Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:06 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Miami is cooler than Naples (Gulf Coast). Never knew that. Are they including in average temps in the NIGHT in February when it might get into the 50s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Silly thread. The planet is tilted on its axis. EVERYWHERE on Earth has seasons! Some are just more obvious than others. But in SoCal if the seasonal winds that blow down 50' trees and the crispness of the air and quality of light looks to non-natives just like summertime, then they're idiots to blame the climate for their lack of discernment.

As for snow living, it has a lot of attractions but basically no big deal one way or the other. It takes exactly one winter to get used to and I find no particular mystique in it. (But I admit I still don't drive in the stuff.) One thing that is absolutely depressing to me, though, is--when it's dark outside in the daytime or you want to keep the blinds drawn in older houses to keep the heat in--having to turn lamps on. Lamps on during daylight hours is so very heartsinking.

Last edited by Bunjee; 10-28-2009 at 12:48 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 PM

364 posts, read 877,803 times
The other day I was in the car with my mom, and as we were driving, the trees all around us blazing with color, my mom said "isnt it so beautiful? I cant imagine living in a place with no seasons...those people dont know what they are missing".

Its so true. Yes, every place has a seasonal change, but it is in the northern part of this country, as well as the mountains in my opinion, that have a TRUE 4 seasons. Winter is about snow...there is nothing "winter" about having a high of 55 in January in Florida and calling it an arctic outbreak. It isnt Fall if one trees leaves wilt off for 1 month while surrounded by palm trees. Fall is a sea of color lining every street. The spring greenup we see in May coming from the grayness of winter is a true transformation. And summer looks the same everywhere (it just doesnt get as hot in the north). A friend of mine lived in FL for 4 years....he said the people THINK they have a change of seasons, but they dont. Ive been on spring break in CA in Feb. The locals were wearing furry boats at 65 degrees.

Im not knocking those in warm climes...many of you love it. Just as I, and many others in the north, like our change of seasons. Im just saying, I agree with the OP- you are missing some stuff when you dont experience 4 seasons.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/m/MichiganSnowLvr/1830.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-28-2009, 10:26 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
Im not knocking those in warm climes...many of you love it. Just as I, and many others in the north, like our change of seasons. Im just saying, I agree with the OP- you are missing some stuff when you dont experience 4 seasons.
And you could say the same thing about people who live in "normal", four seasons climates. That they are missing out on things that you can get in places like California. I lived in a four season type area for my entire life before moving to LA. And from my perspective, there are things in California that I could never get when I lived in Maryland. Being only a few hours' drive from such a wide variety of natural scenery and micro climates....that's something I could never get back home. It could be 70 degrees at my house and 2 hours I'm skiing in fresh snow - again, could never experience that much variety in the same day back home.

Late last winter, I went to Santa Barbara for the day. Within an hour and a half, this was what I was surrounded with:

The following weekend, I went to Big Bear Lake. After only two hours in the car, this is what awaited me this time:

And I'm pretty sure there's absolutely nothing like this in Maryland:

So yes, I admit there are things that I'm missing out on by living in a place that doesn't have "real" seasons. But my point is, everybody's missing out on something no matter where they live.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:02 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I wonder how many of these people would "put up" with heat indexes of 100+ degrees, day after day, month after month, if they didn't have AC?
How do people deal with cold climates without heat? I can comment on that since I almost froze to death in the Wash DC area during the Blizzard of '77. That was the final straw that impelled me to leave.

Besides: many '4 season' places routinely have heat indices 100F+ during their summers. Again: Wash DC is an example of such.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:20 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
I've lived in a variety of climates - Michigan, Florida, Tennessee, Scotland and Uganda.

Michigan - hated the winters, but spring and autumn were nice.
Florida - too hot to live all year but nice in the SW in the winter.
Tennessee - loved the spring and autumn but summer was too hot.
Scotland - too much rain, unpredictable weather, can never plan a BBQ or anything outdoors.
Uganda - although on the equator we lived at a high elevation. Weather was just about perfect - rainy/dry seasons - daytime temps generally 70-85 - cool at night. However, this 'perfect' weather got monotonous.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:10 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default I walked home a mile and a half

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
How do people deal with cold climates without heat? I can comment on that since I almost froze to death in the Wash DC area during the Blizzard of '77. That was the final straw that impelled me to leave.

Besides: many '4 season' places routinely have heat indices 100F+ during their summers. Again: Wash DC is an example of such.
in the February 10, 1978 blizzard. I also grew up in NYC apartments where landlords didn't give heat in the winters, specially when the boilers broke. My Mom turned on the oven. I even went to sleep in my coat under blankets sometimes. When I was an adult and owned my own home, we had our kitchen rennovated and the back of our house torn down in February. We all slept down stairs and kept the fireplace going all night. There are ways to compensate for the cold.

What do you do for the heat without AC? Walk around stark naked? Stay under a cold shower ALL DAY?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:23 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
in the February 10, 1978 blizzard. I also grew up in NYC apartments where landlords didn't give heat in the winters, specially when the boilers broke. My Mom turned on the oven. I even went to sleep in my coat under blankets sometimes. When I was an adult and owned my own home, we had our kitchen rennovated and the back of our house torn down in February. We all slept down stairs and kept the fireplace going all night. There are ways to compensate for the cold.

What do you do for the heat without AC? Walk around stark naked? Stay under a cold shower ALL DAY?
Drinking water is usually enough for me and many others.
It doesn't get all that hot for me even though some people do not like it.

And I think a clarification was needed that the number of landlords in NYC that did provide heat far outnumber the small portion that did not.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:30 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Flip side: some of us hated growing up/living in '4 season' climates and moved away as soon as possible.
I completely agree! i grew up in upstate new york. I now live in Northern california. I feel like a lot of people want the opposite of what you grew up with, which i guess makes sense.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:49 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
This isn't just an issue for people living in the U.S. Many millions of people across the world live in tropical and subtropical climates...but there is this thing called "travel", so they are able to have information like "snow is wet" even though they don't live in a snowy area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.