Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
There are plenty of Texans that still do this, even where I am. You're right, I guess those closer to the city tend to dress different than your typical southern attire, but not always.
I've noticed people from Louisiana will comment on how snobbish Texans can come off sometimes and I can agree coming from one of the smaller Texas cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:06 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've noticed people from Louisiana will comment on how snobbish Texans can come off sometimes and I can agree coming from one of the smaller Texas cities.
Yeah Oklahomans say the same thing. I wouldn't live in either Oklahoma or Louisiana personally. I have family in both states so I know the places well enough to know they are not for me.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:09 PM

374 posts, read 812,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
There are plenty of Texans that still do this, even where I am. You're right, I guess those closer to the city tend to dress different than your typical southern attire, but not always.
Oh yeah, certainly. Sorry, I wasn't trying to make a generalization. But you are right, there are plenty of "traditional" Texans, I guess I could say. I was just saying that urban styles are probably more prevalent in Texas due to the more populated areas.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:18 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Hi,

What are the difference between the south mentality and Texas mentality ?

Are there any similtarities ?

Thoughts.Thanks
Texans look down on places like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana as being too liberal in general ,not executing enough people etc etc.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Texans look down on places like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana as being too liberal in general ,not executing enough people etc etc.
You don't know much about Alabama or Mississippi if you think they're more liberal than Texas. Louisiana maybe.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
You don't know much about Alabama or Mississippi if you think they're more liberal than Texas. Louisiana maybe.
Agreed. It's funny because while the rest of America looks at us as redneck and country. We look at states such as Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, and more as country and redneckish.

Than in Texas you have the major cities who look down on the smaller Texas cities. It's weird because when I tell people I'm from Waco in Houston; they either say "Eww" or "Oh you from Dallas??" lol

Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Agreed. It's funny because while the rest of America looks at us as redneck and country. We look at states such as Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, and more as country and redneckish.

Than in Texas you have the major cities who look down on the smaller Texas cities. It's weird because when I tell people I'm from Waco in Houston; they either say "Eww" or "Oh you from Dallas??" lol
Yeah that's true. Texans can be snobby toward other states or toward their own cities but I think California and New York are the same way. Over all, it seems like people who visit Texas usually considered Texans to be very nice and friendly even if we can be a little snobby about our state.

I can't believe people think Waco is a part of Dallas. lol! It seems like Texans get a lot of dumb comments like that. You would be surprised how many people friends have told me stories about how someone from out of state asked them if Texans still rode horses everywhere.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
I remember one time there was a thread and it asked what everyone thought about Oklahoma. Most of the posters(who were from Texas) said "They're redneck, conservative, bible-thumping racists," and stuff like that, you know? I was sitting there confused and thought Isn't that what everyone says about Texas? lol

Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
What, exactly, does this mean? Seriously . . . I'm not following . . .
Haven't you ever heard the saying?

"Texas, where men are men and sheep are nervous"

Old 10-28-2009, 03:25 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
While Texas was part of the Confederacy and was a slave state, its history was dramatically different from that of the other southern states, by virtue of obtaining its own independence in a revolutionary war against Mexico. It was the only state (except possibly Hawaii) that was an independent country for a significant length of time, and entered the United States by virtue of a multinational treaty (by which, among other things, it kept its unappropriated lands, unique in the United States, and a major source of wealth for UT, aTm, and the public schools by virtue of the oil discovered there). When I was growing up in Houston, the public schools would alternate semesters between teaching US history, world history, and Texas history, at least through junior high. The Alamo, San Jacinto, Goliad, Gonzales, and Washington on the Brazos were iconic places for us, and Austin, Bowie, Crockett, Travis, and Houston were iconic heroes. What's interesting to me is that, after moving to Missouri, my interest in and knowledge of local history quickly outpaced that of my friends and in-laws, which I thought was telling-- a lack of interest in their state's history, to me, hinted of a lack of pride in it. (And that's really a shame, because Missouri history is interesting in its own right.)

There's far less identification with the Confederacy in Texas than in other parts of the south. Also, Texas encompasses a number of diverse areas-- while east Texas could be characterized as quite southern in ways similar to Arkansas and northern Louisiana, most of the rest of the state is far more western, and there's a whole mindset associated with that.

I think Texans do have more pride in their Texan-ness than do most people from other states-- hence the appeal in the state of the "don't mess with Texas" anti-litter campaign that worked so much better than other such attempts.

I can't think of any place in the States that I didn't like (well, E. St. Louis and deeply rednecky parts of the ArkLaTex area were off-putting), but I'll never not be proud of being Texan-born and -bred. I'll never not get goosebumps when I walk into the Alamo. I'll never not feel something special when I see the Lone Star flag or hear The Eyes of Texas (well, I AM a Texas ex too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.