U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:33 PM

1,276 posts, read 2,995,875 times

Advertisements

I can only speak about growing up in South Florida but I assume the same could be said for Southern California and Texas, you miss out on a lot of things when you grow up in an area with no seasons. I am a Florida native, and if I hadn't travelled quite a bit, I'd never of seen snow, and many natives I know still haven't seen snow. I had no idea snow was so wet. I have never seen the flowers and plants rejuvinate in the Spring, nor have I seen a tree's leaves change colors in the Fall. I have never smelled the smoky smell of leaves burning in the Fall or a field of wildflowers in the Spring. Until I travelled, I had never seen an Oak or Maple tree, or felt what real grass feels like, not the crab grass we have down here. I would have never seen an icicle and have never seen ice on trees. I was mystified the first time I saw a lake frozen over. These may seem like every day mundane things to most people, and some would argue that not all these things, like ice, are positive but I personally feel that you miss out on a lot of wonderful things in nature when you grow up without seasons. Does anybody agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,859,954 times
As a native Floridian myself it amazes me how green and full trees and vegatation come back in spring in Michigan. In the middle of winter I can see my kid's school bus coming from several blocks away through my second story window with all the leaves off the trees. In spring I can't even see the sidewalk in front of the house looking through the same window.

I think the fall to winter transition is my favorite due to the colors changing and looking forward to the first snowfall.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:16 PM

15,466 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I can only speak about growing up in South Florida but I assume the same could be said for Southern California
Southern CA has mountains where it there is seasons and snow in winter. And the some of the trees here do lose their leaves in winter then sprout back up in Spring.

But I do get what you are saying. I grew up in NorCal where winter is colder but it still never snowed where I lived. But we frequently went to the mountains in winter so I know what it's like to deal with snow and after a week or two I'm over it.

I like being able to visit seasons more so than living in a place with them, although I wouldn't be opposed to living in a place like that.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,462,318 times
Flip side: some of us hated growing up/living in '4 season' climates and moved away as soon as possible.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,288,042 times
Yeah, one thing different between Florida and Southern California is that we are anywhere from twenty minutes to 1.5 hours from our local mountains which essentially surround the entire region. A resident of the city of San Bernardino could be having a 70 degree December day and decide to jump in the car and head up the mountain and be in complete snow within 20 minutes. It still is different because you don't experience it daily, but it is still there for everyone to get their weekend in the snow and then you head back home.

Downtown Los Angeles for example is about 40 minutes from Mt. Baldy and probably one of the few angles in the USA where you have a city in 75 degree weather and a mountain covered in snow so close. We have crazy microclimates in So Cal.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 PM

294 posts, read 580,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Flip side: some of us hated growing up/living in '4 season' climates and moved away as soon as possible.

What is there to hate about 4 season climates? If its the winter, well you can live in places that don't get very cold or much snow in "winter" yet still have 4 functioning seasons.

Living in a place with 100% sunshine all year, with seasonal variations of hot hotter and hottest, sounds like hell on earth to most normal people, as it should. These are fun places to visit, but living and vacationing are two different animals.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:56 PM

294 posts, read 580,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Yeah, one thing different between Florida and Southern California is that we are anywhere from twenty minutes to 1.5 hours from our local mountains which essentially surround the entire region. A resident of the city of San Bernardino could be having a 70 degree December day and decide to jump in the car and head up the mountain and be in complete snow within 20 minutes. It still is different because you don't experience it daily, but it is still there for everyone to get their weekend in the snow and then you head back home.

Downtown Los Angeles for example is about 40 minutes from Mt. Baldy and probably one of the few angles in the USA where you have a city in 75 degree weather and a mountain covered in snow so close. We have crazy microclimates in So Cal.

This is not unique to just California, though the people that live there would try to have people believe otherwise. Any place near an ocean and tall mountains (there are many) experience micro-climates as well.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:07 PM

517 posts, read 1,155,723 times
I live in California and I don't feel like I am missing out on anything....If I want snow I will drive the 3 hours to Tahoe for the weekend. I feel like the East Coast is missing out on 300 days of sunshine =)

Old 10-23-2009, 05:04 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,995,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
What is there to hate about 4 season climates? If its the winter, well you can live in places that don't get very cold or much snow in "winter" yet still have 4 functioning seasons.

Living in a place with 100% sunshine all year, with seasonal variations of hot hotter and hottest, sounds like hell on earth to most normal people, as it should. These are fun places to visit, but living and vacationing are two different animals.
I agree completely, it's one thing to vacation in 85+ but quite another to live in it 24/7. Plus, in S. Florida we obviously don't have mountains and snaw close by to break up the monotony(sp?), it's a 6 hr.+ drive just to get out of the state. I know of someone who is moving his family, he's married w/ 2 small kids, up North to MI from Tampa, simply because he doesn't want his kids to grow up without seasons. I find it sad that I'm in my early 30s and still have never experienced Spring or Fall and all they entail.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 AM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
There is dry snow too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or