U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:08 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,484,876 times

Advertisements

It's funny, most people classify California as this great area of sunshine, sand, and surfing, but it's really not true. I've spent my entire life in a small town in the foothills of the majestic Sierra Nevada. We definitely get four seasons, and if there's one season I could do without, it's summer. Winters here are great. We get just enough snow to be interesting, but not enough to be a real hassle. The most I can ever remember having on the ground is 2 feet, and it all fell withing a 24 hour period, and was gone a week later. It gets cold, but not that cold. The coldest temperature I can remember is about 12 degrees. It was cold, but I live on some property with a lot of trees, so I never run out of firewood. There's nothing like sitting around the fireplace when the snow is coming down (and in California, when it snows, it really snows; 6 inches per hour is common, with 8 or 9 inches per hour not unheard of). When we get a snowstorm, you just stop what you're doing and wait it out, it's not like you could go anywhere even if you wanted to. A few years back, we had a very strong winter storm come through. It had lower pressure than a Cat 3 hurricane, and winds over the ridge tops topped 160 miles per hour. Some places got 10 feet of snow in 2 days. Hell, there are places in the Sierra that routinely have 60 feet of snow on the ground (not a typo) in the winter. Spring is nice, it rains a lot, and everything is green. We have a nice mix of evergreens and deciduous plants, the vineyards and the orchards turn brilliant shades of yellow/orange come fall, and don't get me started about the aspen groves. Fall also signals the end of the all important fire season. Wildfire is really the worst natural disaster in CA, despite our reputation for earthquakes. Summer is HOT, and my least favorite season. It routinely gets over 100 degrees, and stays that way for weeks. But, it's a dry heat. Swamp coolers work wonders in our climate, and really save on the electricity bill when compared to air conditioners.

Overall, I can't imagine living somewhere that didn't have all four seasons. I love the diversity in climates that we have here. Some places out West certainly don't have the four seasons. But where I live absolutely does, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:30 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,996,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
i agree somewhat with what you said. except i live in florida and we have maple and oak trees. and ive seen icicle's, ice on trees, and our maple trees turn colors in the fall and shed off all of their leaves in the winter. And our grass is real grass, its a different type of grass. just because you dont like st augustine grass doesnt mean it isnt real grass. I like st augustine grass better then the grass they have up north.
You don't mention what part of Florida you're in, that's why I made the point of clarifying that I was only speaking about Southeast Florida. Trust me, in SE Fla we have NO icicles and NO maples changing color, I wish, lol. As far as the grass, each to their own, again. It sounds like you live in a nice part of the state, enjoy!

Old 10-25-2009, 06:57 AM

3,258 posts, read 8,043,183 times
Northern Florida does have a lot more of a climate similar to that of Georgia, including the changing of the leaves, and in some areas it is very hilly. It's a completely different world to someplace like Miami.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 AM

21,148 posts, read 37,470,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Pay no mind to this individual. He's not human, but rather a cyborg that sits in front of the computer and has 1 of 3 responses (all pertaining to his hatred of 4 season and how he's never been back to D.C. to visit). This is his response #2 in case you were wondering.

Life should be full of variety! Those who grew up w/o such things that the OP posted are truly missing out of some of life's best experiences. Places w/o variety are truly maddening, boring, and incredibly repetetive. No wonder people in Southern AZ flock outside when it snows out. Theyre amazed, full of smiles, having fun, and then when it melts the next day, theyre back to the same ol'-same ol'. Poor kids.
Steve-o: you are offended that I have no desire to visit places like Chicago----------which is my right. Never mind that on the Phoenix Forum you throw your temper tantrums since I vastly prefer living here.

Needless to say: I do NOT head over to the Chicago, etc. Forums and make derogatory comments about the folks who prefer living there; I may not understand their reasons but I respect them-------------I strongly suggest that you give me the same respect for me and Arizona, OK?

Old 10-25-2009, 11:22 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,963,866 times
I love the fluffy snow.. the hard, icy, wet snow sucks.

But i totally see where you're coming from, growing up in NJ I still appreciate the beautiful change in scenery we have 4 times a year. Right now the leaves are almost at its peak and my whole block is with shades of red, yellow and orange and all the houses have pumpkins or other halloween decorations.. I'll never get over it.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:11 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,347,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Steve-o: you are offended that I have no desire to visit places like Chicago----------which is my right. Never mind that on the Phoenix Forum you throw your temper tantrums since I vastly prefer living here.

Needless to say: I do NOT head over to the Chicago, etc. Forums and make derogatory comments about the folks who prefer living there; I may not understand their reasons but I respect them-------------I strongly suggest that you give me the same respect for me and Arizona, OK?
He's not offended. I think what seems to be going on here is that he just made a comment in the first sentence which I think is going a bit too far. And also, there is an old saying that respect isn't given, its earned. I can ask someone to respect me all I want to, but that does not mean they will. Life's not fair, that's the way I look at it. Steve-O is a respected contributor on this forum. I may not agree with what he says sometimes, but the comment he made in the rest of his post is far from derogatory.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:49 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,420,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Someone who hates 4 season weather shouldn't constantly express it because that gets REALLY old.
How is that any different than some of the posters on here who hate climates w/o 4 seasons that constantly remind the forum of that? It does get really old that some people living in 4 season climates feel the need to constantly tell others how much better it is and how we all should prefer it.
Quote:
It certainly makes me feel better physically and mentally.
That's subjective, plenty people hate how the cold makes them feel both physically and mentally.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:01 PM

294 posts, read 580,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Except to all the millions of people that have moved from a traditional 4 season climate to a sunny mild-warm year round one. Speak for yourself but plenty of people do not need or want 4 seasons.

Me and my coworkers were having this conversation yesterday, including some that grew up in the Northeast. They'd rather live in a climate like SoCal and visit the seasons. Some people just don't like cold weather, even Northern CA's are too cold to me and SoCal gets a little too chilly too imo, especially at night in winter.

Everyone has different tastes, to each their own.

Do you even realize that you are speaking to a biased crowd? It's not surprising that they don't like cold weather since they moved away from it. Ask people in the North and they will talk about how nasty the constant heat and sun gets after a while. Its nice not to have to put suntan lotion on every day and sweat constantly. Cold weather is underrated, its much easier to stay warm then it is to cool off from extreme heat.

I hope you realize that the mistique of the sun belt is dying. California and florida have lost population in the last year! The low taxes, available jobs, and crowded-ness are all evening out with other areas, and guess what? People are not moving there as fast anymore. The weather had a lot less to do with the sun belt boom then you would want to believe.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM

294 posts, read 580,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How is that any different than some of the posters on here who hate climates w/o 4 seasons that constantly remind the forum of that? It does get really old that some people living in 4 season climates feel the need to constantly tell others how much better it is and how we all should prefer it.
That's subjective, plenty people hate how the cold makes them feel both physically and mentally.

You do realize that people feel the same way about heat, don't you? So in the north, deal with the cold for like 3-4 months, and get comfortable weather the rest of the year. In warm areas, you can get about 3-4 months, (maybe more) where it is horribly hot outside. This is much more taxing mentally and physically than the cold ever is.

However, since everyone spends most of their lives indoors anymore anyways, so much does it really effect anyone?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:24 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,420,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
Do you even realize that you are speaking to a biased crowd? It's not surprising that they don't like cold weather since they moved away from it. Ask people in the North and they will talk about how nasty the constant heat and sun gets after a while. Its nice not to have to put suntan lotion on every day and sweat constantly. Cold weather is underrated, its much easier to stay warm then it is to cool off from extreme heat.
And do YOU realize that you are speaking to a biased crowd up north too? It's the same thing!

That's fine that you and others prefer cold weather, but realize plenty of people are the opposite of that and they are not wrong for feeling that way. That is what I trying to point out but you keep insisting that people should prefer cold weather based on YOUR PERSONAL reasons.

Quote:
I hope you realize that the mistique of the sun belt is dying. California and florida have lost population in the last year! The low taxes, available jobs, and crowded-ness are all evening out with other areas, and guess what? People are not moving there as fast anymore. The weather had a lot less to do with the sun belt boom then you would want to believe.
CA did NOT lose any population and it increased like it does EVERY year. Florida didn't lose people either. Births and immigration make up for the people that have left the state.

Funny how some people try to use this recession and its immediate effects as something that points to some coming long term trend of the decline of the sunbelt. It's kind of sad and pathetic how some people, mainly those in northern states on this forum, want to see the sunbelt fail and lose people. Try looking at long term trends rather than what has happened in the past year or two instead. And I'm not saying the sunbelt is better b/c of the weather or other reasons, everyplace has good and bad points about them imo.

Last edited by sav858; 10-26-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or