U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:05 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,677,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Poor New Orleans. She gets no love. My main reasons for even considering New Orleans were that I have a friend whose sister lives there and would be able to assist with general issues of acclimation. My friend resides in Austin (she teaches at ACC and her husband is a professor at UT, but her heart is still very much in New Orleans) and she is always, always trying to convince me that the city is in dire need of a youthful (though I'm certainly no spring chicken at 32) infusion lest all of the prognostications of certain demise come to pass. I've never been to New Orleans so I can't speak to its health or sickliness post or pre-Katrina. I know that a lot of people do still love it and are sad to see it in its current state and the idea that I might be able to actually live somewhere where I might potentially contribute to a community's rebirth was marginally appealing. I don't know. My friend has offered to take me to Jazz Fest with her next May, so that will be my first glimpse of her, but I know that cities during such events are not quite what they are during normal day to day living.

As for Seattle . . . haven't been, but I have a friend who lives out there and would be willing to house me during a scouting trip. And Portland, I've been to visit, loved the look and feel of the place, the Max was AMAZING to use, but . . . and this is going to sound horrible, but it's not meant to . . . it's very, very WHITE. There's not much ethnic/racial diversity to the naked eye, but I know it's there! Esperanza Spaulding is from there! On top of that Portland has one of the worst unemployment rates in the country right now. I'm not even sure I can swing a monkey-gig like the one I have here in Austin.

And San Francisco . . . ooooooooh The City. When I lived in Oakland I spent a lot of time playing around with her steep curves. I loved Muddy Waters in the Mission, Big Mouth Burger, the Chinatown library, all of the cool bars and food in the Outer Richmond, and just sitting on Ocean Beach and listening to the distant drone of ships' (often obscured by the fog) horns. I've thought about making my way back to her realm . . . but if I go back to the Bay Area, I'm going to Oakland. What can I say? I hella <3 her.
New Orleans is a great town and I would love to live their if the state and city government cleaned their act. In spite of being Republican, Texas is actually a very well ran state, and Austin has a lot of stability on so many different levels compared to New Orleans. I'm not saying Austin is better than New Orleans, but New Orleans doesn't seem in very good shape right now where as Austin.... of course, I would talk to people from Louisiana an New Orleans instead of just taking my word for it.

I can sympathize with you wanting to leave Texas. I love the state, but I don't want to live my who life in the same place. I'm not as well traveled as you seems to be. I've been all over the South, Colorado, DC, Maryland, and New Mexico. That's about it for me. Of those places, I would HIGHLY recommend Colorado and DC. From what you've said, I think you would really enjoy Boulder and Denver.

When I do get finally get out of here, I have my fingers crossed for San Francisco. Chicago and NYC would be my second choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 12:22 PM

634 posts, read 1,267,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Oh the old New Orleans punching bag again, eh?
Oh no! I'm not in line! Promise. I've every intention of visiting NOLA! She just seems like an easy target. But I'm sure she's got her problems . . . it's just a question of finding a way to address them. One of my dearest friends loves the heck out of New Orleans . . . I trust her judgment!

Old 10-31-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
New Orleans is a great town and I would love to live their if the state and city government cleaned their act. In spite of being Republican, Texas is actually a very well ran state, and Austin has a lot of stability on so many different levels compared to New Orleans. I'm not saying Austin is better than New Orleans, but New Orleans doesn't seem in very good shape right now where as Austin.... of course, I would talk to people from Louisiana an New Orleans instead of just taking my word for it.

I can sympathize with you wanting to leave Texas. I love the state, but I don't want to live my who life in the same place. I'm not as well traveled as you seems to be. I've been all over the South, Colorado, DC, Maryland, and New Mexico. That's about it for me. Of those places, I would HIGHLY recommend Colorado and DC. From what you've said, I think you would really enjoy Boulder and Denver.

When I do get finally get out of here, I have my fingers crossed for San Francisco. Chicago and NYC would be my second choices.
I'm envious that you've been to DC . . . and I'll probably take a trip to Baltimore one day, just because I'd like to see the city. New Mexico has always looked lovely when I've seen photos or television programs. I think I had an aunt that used to live in Albuquerque, but moved to San Antonio to be near her daughters. I recall visiting her as a child and I believe seeing a snow capped mountain in the distance. Sound like Albuquerque? Regardless, twas quite lovely.

Have you been to San Francisco? It's a great city! I've yet to make it to NYC or Chicago. I have a friend who lives in Brooklyn, NY and she loves it. Of course, it's home base for her, she's actually a flight attendant so she's hardly home and basically jetsetting. I'm super jealous. Chicago is really moving up on my list of possible places. My father was born there, but he left when he was 13, and my friend (the one who's from New Orleans) always tells me that it's a great town as she's been many times to accompany her husband on academic trips.

You've been very kind and civil. I appreciate that. I really hope you are able to make your move one day.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:15 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,677,270 times
Quote:
I'm envious that you've been to DC . . . and I'll probably take a trip to Baltimore one day, just because I'd like to see the city. New Mexico has always looked lovely when I've seen photos or television programs. I think I had an aunt that used to live in Albuquerque, but moved to San Antonio to be near her daughters. I recall visiting her as a child and I believe seeing a snow capped mountain in the distance. Sound like Albuquerque? Regardless, twas quite lovely.

Have you been to San Francisco? It's a great city! I've yet to make it to NYC or Chicago. I have a friend who lives in Brooklyn, NY and she loves it. Of course, it's home base for her, she's actually a flight attendant so she's hardly home and basically jetsetting. I'm super jealous. Chicago is really moving up on my list of possible places. My father was born there, but he left when he was 13, and my friend (the one who's from New Orleans) always tells me that it's a great town as she's been many times to accompany her husband on academic trips.

You've been very kind and civil. I appreciate that. I really hope you are able to make your move one day.
It's just a blog site. I don't see the point in being rude or getting offended because someone doesn't like one of my favorite towns. Many Texans (not just on CD) are like that though. I think Texas will always be my favorite state (it will always feel like home), but I don't expect everyone to feel the same way.

I went to DC once a long time ago. It's a really interesting town. One of the strange things about the cities is that there are no skyscrapers in the city limits. The only skyscrapers in the metro are in Alexandria, VA, on the other side of the Potomac. I think the city has height restriction on buildings probably for security (you can see the Capital from almost anywhere downtown) and aesthetics.

But of all the places I've been, I think Austin is still my favorite city (I am really into live music and the whole indie scene). My second favorite place though is Colorado. I love that state!

No I haven't even been able to make it out to California yet! I will be graduating with a masters in architecture soon, and then I will be off to grad school (hopefully Berkeley or somewhere in the Bay Area). So I really would like to go to San Francisco, Chicago, or NYC for or after grad school (except for UT, Austin is not a very good place to good place to go for architecture). I could say the same about Chicago. The more I learn about the city, more I want to go.

As far as New Orleans, it is a great place to visit for sure. Most of what I know about the city comes form Louisianians who have moved to the Houston area (which there are a lot of Louisianians here). I know the city is growing the corruption in the state is getting better, but I'm still skeptical. Louisiana has long history of corruption (dating back to when my grandfather was kid) and the cities there have suffered a great deal because of it. That's why you can find so many people and businesses who have left Louisiana for Houston. Of course, they did bring Houston jazz and Cajun food!! So that's were me and other Houstonians are coming from. Again, I would talk to the people there and see how the city has changed sense Katrina.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It's just a blog site. I don't see the point in being rude or getting offended because someone doesn't like one of my favorite towns. Many Texans (not just on CD) are like that though. I think Texas will always be my favorite state (it will always feel like home), but I don't expect everyone to feel the same way.

Exactly! But man oh man do people get all riled up over things on web sites! Or they're often just bizarrely emotional and illogical. I read The Statesman online and often the comments there make my jaw drop! And as I've said oftentimes, I can see why many people would be happy to avail themselves of all that Texas (specifically Austin) have to offer. But oftentimes there seems to be this reflexive defensiveness and insistent pressure to quell any and all criticism or commentary at the expense of a genuine, robust exchange. No place is paved with streets of gold and part of mature experience is the ability to receive criticism. Austin used to feel more like home, but I've just outgrown it. I don't feel that it's possible for me to move forward in any significant way if I stay here. I feel trapped. Again, not that it's not a great place for others, but it hasn't really afforded me the types of opportunities I feel I'll need to keep myself feeling alive, relevant, and well, just content. I'm not into live music (though I love music in general and am now on 17,000 songs for my iPod!), plus I can't afford to see shows and haven't the energy to expend for things like ACL or SxSw. I'm too old for any indie scenes (I'm turning into some kind of culture-monger in that I'm more about ballet performances and grand art exhibitions). These days I'm more interested in dinners with friends, good wine, and maybe a decent film afterward.

I went to DC once a long time ago. It's a really interesting town. One of the strange things about the cities is that there are no skyscrapers in the city limits. The only skyscrapers in the metro are in Alexandria, VA, on the other side of the Potomac. I think the city has height restriction on buildings probably for security (you can see the Capital from almost anywhere downtown) and aesthetics.

What's the topography like in DC?

But of all the places I've been, I think Austin is still my favorite city (I am really into live music and the whole indie scene). My second favorite place though is Colorado. I love that state!

I know someone who's making the move up there! I think he's a bit trepidatious about the weather change, which is ironic considering that he is actually from Minnesota but has lived in Austin for the past 15 years.

No I haven't even been able to make it out to California yet! I will be graduating with a masters in architecture soon, and then I will be off to grad school (hopefully Berkeley or somewhere in the Bay Area). So I really would like to go to San Francisco, Chicago, or NYC for or after grad school (except for UT, Austin is not a very good place to good place to go for architecture). I could say the same about Chicago. The more I learn about the city, more I want to go.

I'm very seriously considering an Urban Planning master's and Berkeley's programs is one that's got my eye . . . but not being a resident would hurt me and there's the fact that it's one of the best schools in the nation, if not the world, so competition for admission is fierce. But, I guess I won't know if I don't try. And if would get me back to the Bay, I'm ok with that. So are you looking to get a doctorate? And yes to Chicago! Perhaps we'll each find it to be an endearing place.

As far as New Orleans, it is a great place to visit for sure. Most of what I know about the city comes form Louisianians who have moved to the Houston area (which there are a lot of Louisianians here). I know the city is growing the corruption in the state is getting better, but I'm still skeptical. Louisiana has long history of corruption (dating back to when my grandfather was kid) and the cities there have suffered a great deal because of it. That's why you can find so many people and businesses who have left Louisiana for Houston. Of course, they did bring Houston jazz and Cajun food!! So that's were me and other Houstonians are coming from. Again, I would talk to the people there and see how the city has changed sense Katrina.

I definitely intend to visit.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:45 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,691,014 times
Quote:
Oh no! I'm not in line! Promise. I've every intention of visiting NOLA! She just seems like an easy target. But I'm sure she's got her problems . . . it's just a question of finding a way to address them. One of my dearest friends loves the heck out of New Orleans . . . I trust her judgment!
No, relax! I heard a Texas Boast coming on from Jluke and whereas I may agree with him on some of it, NO has things you woulndt find in Hou, Dal etc. Good things too. And likewise Hou, Dal and SA have good things too you wouldn't find in NO.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
No, relax! I heard a Texas Boast coming on from Jluke and whereas I may agree with him on some of it, NO has things you woulndt find in Hou, Dal etc. Good things too. And likewise Hou, Dal and SA have good things too you wouldn't find in NO.

Precisely! That, if anything, is what I love about traveling and moving about . . . every place has got something to offer you. Some of it's the same thing you'd find in other places, and some of it has a rich texture and flavor all its own.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:35 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,377,644 times
I do not mean this to sound negative, but it probably will.

You sound stubborn and very set in your ways. You want what you want and you blame everybody else for not creating an environment that suits you.

You have two choices. You can continue to be difficult and unhappy because *no* place is going to be 100 percent what you want it to be. Or you can make up your mind to enjoy yourself regardless.

If you are determined to live in a "big city" so that you have all the things you want, just buy a car, for cripe's sake. Public transportation is filthy, and filled with germs, weirdos and potential psychos. I wouldn't expose myself to that for ANY lofty concept. Sorry.

ETA: I really do not mean for this to come across so harsh and though I am berating you. I apologize. My writing style sometimes lacks tact. Not meant to be accusatory or harsh. *sigh*

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-31-2009, 04:31 PM

56,675 posts, read 80,995,527 times
NYC, enough said........

Old 10-31-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do not mean this to sound negative, but it probably will.

You sound stubborn and very set in your ways. You want what you want and you blame everybody else for not creating an environment that suits you.

Yeah you're right . . . you don't know the first thing about me. You've read posts on an internet forum. I was just referring to the fact that people come on these boards and feel compelled to make personal assessments and attacks on the basis of what they read here. Again you DON'T KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT ME when it comes to who I am personally, intellectually, aspirationally, professionally, etc. And one can always learn to inject their communication with "tact" . . . even their writing style.

You have two choices. You can continue to be difficult and unhappy because *no* place is going to be 100 percent what you want it to be. Or you can make up your mind to enjoy yourself regardless.

Actually no, you're very wrong (again) . . . I have many choices, one of which is to continue with my current plan, save money, relocate to a place more in keeping with my desires, and then pursue a life which I find desireable, or remain somewhere which I PERSONALLY am not well-suited for and risk encountering people with your type of advice and arrogance (i.e. the grin and bear it philosophy). I can't recall that I ever asked fellow posters: "Hey can you recommend a Utopia which will permit me to live halcyon days until my end?" No, I asked posters to recommend, upon the basis of their OWN experiences, where an honest, HARD WORKING, intelligent, and restless soul might be able to find some peace of mind, as she has long outgrown her current locale.

If you are determined to live in a "big city" so that you have all the things you want, just buy a car, for cripe's sake. Public transportation is filthy, and filled with germs, weirdos and potential psychos. I wouldn't expose myself to that for ANY lofty concept. Sorry.

Are you going to buy me a car on a salary of $170 a week? If you're willing to help me, I'll consider it . . . but if you've read my posts you'll understand that I don't have any desire to be car-dependent. It's a personal choice. Blaming everyone else? Umm, perhaps you've also missed the parts of my posts where I've written, very specifically, the area I live provides many things for many people, but its not what I WANT, thus my desire to relocate. I've ridden public transportation my entire life. I'm college-educated, intelligent, open-minded, and not out to generalize about people . . . which you appear willing to do. I don't understand how "just buying a car" addresses my myriad concerns. Just because YOU wouldn't expose YOURSELF to what you deem a standard below you, doesn't mean I have a problem with it. I rather enjoy my experiences on public transportation worth its salt (i.e. comprehensive transit with Rapid buses, trains, commuter rail, etc). I have time to read, do my crossword puzzles, journal, or . . . daydream.

ETA: I really do not mean for this to come across so harsh and though I am berating you. I apologize. My writing style sometimes lacks tact. Not meant to be accusatory or harsh. *sigh*

Unfortunately this last little disclaimer of yours does nothing to reduce the fact that you've offered me no real insight for what I feel is a genuinely posed question that concerns MY LIFE . . . and not your personal feelings about what one should and shouldn't do with their life . . . again, especially because you haven't even the faintest degree of SUBSTANTIVE knowledge into my experiences or expectations.

I respect your right to post your opinion (that's what this forum is all about), but you are way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off. If it makes you feel any better I wasn't considering moving to Missouri, so I'm not quite sure how you felt inclined to be blatantly judgmental and I daresy inconsequentially rude.

I bid you good day.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or