U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:19 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,726,181 times

Advertisements

How can the USA possibly be in the top 10? I thought all our citizens were illiterate, 600 lbs overweight, and toothless due to complete lack of health care and gun-shooting injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 10:14 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,047,165 times
For the state as a whole, I think these states are the best:

Arkansas
DC (not a state, I know)
Florida
Georgia
Louisiana
Oklahoma

Of course, there are parts of other states that I think have a high quality of life. But the states I listed are the states where I would be happy living anywhere in the state.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:48 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,484,888 times
Oklahoma
Wyoming
New Mexico
Maryland
Virginia

Old 10-31-2009, 10:28 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
How can the USA possibly be in the top 10? I thought all our citizens were illiterate, 600 lbs overweight, and toothless due to complete lack of health care and gun-shooting injuries.

Actually though the UN lists us as the thirteenth. Still that puts us above Britain, Denmark, Germany, and New Zealand.

Human Development Report 2009 - Human development index trends

Nations with above average (over 30 million) populations tend not to be at the absolute top. Canada, France, and Japan are the three nations of over 30 million listed as above us. Japan is the only nation of over a 100 million above us. The US is the most developed nation among the nine nations to have over 130 million people.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:12 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
For the state as a whole, I think these states are the best:

Arkansas
DC (not a state, I know)
Florida
Georgia
Louisiana
Oklahoma

Of course, there are parts of other states that I think have a high quality of life. But the states I listed are the states where I would be happy living anywhere in the state.
Give specific reasons for those selections.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:18 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,245,458 times
my choice and in no particular order:

Utah
Colorado
Minnesota
Wisconsin
North Carolina
most of Virginia
Pennsylvania
New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine
Connecticut
Delaware

in the middle:

Indiana
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
Missouri
Tennessee
Texas
Oklahoma

the worst:

California
Taxachusettes
Nevada
Louisiana
Mississippi
West Virginia
Arizona
Florida
the Dakotas

Old 11-01-2009, 08:28 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,047,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Give specific reasons for those selections.
They have a relatively low cost of living, with DC being an exception. But DC is one of the few expensive places where I think it's worth the price. Low cost of living means you get more for your dollar and can afford a higher quality of life. I like the scenery in those states as well, which would contribute to quality of life. Some people may say those states have low education levels, but I think the education level of the individual is what matters more. If anything, fewer college graduates just means not as much competition for jobs that require a degree. I like the climates of those states as well, which is another factor that contributes to quality of life.

But there are parts of other states I like just as much, if not more. I just didn't list them because I was listing states as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.