U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 07:32 AM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I thought it was the other way around?
O'hare records colder low temperatures since they have somewhat less of a heat island than Midway or the Loop. O'Hare is substantially colder than the Lakefront in the winter when you are talking about low temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,204,831 times
i HATE the winter

Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 AM

2,242 posts, read 5,555,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Actually since 1980 the official site has been out at O'hare - so the temps are usually colder than the actual temp in the city, and many times in the summer as well because of the lake breezes.

O'hare is about 19 miles northwest of downtown, and obviously more "rural" since the land site is so huge.
I wouldn't say rural...
There's plenty of houses and people around.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM

79 posts, read 178,406 times
Okay, I am from the North, from the snowbelt and land of Nor'Easters around the Syracuse, Ny area.

I currently live in Southern KY (no snow here!) and I have made a comment about people feeling cold when it was 70 degrees. It wasn't meant to brag about my cold-tolerance, rather just expressing my surprise that ANYONE would feel cold when it is in the 70's.

On the other hand, I give my Southern friends credit for taking these 90+ degree days in stride while I am panting, sweating, and don't want to even leave the house. I guess I am amazed that they can handle the heat and I can't...even after being here almost 3 years.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:14 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I wouldn't say rural...
There's plenty of houses and people around.
Right, I didn't mean rural as in it was in a rural setting. I just meant that O'hare takes up a lot of land areas, around 10-12 square miles. It's more wide open, not as many buildings, and more grassy areas that don't soak up the heat as much.

Winter it's normally warmer in the city, summer it's normally warmer at O'hare.

I think the most extreme is the spring, where it can be up to 15 degrees warmer at O'hare if you get a hard lake breeze blowing early in the spring.

Likewise in fall temps have already gotten down to the 20's in the suburbs, but in the city it's only made it to the upper 30's.

It's already November, but all the summer plants are still blooming brightly around my neighborhood. I just went out and watered all my impatients and geraniums last night. I still don't think we're suppose to get below 40 in the city during the next 10 days as far as low temps. Our highs this weekend are apparently going to approach 70 degrees in the city. That's pretty decent for early November. I remember last November we were in the mid 70's during the first part of November.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:51 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,052,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Southerners don't brag about toughness in handling heat. Certainly not to the same degree nor the same level of exaggeration that northerners do.

For instance, in some places where it might snow on the odd occassion if schools close for a couple of inches of snow a northerner will respond with "we can have 2 feet of snow and schools would still be open" or if a southerner complains about feeling cold at 30 degrees the northerner response will be "this is nothing." The boasting goes to the point of exaggerating.

BUT....

When a northerner complains about excessive heat at 83 degrees, southerners don't boast about not turning on the air conditioning at 105 degrees or bragging about how much heat they can tolerate.

Why is it such a one way street?
Well the cold is a much harsher weather condition. Which would be more of a problem not having heat in the summer in the south or west coast, or not having heat in the north or midwest?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM

217 posts, read 611,380 times
but in cleveland it can get just as hot in the summer as atlanta, 89 degrees, all of that..but ya'll just dont know what its like to experience our winter...its like we get the worst of both worlds...

Old 11-06-2009, 09:21 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Well the cold is a much harsher weather condition. Which would be more of a problem not having heat in the summer in the south or west coast, or not having heat in the north or midwest?
Not having heat in the north. The human body can handle heat more better than cold.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:14 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Abdul View Post
but in cleveland it can get just as hot in the summer as atlanta, 89 degrees, all of that..but ya'll just dont know what its like to experience our winter...its like we get the worst of both worlds...
Keep up! We've already descused this! With the exception of massive heat islands in places like Manhattan and downtown Chicago, it doesn't nearly as hot up north than it does in most parts of the South. A high of 89 is actually a really nice day for us. In Houston, we don't normally drop below 90 in the summer except in the mornings and evenings. Humidity is crazy here too!

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-06-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Extreme heat can be just as dangerous as the cold.

Any why would you need a heater in the summer?

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-06-2009 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.