U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these metro areas is the best in which to live--based on cost of living, quality of life, e
Gainsville, FL 7 17.95%
Bellingham, WA 3 7.69%
Portland, OR 11 28.21%
Colorado Springs, CO 12 30.77%
Ann Arbor, MI 5 12.82%
Ogden, UT 1 2.56%
Asheville, NC 7 17.95%
Ft. Collins/Loveland, CO 5 12.82%
San Luis Obispo, CA 7 17.95%
Boise, ID 1 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:38 PM

17 posts, read 54,474 times

Advertisements

I'd definately have to go with portland because it just seems like the most obvious choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 PM

812 posts, read 3,583,678 times
Ogden, eh? Surprised to see it... my mom was born and raised there, and everytime she's back in UT visiting her relatives, she's dismayed at how far it's fallen... and her sisters that still live in the Greater Salt Lake area are in agreement.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 AM

673 posts, read 3,752,788 times
I guess we all have opinions, I guess I gravitate though towards my hometown so I am a bit biased.

I am originally from Colorado Springs its my hometown.

I think Colorado Springs is fairly boring overall, its got a very nice small downtown though.

But I think the quality of living is very, very high in Colorado Springs. The violent crime rate in the COS is very low for a city its size, the people overall are very happy so evidently most of the people who live there enjoy it. Its a very, very clean city. The apartment rents are very, very reasonable but the economy could be better, but its okay.

The weather is usually very moderate also. Colorado Springs gets sub-zero occasionally and also can get into the upper 90s. But overall most days are sunny with mild winter days (40s and 50s and if the chinook wind is strong 60s). The summers are sunny in the morning, with a shower in the afternoon typically and usually highs are in the 80s with low humidity and usually its so cool on the summer nights that one needs a sweater or a light jacket even in Northern and Western El Paso County where the elevation is higher.

The parks and recreational oppurtunity is amazing in Colorado Springs. I love the huge, huge Cheyenne Mountain park area and Palmer Park with tons of hiking in the adjacent areas.

Additionally, what Colorado Springs lacks is an hour away in Denver (the city borders are about 45 miles from Denver to Colorado Springs) which is a great, overall very friendly city with great neighborhoods and a great downtown which has alot more energy then COS does.

Overall, I do think Colorado Springs is a great city overall but with two exceptions it could be more entertaining for sure although its gotten alot better and the economy it would be nice if it was as good as was in 2000.

Last edited by MattDen; 05-10-2007 at 02:05 AM..

Old 05-12-2007, 09:19 AM

149 posts, read 412,485 times
Ann Arbor is a horrible place right now. It has gotten sucked into the giant economic black hole that is Metro Detroit. I work for the largest private employer in the City and people frequently comment how tey are "happy just to have a job still.". If somebody lost their job they'd be hosed. The general morale of the population is very low. Ironically, most educated people are on their way out too. We have an IT/Accoutning job posted and have not received a single qualified resume in the four weeks its been up. We're just assuming anybody qualified has already left the state. Winter are also very harsh.

Is it nice, yes. top ten in the Nation.... No Way.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:07 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,935 times
I think they really need to take a look at Portland and justify how this city is getting these high marks, It has to be they are taking the west side of this city where the affluent live. The rest of this city is high on drugs especially meth and crime, and mentally ill that wander the streets riding the light rail for free. It is fine to give city's high marks, it is also only fair to list the reasons, and if it is based on walkability, and public transit, and within a hour to ocean and mountains, Im sorry that is not enough of a basis to say this is a best place to live. I think people reading these best lists especially those that will pack up and go there, really need to do their homework, and see no place is that great, please do your homework on this one, unless you are well off, and can live on the west side of this town, you would definitely wonder how could this town be rated best with what you will see here, especially if you ride the transit, ride a bike and have to deal with the east side, the north side or the southeast side of Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or