U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:35 PM

634 posts, read 1,266,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
NYC, enough said........
Thanks for the (civil) response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 05:04 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,675,646 times
Well, as far as the topography of DC, it's been a while sense I have been there, but from what I remember, it's some where in between Austin and Houston. Not as flat as Houston, but not nearly as many hills as Austin. Speaking of Houston, how much time have you spent in the city? I'm not saying you should move here, but from what you have told me, it does seem like you would enjoy a weekend in Houston more than Austin. Ballet and art exhibits are much better in Houston than Austin, although Austin is no slouch. I went to the Menil Museum the other day and I was very very impressive. They must have one of the largest collections of Rene Margritte in the country. Several of her very famous paintings where displayed. They had every thing from Warhol and Picasso to ancient Greek and Roman art to Byzantine and Roman Catholic. This is just ONE of the many fantastic art museums here. I haven't even made it out to the Rothko Chapel or the Houston Museum of Modern Art yet. I'm not much for the ballet, but this is one of the best cities in the country for ballet. I know our symphony is like #4 in the nation as our opera is like #3. Those numbers are subjective, but I think you get my point. At any rate, I would highly recommend taking a weekend trip to Houston and check out the art museums here if you haven't already while you still have the chance.

I have looked into a Masters in Urban Planning as well. If you can't get into Berkeley, University of Washington in Seattle has a VERY good Masters in Urban Planning.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Well, as far as the topography of DC, it's been a while sense I have been there, but from what I remember, it's some where in between Austin and Houston. Not as flat as Houston, but not nearly as many hills as Austin. Speaking of Houston, how much time have you spent in the city? I'm not saying you should move here, but from what you have told me, it does seem like you would enjoy a weekend in Houston more than Austin. Ballet and art exhibits are much better in Houston than Austin, although Austin is no slouch. I went to the Menil Museum the other day and I was very very impressive. They must have one of the largest collections of Rene Margritte in the country. Several of her very famous paintings where displayed. They had every thing from Warhol and Picasso to ancient Greek and Roman art to Byzantine and Roman Catholic. This is just ONE of the many fantastic art museums here. I haven't even made it out to the Rothko Chapel or the Houston Museum of Modern Art yet. I'm not much for the ballet, but this is one of the best cities in the country for ballet. I know our symphony is like #4 in the nation as our opera is like #3. Those numbers are subjective, but I think you get my point. At any rate, I would highly recommend taking a weekend trip to Houston and check out the art museums here if you haven't already while you still have the chance.

I have looked into a Masters in Urban Planning as well. If you can't get into Berkeley, University of Washington in Seattle has a VERY good Masters in Urban Planning.
It's funny that you should mention a weekend away in Houston. I've been considering it. I was thinking I might take a greyhound and book myself a cheap-ish room. I've no desire to move to Houston, not because I can't recognize that it has its charms and is indeed more "real" city than people will give it credit for being (there seems to be some type of pastime dedicated to Houston bashing . . . mostly at the hands of people from Austin . . . I used to be one of those people, but I was in my early 20s and thought 6th street and the likes were as 'hip' as things come . . . I'm older now). I'm dying to check out Houston's museums, maybe hit up the theatre district, do some research on the restaurants (I was introduced to Pho in Houston. Best thing ever!), and yes, see Houston Ballet. Houston Ballet is one of the country's premier companies and a lot of people don't even know it. I came to my appreciation for dance through a friend I made in Oakland (she's a prima for Oakland Ballet), and it's been one of the most pleasant discoveries of my life! And I have only heard fantastic things about Houston's symphony and opera, so that's also intriguing to me. One of my coworkers talked about the Rothko chapel and said it's wonderful. It's not in Houston, but I'm also very eager to try and see the Kimball Art Museum in Fort Worth. I saw an extraordinary documentary about the architect who designed the museum (Louis Kahn) and for the first time in my life really understood why architecture is more art than pliable trade. I wasn't very well versed in the conceptual, artistic veins tied to architecture. I just thought it was a bunch of folks with blueprints out to build stuff! I can't recall the name of the documentary off the top of my head but I highly recommend it. Is the Menil in the arts district near Rice?

If I ever make my way to DC I'm going to have to see so much! The Smithsonian, Library of Congress, National Gallery, the Capitol, the White House . . . man!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:22 PM

By the way, I just had a quick glance at your profile . . . I was born in Abilene! Crazy, huh?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
It's funny that you should mention a weekend away in Houston. I've been considering it. I was thinking I might take a greyhound and book myself a cheap-ish room. I've no desire to move to Houston, not because I can't recognize that it has its charms and is indeed more "real" city than people will give it credit for being (there seems to be some type of pastime dedicated to Houston bashing . . . mostly at the hands of people from Austin . . . I used to be one of those people, but I was in my early 20s and thought 6th street and the likes were as 'hip' as things come . . . I'm older now). I'm dying to check out Houston's museums, maybe hit up the theatre district, do some research on the restaurants (I was introduced to Pho in Houston. Best thing ever!), and yes, see Houston Ballet. Houston Ballet is one of the country's premier companies and a lot of people don't even know it. I came to my appreciation for dance through a friend I made in Oakland (she's a prima for Oakland Ballet), and it's been one of the most pleasant discoveries of my life! And I have only heard fantastic things about Houston's symphony and opera, so that's also intriguing to me. One of my coworkers talked about the Rothko chapel and said it's wonderful. It's not in Houston, but I'm also very eager to try and see the Kimball Art Museum in Fort Worth. I saw an extraordinary documentary about the architect who designed the museum (Louis Kahn) and for the first time in my life really understood why architecture is more art than pliable trade. I wasn't very well versed in the conceptual, artistic veins tied to architecture. I just thought it was a bunch of folks with blueprints out to build stuff! I can't recall the name of the documentary off the top of my head but I highly recommend it. Is the Menil in the arts district near Rice?

If I ever make my way to DC I'm going to have to see so much! The Smithsonian, Library of Congress, National Gallery, the Capitol, the White House . . . man!
Oh yeah I went to school in at ACU for two years. I was born in Dallas.

As for as for music (except for hip-hop) and film, Austin is by far better than Houston, but in every other art, Houston blows Austin out of the water. I don't think a lot of people in Texas (and Austin in particular) realize this. The state and the cities here seem to be very bad about publicizing the cool attractions here (with the exception of Austin). Houston is probably the worst of all. They need a good publicist. The bashing is a little ridiculous. On CD and in real life, it normally comes form people who are jumping to conclusions and no nothing about the city.

The Museum District is kind of in the middle of almost every "cool" in Houston. It's down by Rice, Westminster, Herman Park, TMC (beautiful part of Houston with great architecture but not much a tourist place), and not far from Uptown and Montrose. The light rail runs right through the Downtown, Museum district, the Theater District, Herman Park, and Relient Stadium. So if you can, I would try and stay some where around the light rail.

I have a book on Louis Kahn. He was one of the most famous architects of the modern area who designed buildings all over the world and the Kimbell Art Museum is one his most famous pieces of architecture. The Fort Worth Museum of Art was also designed by a world famous architect (Tao Ando). Of recently completed buildings, I really want to see the Wyly Theater in Dallas (designed by the Office of Metropolitan Architects). For theater and architecture, that is suppose to be one of the best theaters in the country. I could go on for a long time about the architecture in Texas. Houston is probably the best place for architecture in Texas though.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah I went to school in at ACU for two years. I was born in Dallas.

As for as for music (except for hip-hop) and film, Austin is by far better than Houston, but in every other art, Houston blows Austin out of the water. I don't think a lot of people in Texas (and Austin in particular) realize this. The state and the cities here seem to be very bad about publicizing the cool attractions here (with the exception of Austin). Houston is probably the worst of all. They need a good publicist. The bashing is a little ridiculous. On CD and in real life, it normally comes form people who are jumping to conclusions and no nothing about the city.

The Museum District is kind of in the middle of almost every "cool" in Houston. It's down by Rice, Westminster, Herman Park, TMC (beautiful part of Houston with great architecture but not much a tourist place), and not far from Uptown and Montrose. The light rail runs right through the Downtown, Museum district, the Theater District, Herman Park, and Relient Stadium. So if you can, I would try and stay some where around the light rail.

I have a book on Louis Kahn. He was one of the most famous architects of the modern area who designed buildings all over the world and the Kimbell Art Museum is one his most famous pieces of architecture. The Fort Worth Museum of Art was also designed by a world famous architect (Tao Ando). Of recently completed buildings, I really want to see the Wyly Theater in Dallas (designed by the Office of Metropolitan Architects). For theater and architecture, that is suppose to be one of the best theaters in the country. I could go on for a long time about the architecture in Texas. Houston is probably the best place for architecture in Texas though.
It's strange because I thought there were inroads being made. I recall seeing some of the myhouston.com commercials and thought, "Wow! That's cool that Houston is trying to get itself OUT there," for lack of more eloquent phrasing." And thanks for the tip, I'll definitely have to remember to book along the light rail line as I will not be traveling with an automobile.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
It's strange because I thought there were inroads being made. I recall seeing some of the myhouston.com commercials and thought, "Wow! That's cool that Houston is trying to get itself OUT there," for lack of more eloquent phrasing." And thanks for the tip, I'll definitely have to remember to book along the light rail line as I will not be traveling with an automobile.
Well the city has FINALLY started to try and create a tourist industry. It's attract and investing in several different projects that should give it a HUGE bust in tourism but that's a topic for another thread.

The 610 Loop is a really cool but really weird place. The neighborhoods are VERY economically mixed. You can have the most beautiful, attractive, and wealthy neighborhoods right next to the ghetto. So I still would recommend trying to book a hotel along the LT, but be sure your not staying in a roach motel in the middle of the Third Ward.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Well the city has FINALLY started to try and create a tourist industry. It's attract and investing in several different projects that should give it a HUGE bust in tourism but that's a topic for another thread.

The 610 Loop is a really cool but really weird place. The neighborhoods are VERY economically mixed. You can have the most beautiful, attractive, and wealthy neighborhoods right next to the ghetto. So I still would recommend trying to book a hotel along the LT, but be sure your not staying in a roach motel in the middle of the Third Ward.

When I started my treks through Mexico the "roach motels" were some of my faves! I hear you though. Cities are mixed bag. You take the good with the bad . . . like . . . THE FACTS OF LIFE! Sorry, bad 80s tv reference. I'm sure you're too young for that!

When I lived in Houston I lived south of Meyerland and Bellaire and I'm told that's probably a considerably dicey neighborhood, but it suited me for my purposes. The bus ride to UH (this was when I thought I wanted to be a laywer) was about an hour, and somewhat varied in terms of scenery. Funny that I'm remembering that now . . .

Old 11-01-2009, 05:17 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Thanks for the (civil) response.
No problem. After reading your original post again, you might actually like the Syracuse area. We have 4 seasons, great college sports scene, some nice walkable neighborhoods, we have legitimate Black, White, Hispanic, Native American and Asian communities with diversity within each, people are generally down to earth, it's affordable, has a good bus system(CENTRO) and much more. you might like this neighborhood by the Syracuse University campus: Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Westcott Street Cultural Fair
Westcott

It has 2 city parks nearby, a cute business district with another not too far from there either, is a diverse neighborhood, close to two hospitals and much more.

Here's some more info. : Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau
Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
City of Syracuse
Downtown Syracuse
Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY
Welcome to The Westcott
The Great New York State Fair :: August 27 to September 7 :: Syracuse, NY
Syracuse University Athletics
Le Moyne Athletics : Dolphins (will be Division 1 in a couple of years in all sports)
WNSS-AM
SportsRadio 620 WHEN
CNY CENTRO/SYRACUSE Schedules,CNY CENTRO - Syracuse,Onondaga Schedules,CNY CENTRO Syracuse,Onondaga Fares,Accessible Transportation,Special Events,Campus Corner,Syracuse University,Le Moyne College,Onondaga Community College,Fare Deal Program
Central New York Jobs
Onondaga County, New York
Syracuse Arts Net Home
Soul of Syracuse.Com - Homepage
Syracuse New Times - The Central New York Alternative, Local Bands & Events Calendar - LATEST ARTICLES
http://www.mapskrieg.com/view/syracu...using-for-rent
http://syracuse.apartmentfinder.com/...&CSearchType=1
http://www.cnyrealtor.com/ (look in Onondaga County)
http://www.onlib.org/

and much more.......

Old 11-01-2009, 07:40 PM

208 posts, read 364,609 times
Hi Nomadic9460678748,

I empathize with you as I find myself with a similar dilemna/interests.

As I've read through this thread, one of the first places which occurred to me is Baltimore. You mentioned having visited and enjoyed it. I'm wondering why you are not giving it some consideration for relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or