U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,163,327 times

Advertisements

Instead of bickering over hot vs cold ........Enjoy your temperatures that you've chosen and find joy in your like or dislike of certain forms of weather.

I should say......Be glad you don't have "Cold Urticaria" ......Which is being "allergic" to the cold.
If you had this, you wouldn't get the choice of liking the joys of both kinds of weather seasons.
Our little fellow( 4 yr. old ) in the family has just been diagnoised with this. It means no snow, no cold lakes,
no outside in under 62 degrees, no ice skates, no cold air sports. It also means no waiting at the bus stop, no recess in the cold, no out on the lake in the boat,with a dip in. Any of these things could cause "shock."

Know that you are the lucky ones.......To pick and choose your favorite place and location to live.
To be able to pick and choose your seasons, cold or hot.

I wish his parents would have that choice, but the urticaria will be choosing their place to live.

Your all very lucky......and whichever is your choice.......at least its yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 05:45 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,986,883 times
Default Interesting that you mention this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Instead of bickering over hot vs cold ........Enjoy your temperatures that you've chosen and find joy in your like or dislike of certain forms of weather.

I should say......Be glad you don't have "Cold Urticaria" ......Which is being "allergic" to the cold.
If you had this, you wouldn't get the choice of liking the joys of both kinds of weather seasons.
Our little fellow( 4 yr. old ) in the family has just been diagnoised with this. It means no snow, no cold lakes,
no outside in under 62 degrees, no ice skates, no cold air sports. It also means no waiting at the bus stop, no recess in the cold, no out on the lake in the boat,with a dip in. Any of these things could cause "shock."

Know that you are the lucky ones.......To pick and choose your favorite place and location to live.
To be able to pick and choose your seasons, cold or hot.

I wish his parents would have that choice, but the urticaria will be choosing their place to live.

Your all very lucky......and whichever is your choice.......at least its yours.
because I have the exact opposite, sun and heat urticaria. I had outbreaks in NY, but only in the summer. It has gotten so much worse living in Florida. Fall is actually the worst season; months and months of non stop heat. I have to go outside with the kids for PE and recess. There is no shade. I sit under an umbrella and wear UV block clothing, but it is brutal. When the temp on the basketball court was 120 degrees, I thought I would going to die. My hives were so red, even covered up, I thought they going to burst and bleed. They itched for hours even when I went in AC. My dermatologist gave me cortisone cream, but the only thing that really makes them go away is COLD. Anything over 70 degrees, heaven on earth for most people, is enough to send me running inside.

We hear so many stories of people and their winter SAD and cold allergies, but you need to know that there is also the other side of the coin too -- summer SAD and sun and heat allergies.

Well, maybe there is a bright side to this. It may be my quick ticket out of here.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,350,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
Do you even realize that you are speaking to a biased crowd? It's not surprising that they don't like cold weather since they moved away from it. Ask people in the North and they will talk about how nasty the constant heat and sun gets after a while. Its nice not to have to put suntan lotion on every day and sweat constantly. Cold weather is underrated, its much easier to stay warm then it is to cool off from extreme heat.

I hope you realize that the mistique of the sun belt is dying. California and florida have lost population in the last year! The low taxes, available jobs, and crowded-ness are all evening out with other areas, and guess what? People are not moving there as fast anymore. The weather had a lot less to do with the sun belt boom then you would want to believe.
I don't live in the Northern US and the thing is I remember very well that earlier in the summer, there were days where I did not even want to go out and wait for a bus so that I could go to the YMCA near me to exercise. What does that tell you? That means that when it gets past a certain temperature, walking outside or even waiting for a bus is going to be a problem because by the time you get on the bus, you will have sweated quite a bit. Today although in my area it is now 87F with low humidity, I didn't even want to get off the bus early to walk home because I knew I'd sweat. In my experience it certainly IS easier to stay warm than to try to cool off because the sun is hitting you in the face while you are trying to get to your destination. You have a very logical point there. Yes, you are also right because a lot of people are moving out of CA to go to other parts of the country where they can live with less stress. if I could, I'd probably move out of L.A., not because I don't like it but because it would be nice to try someplace new. But with the national economy the way it is I'm staying where I am for now.

I'm not saying that where I live is a bad place. On the contrary, L.A. has lots of good things but in the inland valleys, the temperatures fluctuate too much IMO and the air quality is the worst in the nation. Go to the American Lung Association's web site if you want to find the statistics. In my opinion, one of the biggest reasons people move to CA is because they want to make it big in the entertainment business. Not all of them do this, but many do. Also, there are people who LOVE year round sunny weather. I'm not one of them.

Everyone is going to have their tastes as to what kind of weather they choose to put up with, so let's all agree to disagree

Last edited by AliveandWell; 10-26-2009 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: to add more text

Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,724,774 times
Texas does have four seasons; our winters are just cut short. Get over the stereotypes and move on.

No, we don't get as much snow as up north, but your climates dips down into the 30s and 40s quite often (whether you consider it cold or not; its still winter weather). It isn't rare to have to throw on a coat and boots during the months of November until about April. Our trees change colors and leaves fall during fall, our flowers bloom during the spring, and more.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,966,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
What is there to hate about 4 season climates? If its the winter, well you can live in places that don't get very cold or much snow in "winter" yet still have 4 functioning seasons.

Living in a place with 100% sunshine all year, with seasonal variations of hot hotter and hottest, sounds like hell on earth to most normal people, as it should. These are fun places to visit, but living and vacationing are two different animals.
Quite a few million people are quite happy with warm weather year round, have no desire for even what to you is a mild winter but to them would be terrible.
The vast majority of these people are quite normal, I am sure the rate of normalcy equal that of people who like places that get cold weather.

In fact contrary to what many believe on this board, you will find higher populations where the average annual temperature is above 78%. There are many factors that play into this and temperature is only one small part but the Billions of people that live where it is above 75 degrees most of the time are just proof that warmer weather is normal for most.

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~small/...SmallCohen.pdf

Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,406,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Quite a few million people are quite happy with warm weather year round, have no desire for even what to you is a mild winter but to them would be terrible.
The vast majority of these people are quite normal, I am sure the rate of normalcy equal that of people who like places that get cold weather.

In fact contrary to what many believe on this board, you will find higher populations where the average annual temperature is above 78%. There are many factors that play into this and temperature is only one small part but the Billions of people that live where it is above 75 degrees most of the time are just proof that warmer weather is normal for most.

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~small/PDF/ISDE_SmallCohen.pdf
75 degrees isn't exactly warmer weather. Once you get to about 85 then it is.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,724,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
70-75 with mid humidity is PERFECT! However, I'd place it in the warmer climate before cold.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Exactly. Just look at the development and population trends since the birth of our nation...The "cold" North grew like crazy. Easier to light a fire then fan yourself on the porch crying about the "vapors".

Beyond that, MOST people USED to work hard for a living in this nation and as a person who does so for a living myself, I can tell you without a doubt that you can sweat like a pig even in 40 degree weather...nevermind 90 degree weather.

As a "hard worker" I much much much prefer a cold climate. I spend most days in the Winter with nothing more than a sweater on and you can see the steam rise off of me. You know, hard work equals burning calories - burning calories equals heat.
Ask yourself a few questions and see if what you posted really means anything.

Where did most of the early immigrants come from?
How did they get here?
Did early settlers move around much?

I'll help you out, most early settlers where from Northern Europe which lo and behold has a similar climate to the northern parts of the U.S.

They came by boat and most are going to take the shortest and most direct route putting them, you guessed it, in the north.

Once here they did not expand out of those areas much, that would take time.

The temperature of the north had minimal if any impact on the early growth up north. It had to do with them already being there.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
We are talking average annual temperature, not a high of 75.

To give you perspective Tampa, Fl has an average annual temp of about 72.5, Miami is 75.9

Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,406,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
We are talking average annual temperature, not a high of 75.

To give you perspective Tampa, Fl has an average annual temp of about 72.5, Miami is 75.9
Gotcha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or