U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,992 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate from college and am looking for a place to settle down. I grew up in Portland, Oregon but grew weary of the cold damp and constant rain. I am attending college in Charleston, South Carolina and while I love the weather and people I would like to be exposed to more art, culture, and visual performances.

Do any cities come to mind that fit this criteria:

Reasonable Cost
Warm Climate - ie 70s-80s half the year, some seasonal change, preferably less then 1 foot of snow
Good school system (teaching profession)
Close to performance centers - ie plays, dance performances, opera
Not too conservative
Exposure to art
Shopping destinations

Thanks!

Last edited by alyshae; 10-19-2009 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 07:02 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,124,283 times
Durham, NC seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,212,348 times
If Charleston doesn't do it art-wise, I am skeptical that Durham would.

It would need to be somewhere big, like New Orleans, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, etc.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:01 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,049,469 times
Maybe Dallas

Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,020,104 times
San Diego or Newport Beach/Costa Mesa CA

Old 10-20-2009, 01:48 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
San Diego or Newport Beach/Costa Mesa CA
Reasonable cost of living?

"Looking for warm climate, good school system, reasonable cost and close proximity to art & performance centers."

Old 10-20-2009, 02:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,175,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Maybe Dallas
Yep, Dallas or Houston (inside the city close to the arts districts).

Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,124,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
If Charleston doesn't do it art-wise, I am skeptical that Durham would.

It would need to be somewhere big, like New Orleans, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, etc.
Durham has recently added the Nasher Art Museum and the Durham Peroforming Arts Center. Both of these are pulling in some top caliber displays & performances. Additionally, Charleston is a bit isolated from other cities and their offerings, but Durham has very easy access to Chapel Hill & Raleigh which also boast a range of cultural offerings.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,675,646 times
I think Dallas, Houston, or Austin would be a good fit.

Austin:

Austin has every thing you are looking for with the exception of opera. I've been to to some of Austin's art museums and I can confess that they are very good, but the city really doesn't come close to Houston or Dallas in terms of visual and preforming arts (well with the exception of film and modern day music). The city is fairly liberal and has a really good public school system especially for a city of it's size. The city is also about the same size of Portland.

Houston:

Houston probably has museum district, art scene, opera, and theater district in the South (although I think Dallas might actually rank above Houston in theater depending on who you ask). Although the suburbs are pretty conservative, the city it's self i pretty liberal. If your interested in living in the city, a good school district, and near the Museum District, I would look into places like Bellaire, The Rice Village, and Montrose. Although, those neighborhoods can get a bit pricy, but Bellaire has one of the best public high schools in Texas. Of course, the biggest drawback from what you said would be Houston's rainy and muggy weather sense that is one of the things you didn't like about Portland.

Dallas and Fort Worth:

The Dallas/Fort Worth area have more museums designed by Pritzker prize winning architects than I care to mention. Dallas is also in the process of building/planning huge additions to its museum district. After the additions the city's museum district, it will have largest museum district in the country. These additions are a part of the $12 billion the city is spending on renovations, and that is just in Dallas. Fort Worth and Arlington also have some projects of their own. I don't know as much about the Dallas schools and neighborhoods as I do Houston or Austin.

Savannah might also be a good city to look into. Savannah School of Art and Design (SCAD), is one of the best art schools in the country. It attracts a lot of high end art to Savannah that wouldn't normally be present in a town that size.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,864 times
Default Charlotte, NC

I have been doing a lot of study on warm, safe, modern progressive cities to live in and my top pick is Charlotte, NC. The area is growing, the suburbs are beautiful and safe and the school system is very good. There is so much going on from Art Gallery Crawls on Friday nights to an outstanding art center called the Mint. Check out the Mint's website as they have more going on there then I could ever mention. There is a lot of culture, fun and great shopping in Charlotte. I found Charlotte to be clean, modern with an eduated population and a young mayor who is very progressive. The climate is outstanding for warm weather lovers. I liked the Charlotte suburb, Concord. Kannapolis, a town northeast of Charlotte, is home to a huge research complex that will be bringing biotech companies to the area. I think Charlotte is really going to grow in very positive ways. Try Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or