U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM

6,995 posts, read 12,547,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
But as far as suggestions go, I don't know. I love Atlanta. It's more affordable and always has something going on.

Charm and soul are all very subjective. Every city has a soul but whether one likes said soul is subjective.

Chicago is way more affordable than DC. Which is surprising considering how big of a city it is. I hear good things about Minneapolis and they say they're pretty progressive up there.

Portland, Oregon is more affordable and very nice. Although the job market in Portland is another story from what I hear.
Portland is not all that cheap to live in. It is cheaper than the biggest cities, but it sits between San Fran and Seattle and is catching up in costs. Job market has never been good here. Even when the economy is strong in the USA, it is never really strong here. Really something to think about if one wants to live here. Especially the reasons it has been allowed to be that way all these years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,260,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
New Haven, Conn.
i second this. the only problem is that it has a population of 125,000 (metro <1 million). not sure if that's too small for you. its part of the NYC metro area. and
you're on a coast!

Last edited by john_starks; 11-19-2009 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 12:33 PM

5 posts, read 22,007 times
Columbus is what you're looking for. It's easily the largest and most liberal city in Ohio, and has one of- if not the- biggest LGBT communities in the Midwest. I heard something like an estimated 30,000 people identified as LGBT in a city of 800,000. It's kind of where all gay people go after growing up in a meh small Ohio town. The historical atmosphere and architecture is great, as well.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:18 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,528,208 times
I am going to be frank but hope not to come across as rude: bump down the "affordability" criterion a couple of notches and you will be thrilled with the options that you'll have. From reading your profile and previous posts of yours, you are an auditor and plan to soon get your MBA. You're not a blue-collar guy that needs Scranton/GrandRapids/Columbus-style affordability.

Boston is an absolutely gorgeous, character-packed, and charming city filled with plenty of young people, forward-thinking natives, and academics and professionals from all over the country. There are affluent areas and there are working-class areas, but all-around I have found people to be friendly, approachable, and believe it or not, down-to-earth, especially when compared to many people in "new money" suburban areas all over the country. Rents are no doubt high, as are purchase prices, but with all sincerity, that is the price you pay for living someone genuinely interesting and pleasant. With an auditor's salary and as a single person, I think you should be more open to spending more to live somewhere that will really enjoy and want to remain.

My other suggestions:

Providence. Only 45 minutes from Boston, a good mix of working-class old-timers, young professionals, academics from Brown, and artists/creative types from Rhode Island School of Design. Rents and purchase prices are higher than the national average, but lower than those of Boston.

Seattle. Beautiful natural setting and a progressive, community-oriented populace. Rents are slightly higher than the national average, but quite a bit cheaper than SF/NYC/LA/DC.

Chicago. It's a huge city with a little bit of something for everyone. Rents and purchase prices are very reasonable and there is a good mix of blue-collar old-timers, young professionals, and immigrants.

Queens. Yes, you heard me - Queens, specifically the Astoria, Sunnyside, and Woodside neighborhoods, where you'll find a good mix of long-time Italian/Greek/Irish families alongside young professionals and immigrants from Latin America, the Middle East, Asia, and Eastern Europe. Rents and purchases prices are certainly above the national average, but very reasonable in comparison to those of other large cities and much lower than those of Manhattan, which is only 10-20 minutes away on the subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.