U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,293,135 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone believe that there is one mentality covering entire regions or states? There simply isn't an overall mentality anywhere - people are individuals...they think and act with an individual mentality no matter where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,724,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I agree with you on the West TX people, you could pick a city up like Amarillo and place the people in a suburb of Atlanta or Birmingham or Nashville and they would blend in better than they would in Arizona or NM.

the people in Hoover,Al actually reminded me of the people in Amarillo.
Now take people out of El Paso and it's a clear difference.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:47 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,680,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Same with San Antonio, McAllen, and Austin. I lived in Abilene for two years and I have family in/from Alabama. Other than political views, there is quite a big difference the people in West Texas and Alabama. Really, West Texas people are friendly and will fit in with anyone who gives them a chance.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:57 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,724,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Same with San Antonio, McAllen, and Austin. I lived in Abilene for two years and I have family in/from Alabama. Other than political views, there is quite a big difference the people in West Texas and Alabama. Really, West Texas people are friendly and will fit in with anyone who gives them a chance.
Agreed. People in West Texas fit much more with people from NM or Arizona.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,242,085 times
Quote:
Wow so now your calling Texas a mistake???
HAHA, not in the slightest. Just trying to find a colourful way to say that Texas is like the South, Mexico, and the West combined.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,470,998 times
Quote:

I was excluding El Paso and McAllen is more like Mexico.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:27 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,470,998 times
Quote:
Agreed. People in West Texas fit much more with people from NM or Arizona.

Im talking more of the West TX panhandle, my bad I should have stated that, I agree that people in San Antonio,El Paso blend in better in AZ and NM but people in Amarillo and Lubbock seem to blend in better with the South.

I've hung around Amarillo and Lubbock my whole life, been there many many times and I live in ABQ now and I would say they are alot different, from religion,accents,apperance and friendliness.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,140,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Heres the best way to say it:

The South and Mexico had too much to drink after a night of partying. Then the South went back to Mexico's Hotel room.

9 months later Texas was born.
LOL Not bad!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,260,013 times
Texas is not more liberal or progressive than the rest of the deep south states. That is a fantasy.

Based on the people I've met, I would say that Texans are pretty similar to people in the Carolinas. Obviously the Carolinas don't have the Mexican influence, and Texas doesn't have the same colonial roots.

The cowboy stereotype has some truth to it. Cowboy hats are definitely not popular in the deep south. In Texas, it seemed like every other vehicle was an F-350 driven by a guy in a stetson hat. This comes through somewhat in peoples attitudes, too. The south Atlantic coast is more proper and reserved.

Last edited by le roi; 10-30-2009 at 07:26 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,242,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Texas is not more liberal or progressive than the rest of the deep south states. That is a fantasy.

Based on the people I've met, I would say that Texans are pretty similar to people in the Carolinas. Obviously the Carolinas don't have the Mexican influence, and Texas doesn't have the same colonial roots.

The cowboy stereotype has some truth to it. Cowboy hats are definitely not popular in the deep south. In Texas, it seemed like every other vehicle was an F-350 driven by a guy in a stetson hat. This comes through somewhat in peoples attitudes, too. The south Atlantic coast is more proper and reserved.
One thing that Ive noticed in Texas is that there is a HUGE contrast between smaller towns and cities and the major cities. In California, the way people think in LA isnt drastically different than the way people think in a city like Santa Barbara or Eureka. In Texas, the way people think in Dallas, Houston, and Austin, is drastically different from the way people think in a city like Abilene, Tyler, and the rural communities.

The stereotypes in the large cities in Texas dont really hold much water. I havent met many people in Dallas with accents or cowboy boots, or large trucks. However, drive 30 miles to the south or east, and you will see it in droves.

The biggest difference between Texas and the other Southern states is that Texas has a very, very, heavy Mexican influence (as well as a heavy central American influence in Houston and Dallas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.