U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these metro areas is the best in which to live--based on cost of living, quality of life, e
Gainsville, FL 7 17.95%
Bellingham, WA 3 7.69%
Portland, OR 11 28.21%
Colorado Springs, CO 12 30.77%
Ann Arbor, MI 5 12.82%
Ogden, UT 1 2.56%
Asheville, NC 7 17.95%
Ft. Collins/Loveland, CO 5 12.82%
San Luis Obispo, CA 7 17.95%
Boise, ID 1 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:24 AM

353 posts, read 378,798 times

Advertisements

Sperlings' Best Places has a new top-ten out for America's best cities. Here's their list:

Top Ten Ranked Cities
1. Gainesville, FL
2. Bellingham, WA
3. Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA
4. Colorado Springs, CO
5. Ann Arbor, MI
6. Ogden-Clearfield, UT
7. Asheville, NC
8. Fort Collins-Loveland, CO
9. San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles, CA
10. Boise City-Nampa, ID

It's a real interesting mix of places that are quite a bit different from eachother. But I must point out that Colorado is the only state with metro areas in the top-ten. What a great state!

Please choose three cities from the poll above, and rank them based on quality of life, job availability, schools, affordability,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 09:58 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,439,584 times
Ann Arbor, MI or Colorado Springs, CO, both are lovely.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ann Arbor, MI or Colorado Springs, CO, both are lovely.

They're quite a bit different, aren't they? I've never been to Ann Arbor, but from what I hear, it's a real 180 from Colorado Springs.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,439,584 times
Theyre different, but similar in many ways. Hard to describe... COS is much more modern and up-n-coming, but Ann Arbor is very nice. I actually like Ann Arbor more, its not a boomburb and its housing stock is much more interesting. COS definitely has the edge in scenery, but MI is also very beautiful in many areas. If I had the choice to move to either of those cities, Id have the darned hardest time choosing. My heart says MI, but I also love CO. Gee, come to think of it, Id drive myself crazy debating which city to move to! LOL

Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 AM

788 posts, read 3,771,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Sperlings' Best Places has a new top-ten out for America's best cities. Here's their list:

Top Ten Ranked Cities
1. Gainesville, FL
2. Bellingham, WA
3. Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA
4. Colorado Springs, CO
5. Ann Arbor, MI
6. Ogden-Clearfield, UT
7. Asheville, NC
8. Fort Collins-Loveland, CO
9. San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles, CA
10. Boise City-Nampa, ID

It's a real interesting mix of places that are quite a bit different from eachother. But I must point out that Colorado is the only state with metro areas in the top-ten. What a great state!

Please choose three cities from the poll above, and rank them based on quality of life, job availability, schools, affordability,etc.
Hi Rawlings,

Where did you find this? Could you give me the internet link?

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM

30,230 posts, read 67,379,434 times
Having never been to any of these cities, I'll have to reserve my judgments. However, I'm a huge supporter of seeing the Rust Belt bounce back, so Ann Arbor would likely be my choice. It's also supposed to be a city that caters to college students, has impressive architecture, and has a population that is tolerant of the GLBT community, all of which are assets in my book! I really should check out Ann Arbor someday; is it better than Scranton?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM

792 posts, read 2,904,358 times
Usually these rankings of best places are in actuality, amongst the last places I would desire to live....stats don't measure up to intrinsic values and it is amazing how much the issue of sprawl and general hospitality of a region is ignored. Some you take the good with the bad: Portland and Boise for example: some sound reasons and and some big negatives though as well. This list isn't nearly so bad from my vantage point as others except for the very #1 spot: Gainesville??? Uggh. Great place to go to college, but besides that? Congestion in town and typical sprawl that goes along with that "suburbia" feel, alot of weird drifters, and plenty of humidity in the worse part of the state to be- not in the vicinity of either of the oceans. Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:36 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,169,219 times
I've never been to any of these places either. I've been close to Gainesville and I agree with stuntman's assessment of North Florida. The only places I've heard good things about are Asheville and Ann Arbor. I've heard that Colorado Springs is very sprawly, which doesn't appeal to me, but who knows if that's accurate info. The rest are almost entirely unknown to me.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:26 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,342,575 times
San Luis Obisbo is a great town. It is a college-oriented town near the california coast, about halfway between san francsico and los angeles.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Thank you kind sir (or madam?).
LOL. Sir. It's sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or