U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,004,615 times

Advertisements

I have always lived in towns between 600-800 people. I would like to live some place with 10,000 to 50,000 people.

My High School, the entire High School, had less than a hundred people. My graduating class was about twenty. Two classes above me were the "Dirty Dozen" so named because they were a graduating class of twelve. (Although on reflection it seems like it might have been fourteen and they called them like "the dozen plus two.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:44 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,040,806 times
I grew up in a 'burb of a small city about 70 miles north of NYC. Great place to grow up. Boating on the Hudson. Plenty of local arts and culture. NYC was a metro ride down the river. Plenty of wooded areas for hiking and exploring. Skiing in the winter.

No complaints here.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:42 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,863,400 times
I grew up in an in between area (Clearwater, FL) about 70,000 that was rapidly growing. In my grade school years the high school was on a split session schedule, with half the students attending morning classes the other half afternoon. By the time I got to high school a new school had been built, so no more split sessions.

It was great back then as there were still patches of rural areas and several orange groves but all that is gone now, replaced with subdivisions and condos. The beach back then was charming and beautiful with ample free parking and small crowds. That has been replaced by high-rise gulffront condos and it's way overcrowded and parking is a logistical nightmare these days, but it's all about progress, ya know.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:47 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,000,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I grew up in an in between area (Clearwater, FL) about 70,000 that was rapidly growing. In my grade school years the high school was on a split session schedule, with half the students attending morning classes the other half afternoon. By the time I got to high school a new school had been built, so no more split sessions.

It was great back then as there were still patches of rural areas and several orange groves but all that is gone now, replaced with subdivisions and condos. The beach back then was charming and beautiful with ample free parking and small crowds. That has been replaced by high-rise gulffront condos and it's way overcrowded and parking is a logistical nightmare these days, but it's all about progress, ya know.
It's terrible, isn't it?! That's exactly what happened in SE Florida. I grew up and still live in the area and all the "progress" has ruined the area. There were cow pastures, orange groves, and a lot of vacant land. Now, forget it, there is not a single inch of open space as EVERYTHING has been developed. The author Carl Hiiasen(sp?) writes extensively about how the developers run riot have ruined Broward and Dade Counties. I remember, I was around 8 when I told my mom that "one day grass would be in a museum", talk about "out of the mouth of babes." I lived in Palm Bch Co. for 8 yrs and saw the exact same thing beginning to happen there too with the condos, mini-mansions on no land, and the ubiquitous strip malls, half which sit vacant. It's so sad to see your hometown become an unrecognizable cement-city, very sad indeed. It's too late now and I'm just counting the days until I can leave this place for good.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:02 AM

32,404 posts, read 55,267,399 times
I grew up in a big city environment.

My high school had about 2,000 students.

Our graduating class was around 600 Id say.

Yes, I loved my hometown.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:11 AM

11,189 posts, read 22,415,451 times
Grew up in an urban area of around 65,000 people in the 1980's in Iowa. My high school was one of two public schools in the city, each with around 1,500 students. My class had 300 kids, and I LOVED growing up there.

It's growing quite a bit though, and changing. It's up to around 110,000 now.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:44 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,190,006 times
A suburban, unincorporated area outside of a major city. Full of other young families with children. Loved it... very fond memories growing up. Always plenty of other children to play with. We went into the major city on occasion for the museums, symphony, ballet etc.

Unfortunately, that area has gone downhill since... apparently lots of developers came in, bought up empty land and built huge apartment complexes and other low-cost housing. The once great school district is down the tubes now.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,599,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
How big was the city you grew up in, was it rural, big city, or in between? How many kids were there in your school, did you graduate with 3, 30, or 300? Did you like your hometown? I grew up in a large 100,000+ city, but I visited a roommates' hometown in Maine and there were about 150 ppl in the whole town, she went to a consoledated(sp?) school.
I grew up in Pittston, Pa...the school district had just over 40,000 people at that time; in between Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and a combined metropolitan area of 600,000.

Our high school had 2,000+ students and my class had 426 graduates. It was an unique time and city. I would not change it except I wish people were more tolerant of diversity!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 PM

77 posts, read 242,347 times
I grew up in a small rural town in northern Illinois. Towns population is 2000 and there was 50 kids in my grade. I hated living there and couldnt wait to leave.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:39 PM

628 posts, read 1,777,116 times
I grew up in a town of around 1600 people--my graduating class was 110. While I see benefits to having some of the same classmates for elementary, middle and high school there weren't many opportunities for cultural activities and the nearest mall/walmart/movie theater was more than a half hour away.

I now live in what I would call a small city and am happy--there's not many thing that are lacking--especially since there is a large university in town. I wouldn't mind trying city life--but real life prevents me from moving--.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or