was very lukewarm and indifferent about the move here. I had no interest in the 'culture' or history of the area (civil war era/colonial era). If my husband did not put forth a great deal of effort in the job search, it is very likely we could be stuck here for many years to come.

So, that's another situation which could cause people to stay somewhere they don't particularly like: job/financial security, and fear of the unknown (new locations, new jobs, etc.). Life is too short to worry about this.

One thing I've noticed while living on the East Coast: folks I've met, living in the northeast, tend to focus on remaining on the east coast. Whether it be Virginia, or Florida. They don't seem interested in moving westward.

We have no binding ties here in Hampton Roads which prevent us from leaving. Although, everywhere we've lived, we always make friends we will stay in touch with.

We are grateful we do not have to stay somewhere we don't like, any longer. Simply for a job. Life is too short, as someone else stated, to allow ourselves to be trapped somewhere that does not fulfill our needs.

Last edited by DallasYankee; 11-01-2009 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 PM

19,677 posts, read 51,265,061 times
I love where I live (native), and love it so much that Ive yet to find a comparable place to live. So, what that means is that Ill work here (God willing) my whole life, and when its time to retire, unless I find somewhere comparable, Im staying put. I wouldnt mind retiring to New Mexico, but their cities there leave much to be desired compared to Chicagoland. Unless things improve drastically in NM within the next 25 years, Its going to be real hard to want to retire elsewhere.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:44 AM

6,046 posts, read 6,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I love where I live (native), and love it so much that Ive yet to find a comparable place to live. So, what that means is that Ill work here (God willing) my whole life, and when its time to retire, unless I find somewhere comparable, Im staying put. I wouldnt mind retiring to New Mexico, but their cities there leave much to be desired compared to Chicagoland. Unless things improve drastically in NM within the next 25 years, Its going to be real hard to want to retire elsewhere.
I live in New Mexico and take offense to your statement that the cities leave much to be desired compared to Chicago. I like it here just fine, as do many others that live here. Have you ever thought maybe the problem is you and not New Mexico (since so many people like the cities that you claim leave much to be desired)? I grew up in New England so don't say I only like it here because it's all I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.