U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:05 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,004,615 times

Advertisements

I think it's relatively common, or at least less uncommon, with people over 50. Then again I've heard "Negro" among people over 60, black and white, so that might not mean much.

I suppose when possible you might just be better off using the specific nationality rather than "Asian" or "Oriental."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 06:46 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,293,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think it's relatively common, or at least less uncommon, with people over 50. Then again I've heard "Negro" among people over 60, black and white, so that might not mean much.

I suppose when possible you might just be better off using the specific nationality rather than "Asian" or "Oriental."
I would think that anyone who watches even a little TV or communicates with other people on a daily basis would have to be aware of such major changes in what constitutes appropriate language. People over 50 are not excused from knowing these things - maybe people over 75 are, but 50 is a little young to be in that category.

I think that most non-Asians would not be able to immediately distinguish the nationality of an Asian person without further information from that person. I guess that's the main reason that "Asian" is used as a blanket description for people from Asia...much the same way that "white" or "black" is used as a blanket description for many people from the U.S. and all over the world.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 AM

324 posts, read 456,088 times
I knew of a racist who used the term "orientals" in a professional setting. I still think of the word is offensive. I don't think it is the right way to describe a person like that.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:57 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,040,806 times
There is also a Orient Point, NY.

It seems that the term has just fallen out of favor. Like gramophone or omnibus.

Undereducated rednecks will still use the word either out of ignorance or spite.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:07 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,209,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I guess that's the main reason that "Asian" is used as a blanket description for people from Asia...much the same way that "white" or "black" is used as a blanket description for many people from the U.S. and all over the world.
which begs the question, if "white" and "black" are okay why no "yellow"? (which i am assuming everyone would agree is racist)

Old 10-30-2009, 07:19 PM

985 posts, read 3,265,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I think that most non-Asians would not be able to immediately distinguish the nationality of an Asian person without further information from that person. I guess that's the main reason that "Asian" is used as a blanket description for people from Asia...much the same way that "white" or "black" is used as a blanket description for many people from the U.S. and all over the world.
China and India, the two largest Asian countries, have populations that are quite readily distinguishable to most non-Asians.
But you're right, Asian, Black, Latino, and White are blanket descriptions for many people from America and all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
which begs the question, if "white" and "black" are okay why no "yellow"? (which i am assuming everyone would agree is racist)
I guess because Asians vary from black to white and everything inbetween.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I guess because Asians vary from black to white and everything inbetween.
As do black and white people...there is a wide range of skin colors within every race, so I've never quite understood why we call people by colors. I'm white, but I've met many a black person with skin just about a shade darker than mine.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,004,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Asians aren't yellow, but then again whites aren't white. We're really closer to a pinkish color. In fact I believe Ethiopians once called us "the pink people." (Not that pink is entirely right either)

I think calling Asians "Yellow" was specifically connected to certain scaremonger images. "The Yellow Peril" being the most obvious. "Black" I guess was too, but maybe not quite in the same way. Also "yellow" can describe an emotion, namely fear. Granted "Dark" can describe an emotional mood and "darkie" is indeed a racial slur. In fact I have heard my Dad use the n-word, but I'm not sure I've ever heard him say "darkie" and I don't know if I hear blacks calling each other that either.

Addendum: I do recall an episode of the Chappelle Show where Rick James, as portrayed by Chappelle, calls the Murphy brothers "The Darkness brothers." However I think this was seen as a sign the James character was high and being kind of a jerk.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Asians aren't yellow, but then again whites aren't white. We're really closer to a pinkish color. In fact I believe Ethiopians once called us "the pink people." (Not that pink is entirely right either)

I think calling Asians "Yellow" was specifically connected to certain scaremonger images. "The Yellow Peril" being the most obvious. "Black" I guess was too, but maybe not quite in the same way. Also "yellow" can describe an emotion, namely fear. Granted "Dark" can describe an emotional mood and "darkie" is indeed a racial slur. In fact I have heard my Dad use the n-word, but I'm not sure I've ever heard him say "darkie" and I don't know if I hear blacks calling each other that either.
On the other hand, "white" is usually associated with the good guy or hero, or purity. I wonder how that happened?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Addendum: I do recall an episode of the Chappelle Show where Rick James, as portrayed by Chappelle, calls the Murphy brothers "The Darkness brothers." However I think this was seen as a sign the James character was high and being kind of a jerk.
"I'm Rick James B*TCH!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or