U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,676,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Then why are they always calling us Yankees?

That's arragont and annoying.
I apologize for some stupid people in the South. I get annoyed when people here say that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 01:57 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,676,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
"Oh Mr. Tough man, Don't mess with that dude because he shovels snow!"
lol!

Old 10-31-2009, 02:01 PM

34,690 posts, read 33,695,295 times
When I was still living in NY, I once made a two week work related trip to Dallas Texas with a group of co-workers from offices around the country. I was in my mid-30s at the time. We got tickets to see a Monday Night Football exhibition season game. On the way to the night game, we passed a building with an electric sign that said it was 110 degrees. Because we were not season ticket holders, we had to park in the farthest parking field and because it was exhibition season, there were no shuttles from the lot to the stadium. The lot was so far from the stadium that we had to walk over a bridge/overpass that went over the highway. I was drenched. My eyes were burning. My glasses were dripping. You could have wrung out my hair, easily. Yet, there were native Dallas women who made the same walk we did and had make up on and perfectly coiffed big hair (it was the 80s) and were wearing, I kid you not, long sleeved shirts. They did not drip one bit. They were amazing. When we got to the stadium I ordered a large soda, drank the soda, and poured the ice down the front of my tee shirt to cool off as did a fellow worker. When we drove back to our hotel after midnight, the same electric sign said the temperature was 103 degrees. After midnight - 103 degrees.

Yes, I am a heat wuss. I'm uncomfortable at 80 degrees and love 50 and 40 degree temperatures. But, now I live in Tennessee. I'm just much more energetic and active in the winter, late Fall and early Spring. Not a big fan of snow, just love cold weather. I have noticed, however, that when I am wearing a tee shirt when the temps are in the low 60s, the people around me have on lightweight jackets. I guess it's just what you are used to.

Now about the government controlling our thermostat, I am totally against it. Maybe my air conditioner runs more months but my heat runs less months.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:35 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,574,743 times
Why do Northerners brag about Winter toughness...I don't!!!! winter kicks my *** every year then let's up just summer comes then well be back at it again next year!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:40 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,446,699 times
All I can say is thank God for central air and heat!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:46 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
All I can say is thank God for central air and heat!
Agreed!

Just last month my roommate froze up the AC and it was torture!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:54 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,971,762 times
Each year I am in Florida, the AC gets lower and lower. I tolerate the heat less and less as time goes by. Last January when I was in NY, it was 9 degrees and snowing. It felt wonderful. I even had to take off my wool sweater under my down coat because I was sweating.

Yeah, right you get "used to" the heat. I am not a kid etiher. I am 60 and SUPPOSED to feel cold all the time. Well, you know what? I DON'T. I feel HOT all the time.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:14 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,051,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Then why are they always calling us Yankees?

That's arragont and annoying.
Plenty of Northerners believe redneck stereotypes of the South. The street goes both ways.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:19 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,398,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
"Oh Mr. Tough man, Don't mess with that dude because he shovels snow!"
That'd be taking it out of context.

When you get heavy snow you sometimes have to shovel your roof, driveway, sidewalks, and of course the street and multiple times because the snow plow comes by and shoves another three feet of snow where you just shoveled.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:29 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
That'd be taking it out of context.

When you get heavy snow you sometimes have to shovel your roof, driveway, sidewalks, and of course the street and multiple times because the snow plow comes by and shoves another three feet of snow where you just shoveled.
Once again; that's called hard work. Why would this make you tough???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.