Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:08 AM

10,163 posts, read 20,706,562 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the northeast, so my first year living in California it was a surreal moment to step outside on Christmas day and see neighbors BBQ'ing on a sunny 75 degree afternoon. I really missed having four seasons for the 8 yeras I lived out there. Now that I'm back in the northeast, I miss the milder and drier climate of the California Coast, and once the holidays are over, I'm sick of winter. But I like having snow from Thanksgiving to Christmas and New Year's, after that I'm done and ready for spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 09:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
I love snow! I sit around all winter hoping for a big 12" snow or more - but sadly those come about once every 5-6 years it seems.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:06 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,356,133 times
On the other side of the lake, we get those big snow dumps far more often. Once every two weeks on average.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,372,401 times
I can get to "winter" within an hour or two and come back home to 70 degree winter. California is nothing like Florida, so I don't think there is as much of the shock you speak of here.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:10 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,436,130 times
I grew up with 4 seasons and I can say from experience that 4 seasons are overrated. Spring and fall can be nice, but winter tends to dominate in true 4 season climates. A place with a mild winter may have 4 seasons, but it's not the same as living somewhere with a cold, long winter.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:39 AM

18,962 posts, read 32,437,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
This is not unique to just California, though the people that live there would try to have people believe otherwise. Any place near an ocean and tall mountains (there are many) experience micro-climates as well.
No one said it was unique or the only place like that, but there are few places in the US like that. A lot of places with tall mountains can be like that such as Arizona, New Mexico, etc.. but the only other places I can think of that has mild/warm winters with snow as close by that sits on the ocean is the Big Island of Hawaii and even then there are no ski resorts there.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:41 AM

18,962 posts, read 32,437,457 times
Quote:
What is there to hate about 4 season climates? If its the winter, well you can live in places that don't get very cold or much snow in "winter" yet still have 4 functioning seasons.

Living in a place with 100% sunshine all year, with seasonal variations of hot hotter and hottest, sounds like hell on earth to most normal people, as it should. These are fun places to visit, but living and vacationing are two different animals.
Except to all the millions of people that have moved from a traditional 4 season climate to a sunny mild-warm year round one. Speak for yourself but plenty of people do not need or want 4 seasons.

Me and my coworkers were having this conversation yesterday, including some that grew up in the Northeast. They'd rather live in a climate like SoCal and visit the seasons. Some people just don't like cold weather, even Northern CA's are too cold to me and SoCal gets a little too chilly too imo, especially at night in winter.

Everyone has different tastes, to each their own.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,391,021 times
Eh, I grew up in FL, now live in California... I don't miss the four seasons at all, and I lived "up north" for awhile... That is the main reason I left was the winter up north, to me, not worth it...It was cool during the holidays, but then waiting from jan until end of april for another 70 degree day, no thanks. I can still visit though as I love many of the cities. If I wanted snow now I can just drive to Tahoe or Yosemite.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,001,252 times
Quote:
What is there to hate about 4 season climates? If its the winter, well you can live in places that don't get very cold or much snow in "winter" yet still have 4 functioning seasons.

Living in a place with 100% sunshine all year, with seasonal variations of hot hotter and hottest, sounds like hell on earth to most normal people, as it should. These are fun places to visit, but living and vacationing are two different animals.
How about I hate cold for starters? A small amount of snow that lasts for a day or two is one thing---------when that crap hangs around for a week or longer especially coupled with black ice----------pass.

Besides: I resent having to work on rusty POS cars and trucks from places like Illinois, Wash DC, Minnesota, New York, etc. They do not pay any additional plus the odds are quite high of bolts shearing off, etc.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:30 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,259,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
How about I hate cold for starters? A small amount of snow that lasts for a day or two is one thing---------when that crap hangs around for a week or longer especially coupled with black ice----------pass.

Besides: I resent having to work on rusty POS cars and trucks from places like Illinois, Wash DC, Minnesota, New York, etc. They do not pay any additional plus the odds are quite high of bolts shearing off, etc.
I guess we just prefer black ice for a few months over brown lawns for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.