Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,045 times

Advertisements

hi all
i won green card lottery this year and after lots of thought i decide to move to USA and start my life all over again. so i have lots of question about it and i appreciate if you answer them :
(a little background: i am 24 yo, currently studying medicine in my country(iran) but since it is 7 year long and about 4 year of it is left so i decide to quit it and move to us, so i don't have any bs degree. i have no family in US just couples of friends in CA)

1. my first question is which city is low cost and affordable for a foreigner like me? i really love Maryland-north Carolina and CA because of my friends there. are these places good for me ?

2.how much money do you think is good enough to start a life in US?

3. i want to transfer my study to a college in US in pre med program so after that i can start medical school again, which universities do you know that accept the courses i passed easily and i can start from 3rd year of an undergraduate science program?

4.since i have green card am i eligible for loans and financial aids to pay my college and md school tuition? if yes is the money they give me cover the cost of living too?

5.can i get job there?

6. and my last question: living in USA is my life long dream but do you think i'm doing a right thing?

thabk you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
I apologize if this sounds cruel. I am not judging you by where you are from or your ethnic background. But I live in a highly diverse area and I beleive this is what you will experience.
-Since 9-11, Americans don't want to see/deal with a muslim/arab face. Its not fair but we blame all of you for the 3000 deaths and the scar is still raw.We aren't polite to muslims/arabs here.
-Muslim/arabs remind us of all the soldiers that have died over there. Whether we americans agree or disagree with the war on terrorism we are all fiercely supportive of the military and all americans are angry about our sons and daughters who have died there.
-you are male, may not be muslim for all I know, but like in France, there is some urgent debate on the lack of assimilation of muslims/arabs into American life (things like wearing burkas in public/in drivers license photos, women who will not talk to/shake hands with men, etc..)
-Los Angeles has a HUGE Iranian and Persian population. I would assume we in DC Metro do too. You might want to consider being closer to others in your culture to bridge your experience here

Again , I am sorry if this sounds cruel or bigoted or mean. Its just what I've seen. Good luck in your move here and God Bless.
leighland

Old 10-29-2009, 09:29 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
If you have a green card then you can get any job you want as long as someone wants to hire you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.