U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:13 PM

20,853 posts, read 35,970,544 times

Advertisements

The Barrington suburbs are definitely way up there in terms of income. It must be wealthy because their are multiple little enclaves and villages within the same general area! I have also heard that homes tend to have more acerage which is rare in the high density Chicago metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 08:34 PM

677 posts, read 3,878,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The Barrington suburbs are definitely way up there in terms of income. It must be wealthy because their are multiple little enclaves and villages within the same general area! I have also heard that homes tend to have more acerage which is rare in the high density Chicago metro area.
That's true. It's really pretty out there. A lot of people use all that land for horses. We almost moved there instead of Western Springs but it's too far away from highways and shopping for us. It really does feel like you're out in the country instead of the Chicago 'burbs.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:21 PM

12 posts, read 60,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smu7070 View Post
Note

Great Falls, Virginia (MHI=$159,695) is the highest-income place within the highest-income county (Fairfax County, VA; MHI=$81,050) within the highest-income metro area (Washington—Baltimore, DC—MD—VA—WV CMSA; MHI=$70,206).
Woo, Score for us.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:05 PM

5,641 posts, read 17,318,435 times
St. Charles city; DuPage County; ...

St. Charles is in Kane county, IL.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:46 PM

61 posts, read 529,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
St. Charles city; DuPage County; ...

St. Charles is in Kane county, IL.
Remember that I am using a County -> Place hierarchy. St. Charles city in its entirety is considered by the census to be a State-Place, which can cross county boundaries. The geographies I used in that output, however, are places within counties (technically State-Place-Counties) which do not cross county boundaries. Also note that the population of the geography is 169. Thus the data is not for the entire geography named "St. Charles city", but in this case for the portion of St. Charles city within DuPage County (which contains approx. 1/150th of the entire population of St. Charles city).

Old 05-12-2007, 05:27 AM

859 posts, read 3,065,986 times
[quote=kirstenleigh;694252]That is really interesting, thank you for sharing! I never would have guessed that New Jersey has the highest median income.
QUOTE]

I am shocked too and I live here!

I knew there were at least 5 counties that ranked among the U.S. top counties wise, but I figured as a whole state, we would be behind CA and NY for sure.

It's good and it's bad to win that title I think. Good in the sense that there are obviously jobs and people working them and making a nice living for themself and enough of those people to rank us that high. But negative in the sense that there are still thousands of people on the lower end of that median that have to try and survive in a place where a majority make such a high salary.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:18 AM

1,341 posts, read 5,642,907 times
I remember crunching some numbers back in 2000 and was surprised to discover that Connecticut was by far the richest state overall by GSP, per capita, in the entire nation. I stumbled over this when I was curious about the Bush/Gore election results. As an aside, even though Bush won a larger # of states (something like 31 to 19 or so), the gross state product of the 19 "blue" states actually exceeded the gross state product of the 31 "red" states.

If you split an MSA by county then median household incomes become less informative. Often a county within an MSA that adjoins a metro area with very challenging economic realities for average folks will serve as a catalyst for wealthy folks who "flee" those conditions. Yet virtually all of the wealthy folks still work in the metro center and function within a larger community and the economic challenges of the metro center do in fact affect those wealthy outlying counties. It's the median household income for that larger community that is most important.

Just a thought that struck me as I scanned this thread. Cool data by the way!

Sean

Last edited by seanpecor; 05-18-2007 at 06:32 AM..

Old 05-18-2007, 06:51 AM

108 posts, read 463,493 times
I can't understand how a family can make $70,000 combined and own housing anywhere in the northeast, or the chicago area for that matter. Can somebody explain how this happens???

Old 05-18-2007, 09:17 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
I also wonder what dsv1496 is asking, prices here are outrageous. You cant touch anything for under 200, and thats for a dump in the ghetto. You want something remotely nice, you have to move to the faaaaaaaar western burbs, and even those are expensive. LOL

Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 PM

677 posts, read 3,878,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsv1496 View Post
I can't understand how a family can make $70,000 combined and own housing anywhere in the northeast, or the chicago area for that matter. Can somebody explain how this happens???
Two possible explanations I see are that people are living beyond their means, and that the people who aren't bought their homes in the '90s before prices (in Chicagoland, at least) skyrocketed. I know that in my small town alone, housing prices are 2-3 times as much as they were in 2000. We were fortunate that my parents helped us buy our house, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford to live here, and my husband and I make a lot more than $70,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or