U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 PM

4,445 posts, read 8,621,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Spring & Fall make winter worth it.

Oh and there was a website posted before comparing cities climates.

New York City IS NOT better in terms of weather than say Columbus, OH or Cincinnati. It's actually pretty darn close to the same as Cleveland. I don't know why people think NYC has so much better weather then cities in the midwest, when it really doesn't.
Just for science continuity (what city someone like or dislikes… is a matter of opinion of course) the above is untrue:

If you look at official National Weather Service monthly mean temperatures for the 3 winter months (Dec/Jan/Feb)…NYC is warmer than Columbus or Cincinnati and of course Cleveland. In terms of seasonal snowfall…only Cincinnati gets as little snow as NYC…Columbus gets more, and Cleveland gets almost “three times” as much snow as NYC in winter. NYC is of course sunnier in winter than any of the Midwest cities. Here are the monthly mean temps of Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and NYC and their respective NWS to verify (GO to NowData/Ave temp/1970-2000).

NYC National Weather Service Climate
Dec – 37.6 F
Jan – 32.4
Feb – 34.9
Seasonal Snowfall - 22.5 inches

Columbus, OH National Weather Service Climate
Dec – 33.6 F
Jan –27.7
Feb – 31.4
Seasonal Snowfall - 27.2 inches

Cincinnati, OH National Weather Service Climate
Dec – 33.9 F
Jan –29.0
Feb – 33.4

Cleveland, OH National Weather Service Climate
Dec – 31.7 F
Jan –26.2
Feb – 28.9
Seasonal Snowfall - 62.4 inches

Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,934,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Half that time I didn't know how to drive. I WALKED my daughter to school a mile and a half away. Yep, in COLD AND SNOW.

This is supposed to be a thread about NY winter weather. I suppose talking abolut walking a mile and a half in a blizzard in Queens would be pointless too? Unless, of course, I was saying how MISERABLE it was, right? That IS the point? NY weather is awful. THEN you would think it relevant. I don't agree.

No, the point of my previous post was that your experience would be unlike the majority of the people in NYC and thus not very helpful at all. While these other conditions may be more like a usual commute it still is not from the correct perspective for the thread, see below..

Forget it. I spent 58 years in NY; 28 in Manhattan(apartments with parents and without), 10 in Queens (apartment and house), 20 on LI (house). Been there, done that. My life in NY was VERY varied so I feel qualified to comment on NY weather, from all aspects.

Sorry, I don't agree that where I now live in SO MUCH better.
No one said that you should like Florida more. Each person has their own preferences.

That being said, the thread title asked if NYC is worth it for someone that does not like the cold, snow and ice. You have made it clear that you hate warm weather and love cold weather and snow.

Would it not stand to reason that you may not be the best person for them to take advice from and that maybe someone that previously lived in NY and does not like the cold, snow and ice might have a viewpoint similar to what they may encounter?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
New York City has not bad winters at all. More than half of the winter days brings bright sunshine ;]. SNOW/ICE? Maybe once or twice a year, nothing to worry about. COLD? Yes, it's around freezing point, but it's still mild during day which stays above freezing.
How long have you lived in NYC?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
The only thing I would complain about is the length of the season, not severity. Snow is not unheard of in NYC even in April. I always get a little impatient when I hear about cherry blossoms blooming in Washington DC while we still have snow.
No doubt your right…it’s the length of the cold season in the Tri-State area… not the severity that can be a drag. I think it feels this way on the East Coast to folks south of New England because a good portion of the year from May to early October is warm to hot…so the cool months seem even colder and with the Atlantic feel raw on the cooler days. Still, since I have time to kill here at work….just one more point about snow and April in NYC.

When folks who live in the Tri-State area say they have seen snow even in April…someone from the Midwest, Intermountain West, or New England hears that… and thinks April in the Tri-State area frequently has a deep and plowable snow in April. This has been perpetrated by media outlets like the cartoonish Weather Channel. The scientific reality is of course quite different (it always is).

Consider, using NWS data again for Central Park over the last 109 years… here are the number and depth of snowfalls greater than 3.0 inches … National Weather Service Climate

4/3/1915…10.0 inches
4/6/1982…9.6
4/1/1924 …8.5
4/5/1957…7.7
4/5/1944…6.5
4/9/1917…6.4
4/9/1907…5.0
4/8/1956…4.2
4/7/2003…4.0
4/6/1938…3.3

The above shows the true reality of snowstorms and NYC over the last 109 years: There have been vast stretches of years when NWS NYC could not muster even “one”measly snowfall greater than 3.0 inches in April. In the period from 1957 to 1982 (25 years), NYC failed to have even “one” snowfall of greater than 3.0 inches. Up until the light snow on 4/7/2003…NYC had gone 21 years without a snowfall of more than 2 inches in April. In fact…if 6 + inches of snow or more is considered (the minimal criteria for “snowstorm warnings”by the NWS), then there has been only “six snowstorm in NYC in April the last 109 years”. Just look at the snowfall over the past 5 Aprils in NYC:

April -2009= T (trace)
April - 2008 = 0
April - 2007= T
April - 2006 =0.1
April - 2005 = 0

The normal snowfall in NYC in April is 0.4 inches. The sole of most shoes are 1- inch high (lol). A true “snowstorm (6-inches or greater)” in NYC in April … well it’s like the 99-yard pass with 0.2 seconds left in the game. Possible, yes. Likely, No.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 10-27-2009 at 10:07 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 09:29 AM

7,593 posts, read 9,446,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
How long have you lived in NYC?
NYC is , outside of Philadelphia, the mildest Northern major city in terms of winter weather. You could easily say that NYC does NOT represent a typical northern winter. NYC winter temperatures are on par with the central/southern portions of the Midwest i.e. Columbus, Cincinnati, etc. The weather of of NYC is a very far cry from that of Minneapolis, or even Albany.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
NYC is , outside of Philadelphia, the mildest Northern major city in terms of winter weather. You could easily say that NYC does NOT represent a typical northern winter. NYC winter temperatures are on par with the central/southern portions of the Midwest i.e. Columbus, Cincinnati, etc.
There are plenty of smaller cities in the Tri-State/Middle Atlantic region that are as warm (some even warmer) than NYC in winter. Such as Trenton, NJ, Wilmington, DE, New Haven-Bridgeport, CT, Atlantic City, NJ, Baltimore, MD, Harrisburg, PA…etc.

Also, just to keep things fair to NYC "data wise" …NYC is “not on par” with Columbus or Cincinnati in terms of winter weather…NYC is warmer in winter than both Columbus and Cincinnati, and NYC gets less snow than Columbus, while it’s tied with Cincinnati. I would imagine that most of the other cites above in the Tri-State/Middle Atlantic would show similar numbers.

I think cities like Trenton, NJ, Atlantic City, NJ, Wilmington DE…etc…. might even get less than 15-inches of snow a winter. True severe winter conditions don’t really begin in the Northeast until you are in Upstate New York and New England (Massachusetts northward). Here are the numbers and the link if you missed it (you can click the links a few posts back to check):

Dec – 37.6 F
Jan – 32.4
Feb – 34.9

Dec – 33.6 F
Jan –27.7
Feb – 31.4

Dec – 33.9 F
Jan –29.0
Feb – 33.4

Dec – 31.7 F
Jan –26.2
Feb – 28.9

Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
There are plenty of smaller cities in the Tri-State/Middle Atlantic region that are as warm (some even warmer) than NYC in winter. Such as Trenton, NJ, Wilmington, DE, New Haven-Bridgeport, CT, Atlantic City, NJ, Baltimore, MD, Harrisburg, PA…etc.

Also, just to keep things factual…NYC is “not on par” with Columbus or Cincinnati in terms of winter weather…NYC is warmer in winter than both Columbus and Cincinnati, and NYC gets less snow than Columbus, while it’s tied with Cincinnati. I would imagine that most of the other cites above in the Tri-State/Middle Atlantic would show similar numbers.

I think cities like Trenton, NJ, Atlantic City, NJ, Wilmington DE…etc…. might even get less than 15-inches of snow a winter. True severe winter conditions don’t really begin in the Northeast until you are in Upstate New York and New England (Massachusetts northward). Here are the numbers and the link if you missed it (you can click the links a few posts back to check):

Dec – 37.6 F
Jan – 32.4
Feb – 34.9

Dec – 33.6 F
Jan –27.7
Feb – 31.4

Dec – 33.9 F
Jan –29.0
Feb – 33.4

Dec – 31.7 F
Jan –26.2
Feb – 28.9
...alas, this is why I used the term "MAJOR' in my statement.. I don't consider Bridgeport, CT to be a major city..

I also used Cincinnati as a comparison city for NYC, by the way..

Just so we're being factual..

Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
...alas, this is why I used the term "MAJOR' in my statement.. I don't consider Bridgeport, CT to be a major city..

I also used Cincinnati as a comparison city for NYC, by the way..

Just so we're being factual..
Well I think what threw me was when you said “You could easily say that NYC does NOT represent a typical northern winter”.

I think that is kind of the problem…where are we talking about this “northern winter? Maine, Michigan, Delaware, New Jersey, Ohio?. NYC represents quite well… the average winter conditions found along the East Coast from the coastal Tri-State area southward… which is generally is “milder” than Midwest cities like Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland…etc. Do to that fact, and the fact that most cities on the East Caost south of Boston get more sunshine in winter than Midwest cities...I would much rather spend a winter in the cities listed above than in most Midwest cities (big or small).

Cheers...

Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
NYC is , outside of Philadelphia, the mildest Northern major city in terms of winter weather. You could easily say that NYC does NOT represent a typical northern winter. NYC winter temperatures are on par with the central/southern portions of the Midwest i.e. Columbus, Cincinnati, etc. The weather of of NYC is a very far cry from that of Minneapolis, or even Albany.
That has to be the strangest answer to, "How long have you lived in NYC?", that I have ever seen.

The reason I had asked PalmBch was because he/she does not seem to be too familiar with NYC weather. Snow or ice once or twice a year?

Central Park had an inch or more of snow, what, 6 or 7 times this year so far?

That may seem like an insignificant amount to you or many others that like the cold and snow but just a reminder, the thread title is, "Is NYC worth the winter weather if you dislike the cold, snow, ice etc.?".

I also never compared NYC to any other place in my post so I don't comprehend why you are telling me it is not like Albany or Minneapolis weather.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 AM

Central Park has not had an "inch or two" multiple times this year; I don't know where you got this information..

It also doesn't matter if someone has spent one weekend or 20 years in NYC; the snow cover is minimal, the windchill negligible, the overall winter experience is mild.

The original poster wanted to know if NYC was " worth the weather change", and I'm trying to emphasize that it's not the extreme change that he/she thinks it is. If someone from Florida is planning a move to Minnesota, then weather is an important consideration; but going from Florida to NYC, the weather implications are minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or