U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Central Valley of California. We had snow available to us every winter in the nearby Sierra Nevada mountains, I skied, snowshoed and camped in the snow a lot.

But the Valley is socked in with over-cast and fog all winter long. The clouds can not get up over the Sierra Nevadas, so they plug the Valley.

Winters for my siblings and parents are 5 months of overcast and fog.

I now live in Maine. We have snow from November thru March. It is most often sunny, clear and bright here in the winter. It is not dark so much.

I do not wear sunglasses in the summer here, but I do wear them in the winter. The glare is very bright.

Most of our snow is a dry snow, not a wet snow.

Where I grew-up winters were dark and gloomy, but here they are bright and sunny.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 10:57 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,208,720 times
I'm sick of people saying that California, particularly Southern California, doesn't have seasons. Live here for a year and you'll notice a difference in temperature, weather, and vegetation between February and August. You'll notice how green everything becomes in the winter and then then dries out again in the summer. Plenty of people in SoCal know what snow is. I grew up in the Northeast, but I never once had to buy snow chains until I moved to LA. Many days in the winter, they will not let you drive through the mountains without them.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:17 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,397,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_kid86 View Post
Some areas (like "Michiana") only have two seasons; hot summers and cold, long winters. Spring shows its face for a little while but fall seems to not exist anymore. The snow is very nice, but by the end of January, you're pretty much sick of looking at it. The thought of another month and a half just makes it that much worse. Even though sometimes the snow is quite a drag, I wouldn't trade it for a 24/7 warm, sunny climate.
It's not that bad in Michiana. In fact, compared to areas North in both Michigan and Illinois, the weather doesn't get nearly as cold because of the lake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I'm sick of people saying that California, particularly Southern California, doesn't have seasons. Live here for a year and you'll notice a difference in temperature, weather, and vegetation between February and August. You'll notice how green everything becomes in the winter and then then dries out again in the summer. Plenty of people in SoCal know what snow is. I grew up in the Northeast, but I never once had to buy snow chains until I moved to LA. Many days in the winter, they will not let you drive through the mountains without them.
Yes but you know that going up a mountain is different than normal snow and because you lived in the Northeast you know that the experience is not the same.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:18 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Flip side: some of us hated growing up/living in '4 season' climates and moved away as soon as possible.
Pay no mind to this individual. He's not human, but rather a cyborg that sits in front of the computer and has 1 of 3 responses (all pertaining to his hatred of 4 season and how he's never been back to D.C. to visit). This is his response #2 in case you were wondering.

Life should be full of variety! Those who grew up w/o such things that the OP posted are truly missing out of some of life's best experiences. Places w/o variety are truly maddening, boring, and incredibly repetetive. No wonder people in Southern AZ flock outside when it snows out. Theyre amazed, full of smiles, having fun, and then when it melts the next day, theyre back to the same ol'-same ol'. Poor kids.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:22 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Brown lawns?

The Phx area is a lot greener than you may realize; especially the older enclaves--------besides; if done properly----------I like desert landscaping.
I like xeric landscaping, too, but to say PHX is green, youre obviously blind. Visit, say, Miami, then tell me PHX is "green". Thats an absolute joke and you know it!!!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:50 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,042,548 times
Florida does have seasons, Hot and Not as Hot. I love the winters in Florida but wish I could spend the summers someplace not nearly as hot. I love the feeling of walking out on a crisp morning with the slight frost on the grass, and yes even in Florida we get that. When the holidays roll around, I always get the urge to go home to South Dakota to visit. Most times I wise up, and start looking at flights starting in April. This time however, I am making a trip there in early November, although there are other wonderful reasons this time than just the weather.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:15 PM

517 posts, read 1,155,998 times
I love Fall time in Norcal....it was 80 degrees today. Gotta love those Indian Summers

Old 10-24-2009, 08:52 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
I love Fall time in Norcal....it was 80 degrees today. Gotta love those Indian Summers
yes and the leaves on the trees change colors, along with all the colors of the vineyards, apple orchards and pumpkin patches everywhere...shocker.. I am also dreading going to Tahoe for the non wintery stuff... :/

Last edited by grapico; 10-24-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-24-2009, 10:44 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,208,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Yes but you know that going up a mountain is different than normal snow and because you lived in the Northeast you know that the experience is not the same.
Of course the experience is not the same. LA is 3,000 miles from the Northeast. Why should I expect it to be the same? The point I was making is that you still have "variety" here. Last February, I took one weekend and drove to Santa Barbara. 1 1/2 hours from my home and I was surrounded by palm trees, wide beaches, and gorgeous Mediterranean architecture. The following weekend I drove 2 hours in the other direction to Big Bear Lake. Rustic cabins, pine forests, and plenty of snow awaited me this time. I could never get that much variety in such close proximity when I lived in the northeast. Yes, I miss Fall. I miss pumpkins, apple cider, and hay rides. But I don't dwell on that. Instead, I focus on the things that I can get here that I couldn't get when I lived on the other coast.

Besides, the climate of California isn't unique to this region, as others have said. There's a reason why it's called a "Mediterranean" climate and not a "Southern Pacific climate". You'll find similar weather in southern Spain, Italy, and Greece. I guess those poor souls in Barcelona are terribly missing out on all the good things in life as well?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,347,410 times
Interesting thread here. I've thought about this recently and I have to say that one of the things that I find kind of boring is the fact that in Los Angeles, you really have no seasons. You don't really know whether it is Fall, Summer, Winter or whatever season it is. Yesterday in my area, the temperature was a little warm. The Weather Channel showed that it was a warm 91F. It will be 84F on Sunday followed by 87F on Monday and this is late October. I find that a bit unusual. The temperatures tend to jump constantly, they fluctuate. When I say its unusual to have it be in the high 80s this time of year, I'm not being negative at all.

Steve-O has a valid point on two things. Someone who hates 4 season weather shouldn't constantly express it because that gets REALLY old. Second of all, living in a place with seasons is kind of exciting in its own way because you see something different. Variety is actually a good thing. I've spent quite a bit of time up in Oregon. Yes Oregon does have seasons and does get cold in the winter. Their winters are great because of the rain and fresh air People in colder climates like Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland tend to have better skin than people in the warmer climates for the most part. Why? One of the reasons I think this is the case is because they aren't constantly exposed to sunshine and their skin stays healthier. Cold weather can also be better for your health. It certainly makes me feel better physically and mentally. I think you do miss out on the seasons if you live somewhere that does not have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or