U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 12,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
An average January daytime-high would be in the low 20's for MSP, but , YES, an average daily temperature ( nightime low, daytime high) would be about 13 degrees. In the past, I've seen the respective highs and lows as 24 and 2, with a subsequent average of 13.

International Falls has days in which even the daytime high does not get above zero.
Yep, actually much of the northern plains typically has several days a year in winter that do not get above '0' for highs. Often times this can happen several days in a row as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 04:52 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,964,931 times
Default I hope it ISN'T 70 degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
LOL glad I don't live in New England, its been 70+ for the past 3 days here. I was talking about it not being cold enough for warm water to instantly freeze.

NYC's average high in January is 39 degrees (average low is 27 degrees). I never knew Minneapolis's average high was 13 degrees. Both 13 and 39 are too extreme for me lol.
this Thanksgiving when I come and make dinner with my daughters. I used to COMPLAIN when it was in the 60s. It is now 65 in Naples with a "cold front". For HERE it feels great compared to 80s or 90s which is what it was just 2 weeks ago.

I am really looking forward to nice CRISP Fall weather where I can wear jeans, sweatshirts, jackets, and sleep in flannel under DOWN.

I think it is pitiful that I have to be "greatful" for 60s in Florida. Damn, I am in the wrong state, in more ways than one, no matter how old I am.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:55 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,085,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
this Thanksgiving when I come and make dinner with my daughters. I used to COMPLAIN when it was in the 60s. It is now 65 in Naples with a "cold front". For HERE it feels great compared to 80s or 90s which is what it was just 2 weeks ago.

I am really looking forward to nice CRISP Fall weather where I can wear jeans, sweatshirts, jackets, and sleep in flannel under DOWN.

I think it is pitiful that I have to be "greatful" for 60s in Florida. Damn, I am in the wrong state, in more ways than one, no matter how old I am.
OMG I'm shocked at the forecast for Thanksgiving & Black Friday:

Spoiler
Mid-40's [Note: This is very much subject to change because its 2 weeks in advance]

If the forecast does stay that way (which I highly doubt) I'll be fine as long as I don't have to go outside (which I most likely will).

The good news is after 2 days we're supposed to be back around 70 degrees for a few days.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:45 PM

Default Neither of my daughters wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
OMG I'm shocked at the forecast for Thanksgiving & Black Friday:

Spoiler
Mid-40's [Note: This is very much subject to change because its 2 weeks in advance]

If the forecast does stay that way (which I highly doubt) I'll be fine as long as I don't have to go outside (which I most likely will).

The good news is after 2 days we're supposed to be back around 70 degrees for a few days.
to come to Florida for the Holidays, including the one who lived here for 4 months. I don't want to spent HOURS cooking dinner in the OVEN when it is 70 degrees. It was miserable enough in Florida WITH AC, which my daughter doesn't have in NY.

I HOPE it isnt that HOT in NY. Besides the cooking, I am really looking forward to wearing FALL CLOTHES.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:18 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,664,378 times
Quote:
to come to Florida for the Holidays, including the one who lived here for 4 months. I don't want to spent HOURS cooking dinner in the OVEN when it is 70 degrees. It was miserable enough in Florida WITH AC, which my daughter doesn't have in NY.

I HOPE it isnt that HOT in NY. Besides the cooking, I am really looking forward to wearing FALL CLOTHES.
Not sure why that is shocking......

Old 11-13-2009, 05:01 PM

Default Because I a 60 year old native

[quote=jluke65780;11616319]Not sure why that is shocking......[/quote

60 degrees was considered HOT for Thanksgiving in the NYC area. It used to SNOW the end of November when I was a kid. To have it 70 degrees on Thanksgiving is NOT NORMAL for the NORTHEAST. That is only 10 degrees cooler than SOUTH Florida was last year.

Globaly Warming anyone?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:55 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,394,762 times
[quote=TANaples;11616756]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Not sure why that is shocking......[/quote

60 degrees was considered HOT for Thanksgiving in the NYC area. It used to SNOW the end of November when I was a kid. To have it 70 degrees on Thanksgiving is NOT NORMAL for the NORTHEAST. That is only 10 degrees cooler than SOUTH Florida was last year.

Globaly Warming anyone?
Not that I don't believe in Global Warming, but one day does not mean anything.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Not sure why that is shocking......

Globaly Warming anyone?
Wow, 60 degrees was hot back then around this time of year. It seems like our Christmases have been 50-60 degrees for the past few years (except 2003). Its pretty normal now. I can't believe snow at the end of November was normal too, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get any snow until the next decade.

Times really have changed a lot.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:57 PM

156 posts, read 327,711 times
I came from New Jersey in 2005 to retire and I can see that they do not have the snow equipment that NJ has but I can understand why .If you only get snow once in awhile and half the time it is gone by the next day why would anyone want that much equipment around to maintain and also I live in a rural area and I can understand why they close the schools ,travel some of these back rounds and you will know why . I would rather they close schools than risk lives . YES we do get alot of snow in NJ and I know from years of shoveling it . I used to tell people we got so much snow I thought I was having an affiar with my snow shovel since I spent so much time with it .Right now I think that poor shovel is lost and alone in my shed here and a quess what I don't care . lol And believe me when I say I do not miss the wind chills being below zero for a week either. I still love NJ because I lived there for 50 years and I still have lots of friends still there .I love the fresh air here and I do not complain about the winters here thats for sure . I came to VA on my honeymoon and I said I wanted to retire here and I did it . LUCKY LUCKY ME

Old 11-13-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy77 View Post
I came from New Jersey in 2005 to retire and I can see that they do not have the snow equipment that NJ has but I can understand why .If you only get snow once in awhile and half the time it is gone by the next day why would anyone want that much equipment around to maintain and also I live in a rural area and I can understand why they close the schools ,travel some of these back rounds and you will know why . I would rather they close schools than risk lives . YES we do get alot of snow in NJ and I know from years of shoveling it . I used to tell people we got so much snow I thought I was having an affiar with my snow shovel since I spent so much time with it .Right now I think that poor shovel is lost and alone in my shed here and a quess what I don't care . lol And believe me when I say I do not miss the wind chills being below zero for a week either. I still love NJ because I lived there for 50 years and I still have lots of friends still there .I love the fresh air here and I do not complain about the winters here thats for sure . I came to VA on my honeymoon and I said I wanted to retire here and I did it . LUCKY LUCKY ME
Are you from Sussex County by any chance? Windchills below zero is extreme, especially for a week is very extreme.

That's such a nice story, I love Virginia, its so beautiful, I love the whole state. I'm glad you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.