Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 04:29 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,596,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
Do you even realize that you are speaking to a biased crowd? It's not surprising that they don't like cold weather since they moved away from it. Ask people in the North and they will talk about how nasty the constant heat and sun gets after a while.
And this is not a biased crowd?

Why can't you just accept the fact that there are some people who don't have the same preference as you weather-wise? Why can't you just have your preference and let others have theirs, without finding the need to berate the other side as you do so [inaccruately] below? California has not lost population btw.

Quote:
I hope you realize that the mistique of the sun belt is dying. California and florida have lost population in the last year!

Quote:
You do realize that people feel the same way about heat, don't you?

And vice versa and vice versa! I personally can't stand the cold, but I'm not going to condemn those who prefer the cold. That's their choice and if it makes them happy, great!

Quote:
So in the north, deal with the cold for like 3-4 months, and get comfortable weather the rest of the year. In warm areas, you can get about 3-4 months, (maybe more) where it is horribly hot outside. This is much more taxing mentally and physically than the cold ever is.
Again, this is your opinion, not fact. For me, dealing with cold for 3-4 months out of the year is much more taxing mentally and physically than the heat ever is. See? I can say that too. And please, if you want to talk about "uncomfortable" weather, don't mention California. If anything, people on C-D complain about California's weather being "too comfortable" to the point of being boring. I hardly ever use air conditioning or heat. I just open a window and 70% of the time, that's enough. I'll take that over dealing with 3-4 months of cold shortly followed by 3-4 months of extreme heat with 80% humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 04:31 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,433,950 times
Quote:
You do realize that people feel the same way about heat, don't you?
Yes I do and that is why I said it's "SUBJECTIVE" b/c not everyone feels a certain way with regards to cold and heat.

Quote:
So in the north, deal with the cold for like 3-4 months, and get comfortable weather the rest of the year. In warm areas, you can get about 3-4 months, (maybe more) where it is horribly hot outside. This is much more taxing mentally and physically than the cold ever is.
Sure in your PERSONAL opinion, some people feel the opposite; that cold weather is worse to deal with and they are not wrong for feeling that way.
Quote:
However, since everyone spends most of their lives indoors anymore anyways, so much does it really effect anyone?
Not where I live, people spend A LOT of times outdoors. But yes in a lot of places people spend more time indoors it seems, probably a result of indoor climate control and maybe b/c most of the country has uncomfortable weather a lot of times.

This is a topic that is so subjective and personal, I don't get why people argue about it so much. Some like it mild, hot, cold, chilly, cool, sunny, rainy, etc... and no one is wrong for their preference. Some can put up with the snow and it doesn't bother them. Just as some can deal with heat and it doesn't bother them either.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:37 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,601,718 times
I wonder how many of these people would "put up" with heat indexes of 100+ degrees, day after day, month after month, if they didn't have AC?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,422 times
help dont know whAT IAM DOING anyone answere this ??????????

Old 10-26-2009, 04:56 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,372,093 times
Coastal Southern California doesn't get unbearably hot. I was once in D.C. in the summer and told him I was from San Diego. He said it must be awful hot down there. I didn't tell him it was 75 and mild and that it would be 70 and mild in the winter. Just pointing out that there are differences between "sunbelt" cities. I prefer Boston weather to Florida weather, but I prefer SoCal weather to both. Why? It's more pleasant to me.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 PM

294 posts, read 656,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And do YOU realize that you are speaking to a biased crowd up north too? It's the same thing!

That's fine that you and others prefer cold weather, but realize plenty of people are the opposite of that and they are not wrong for feeling that way. That is what I trying to point out but you keep insisting that people should prefer cold weather based on YOUR PERSONAL reasons.
The problem is that I never said this, please don't put words in my mouth. Just pointing out that most people aren't obsessed with having warm weather year-round, like many people such as yourself would like to believe.
Quote:
CA did NOT lose any population and it increased like it does EVERY year. Florida didn't lose people either. Births and immigration make up for the people that have left the state.
I guess you are not used to people citing sources to support their sides of the story. Well the truth is an entire different reality than the one you live in, apparently:

Florida:

Florida Suffers Rare Population Loss - Real Time Economics - WSJ
A Magnet No More: Florida's Population Shrinks : NPR

California:

California Bleedin' (Number 1 in net population loss)

California and Florida both experience net population loss last year, not to mention they are becoming leading states in the not so rosy statistic of domestic out-migration.

Take away the massive inflows of illegal/legal immigrants that arrive due to the convenient locations of the states, and the statistics would be much, much worse.

Quote:
Funny how some people try to use this recession and its immediate effects as something that points to some coming long term trend of the decline of the sunbelt. It's kind of sad and pathetic how some people, mainly those in northern states on this forum, want to see the sunbelt fail and lose people. Try looking at long term trends rather than what has happened in the past year or two instead. And I'm not saying the sunbelt is better b/c of the weather or other reasons, everyplace has good and bad points about them imo.
Lots of fallacies in this paragraph. Most people from the north do not "want to see the sunbelt fail" as you describe. Most arguments are started due to the arrogance of people from the sun belt that think that their levels of growth are sustainable and will continue on forever. People from the north are more realistic and can see right through the unsustainable growth of the sunbelt and they realize that stuff like jobs and cost of living will eventually even out, and the people will stop moving there. The fact that you think that these long term trends are supposed to continue indefinitely is present proof of this ignorant attitude.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM

294 posts, read 656,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is a topic that is so subjective and personal, I don't get why people argue about it so much. Some like it mild, hot, cold, chilly, cool, sunny, rainy, etc... and no one is wrong for their preference. Some can put up with the snow and it doesn't bother them. Just as some can deal with heat and it doesn't bother them either.

I agree with this, I am mainly arguing against the viewpoint that the sunbelt can do no wrong. The statistics state otherwise, I'm afraid. The bubble looks to have burst completely.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,921,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I wonder how many of these people would "put up" with heat indexes of 100+ degrees, day after day, month after month, if they didn't have AC?
Exactly. Just look at the development and population trends since the birth of our nation...The "cold" North grew like crazy. Easier to light a fire then fan yourself on the porch crying about the "vapors".

Beyond that, MOST people USED to work hard for a living in this nation and as a person who does so for a living myself, I can tell you without a doubt that you can sweat like a pig even in 40 degree weather...nevermind 90 degree weather.

As a "hard worker" I much much much prefer a cold climate. I spend most days in the Winter with nothing more than a sweater on and you can see the steam rise off of me. You know, hard work equals burning calories - burning calories equals heat.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,601,718 times
Default That is why my Dad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Exactly. Just look at the development and population trends since the birth of our nation...The "cold" North grew like crazy. Easier to light a fire then fan yourself on the porch crying about the "vapors".

Beyond that, MOST people USED to work hard for a living in this nation and as a person who does so for a living myself, I can tell you without a doubt that you can sweat like a pig even in 40 degree weather...nevermind 90 degree weather.

As a "hard worker" I much much much prefer a cold climate. I spend most days in the Winter with nothing more than a sweater on and you can see the steam rise off of me. You know, hard work equals burning calories - burning calories equals heat.
who was a dockworker in NY, dressed in layers in the winter. He said he would just peel off the layers during the day when he worked up a sweat working.

How much can you peel off, and not get arrested, when the temps are 90+ outside?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,091,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

About as many as would put up with freezing temps for months on end without heating and woodburning stoves.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.