U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2009, 08:02 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,283,936 times
Reputation: 2785

Advertisements

Once again, the voice of reason speaks up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 3,992,025 times
Reputation: 1434
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Progressive? What does that mean?
That is a question I always find myself asking. Everyone brags about how progressive their area is, but can't a city or a state be progressive for entirely different reasons than another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,705,037 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Jluke? I hate to go against a fellow Texan, especially one I consider a friend and one with whom I have agreed with so much in the past (and vice-versa), but you are wrong on this one. And I realize that is a strong word to use...

Where do you come by that Texas wasn't founded as a Southern state?

Texas was Southern from the very first. One can argue it evolved into something different (its own self) over the decades, but to say it wasn't Southern from the start is just ridiculous. Please explain what you mean and how you come by this statement/conclusion.

Another thing, you seem to be alienating many fellow Southerners who -- like JohnAtl -- might otherwise "have (our) back." Same as many other Southern C-D's do and have in the past. Same as most Texans I know would be ready to jump in and defend our southeastern cousins if they were attacked by outsiders.

I don't mean to call you out, Jluke, cos, like I say, you and me have been on the same side lots of times, and I have a genuine respect for you. But in this case, you are making us Texans look like the most arrogant and condecending in the South. And we are NOT that way, fer gawds sakes.

Progressive? What does that mean? It is not necessarily a virtue...

Now, by gawd and high cotton, I am as much a Texan as you, Jluke, and I am proud of it. BUT... just because we have bigger cities and more diversity should not translate into us thinking ourselves "superior" to southeastern cousins. We all come from the same stock. And that is an undeniable fact.

Also, what is now defined (if such terms can be used) as "progressive" is not always a good thing. In fact, it often means we lose contact with our basic roots and values. If progressive means we are on a path to becoming a California or New York (or whatever) then I want no part of it. I prefer the old Texas...and its Southern values and roots...
Texas in the beginning was more linked to Mexico and the west more than the south. Texas is not southern and to say it is means people are ignoring the strong western influences that have been around since Day 1. Only on here have I ever heard of people try to relate Texas to the deep south, because this is news to me.

As arrogant and ignorant as it may sound; Texas is on a higher level than any other southern state. I've already mentioned when it comes to the people; there are lots of similarities. However, there's differences as well.

If you all see me as saying I am or Texans are more superior to you all than fine, but I still stand by what I've said. Nothing I've said is over exaggerated and far from the truth.

Diversity and large cities play a large part in progressiveness. The major cities in Texas have influence on smaller cities; I've witnessed this growing up in a small town and how smaller cities in Texas are trying to become more advanced and hip. Diversity gives people an opportunity to experience and explore new cultures; even outside of the small cities in Texas you have diverse areas. It helps open peoples minds to new things.

Texas is not southern. We have lots of southern influence ,but not enough to consider the overall state southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 09:27 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas in the beginning was more linked to Mexico and the west more than the south. Texas is not southern and to say it is means people are ignoring the strong western influences that have been around since Day 1. Only on here have I ever heard of people try to relate Texas to the deep south, because this is news to me.

As arrogant and ignorant as it may sound; Texas is on a higher level than any other southern state. I've already mentioned when it comes to the people; there are lots of similarities. However, there's differences as well.

If you all see me as saying I am or Texans are more superior to you all than fine, but I still stand by what I've said. Nothing I've said is over exaggerated and far from the truth.

Diversity and large cities play a large part in progressiveness. The major cities in Texas have influence on smaller cities; I've witnessed this growing up in a small town and how smaller cities in Texas are trying to become more advanced and hip. Diversity gives people an opportunity to experience and explore new cultures; even outside of the small cities in Texas you have diverse areas. It helps open peoples minds to new things.

Texas is not southern. We have lots of southern influence ,but not enough to consider the overall state southern.
Sorry Jluke, but get a grip, before you self-destruct. It is hard to follow your reasoning anymore (historical or otherwise, on this). It is starting to sound like a rant. It is becoming a waste of time to even talk to you. But I am going to try...

Jlike...start with THIS one. From the beginning, as you say? Just give me ONE quote/example where Texas was not considered part of the South in the days you/we speak of? Just one.

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-30-2009 at 09:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,705,037 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Sorry Jluke, but get a grip, before you self-destruct. It is hard to follow your reasoning anymore (historical or otherwise, on this). It is starting to sound like a rant. It is becoming a waste of time to even talk to you.
A rant about what?? I have nothing to rant about.

Sorry you and the few others couldn't understand my point. However, others have. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
A rant about what?? I have nothing to rant about.

Sorry you and the few others couldn't understand my point. However, others have. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Well, sorry in turn that you didn't explain your position well enough to not provoke anything but understandable antagonism...even among some fellow Texans. Don't blame us for that. But yes, we will just have to agree to disagree. And, 'least as far as I am concerned, nothing personal. Just a squabble amonst friends!

Time to hit the sack...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 PM
 
737 posts, read 1,041,180 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas in the beginning was more linked to Mexico and the west more than the south. Texas is not southern and to say it is means people are ignoring the strong western influences that have been around since Day 1. Only on here have I ever heard of people try to relate Texas to the deep south, because this is news to me.

As arrogant and ignorant as it may sound; Texas is on a higher level than any other southern state. I've already mentioned when it comes to the people; there are lots of similarities. However, there's differences as well.

If you all see me as saying I am or Texans are more superior to you all than fine, but I still stand by what I've said. Nothing I've said is over exaggerated and far from the truth.

Diversity and large cities play a large part in progressiveness. The major cities in Texas have influence on smaller cities; I've witnessed this growing up in a small town and how smaller cities in Texas are trying to become more advanced and hip. Diversity gives people an opportunity to experience and explore new cultures; even outside of the small cities in Texas you have diverse areas. It helps open peoples minds to new things.

Texas is not southern. We have lots of southern influence ,but not enough to consider the overall state southern.
I wouldn't say Texas is on a "higher" level but a "separate" level. Totally agree that Texas is not part of the deep south, like you I also haven't heard people talk about Texas being part of the deep south with the exception of the forums. Quite the contrary in conversations with people outside of City-Data, many people have said that Texas stands separated from many of the states in the south today and for the reasons you mentioned. That the diversity of the large cities is something which sets Texas apart from other southern states.

The impact of the latino community on the culture of Texas especially in cities like El Paso and San Antonio is just another example of why Texas isn't part of the deep south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,705,037 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
I wouldn't say Texas is on a "higher" level but a "separate" level. Totally agree that Texas is not part of the deep south, like you I also haven't heard people talk about Texas being part of the deep south with the exception of the forums. Quite the contrary in conversations with people outside of City-Data, many people have said that Texas stands separated from many of the states in the south today and for the reasons you mentioned. That the diversity of the large cities is something which sets Texas apart from other southern states.

The impact of the latino community on the culture of Texas especially in cities like El Paso and San Antonio is just another example of why Texas isn't part of the deep south.

When I mention higher level; I'm meaning importance and prominence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 09:58 PM
 
Location: NC
1,673 posts, read 1,531,527 times
Reputation: 523
And some people on this site wonder why no one takes them seriously...

I think this thread has set plenty of bad (and a few good) examples here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 10:00 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,283,936 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
I wouldn't say Texas is on a "higher" level but a "separate" level. Totally agree that Texas is not part of the deep south, like you I also haven't heard people talk about Texas being part of the deep south with the exception of the forums. Quite the contrary in conversations with people outside of City-Data, many people have said that Texas stands separated from many of the states in the south today and for the reasons you mentioned. That the diversity of the large cities is something which sets Texas apart from other southern states.

The impact of the latino community on the culture of Texas especially in cities like El Paso and San Antonio is just another example of why Texas isn't part of the deep south.
I don't hear people talk about the deep south period, except on this forum. Like I posted earlier, it's a reference to the group of southern states where plantation agriculture was prevalent. It obviously isn't prevalent anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top