U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,155,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Are you trying to tell me it's safer to work outside naked in the winter than to work outside with clothes on in the summer?

When I say you need more precautions to deal with the cold, I mean you can just walk outside in the summer and you're good to go. But in the winter, you have to bundle up (which is a precaution). Plus you have to deal with shoveling the driveway, scraping ice off the windows, and warming up the car if you want to (and if you dare to) drive anywhere in the winter when it's snowing. I've lived in Massachusetts and Connecticut. I hated how I had to bundle up in the winter. But what I hated even more was that even when I bundled up, I was still cold (warmer than I would be without bundling up, but not warm).
I didn't say safer, they're both stupid, and yes, both can seriously damage you.

You named one precaution for cold, bundling up, which like I just said, isn't even as drastic as a requirement as you think. You can cover up just enough, like I do, if you want. At the same time, you ignored any precautions for heat, bravo.

"Plus you have to deal with shoveling the driveway, scraping ice off the windows, and warming up the car..."
These are not precautions for going outside when it's cold.

"and if you dare to.." Lol, are you serious? Let me say it in a scary voice, IF YOU DARE TO!!! Life doesn't stop up here just cause it snows, people still drive everywhere they have to normally. If I have to get to school/or work in the morning, I don't call in and say, sorry I'm afraid to drive in the snow, won't show up today.

It's really clear you don't like the cold, that's fine. But then, you go and say things like, if you dare to, to make it sound so horrible. You also ignore any dangers involved with heat, and there's alot. You can argue your obvious hatred of cold all you want, I've had to live with the extreme end of each all my life, I know what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,050,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I didn't say safer, they're both stupid, and yes, both can seriously damage you.

You named one precaution for cold, bundling up, which like I just said, isn't even as drastic as a requirement as you think. You can cover up just enough, like I do, if you want. At the same time, you ignored any precautions for heat, bravo.

"Plus you have to deal with shoveling the driveway, scraping ice off the windows, and warming up the car..."
These are not precautions for going outside when it's cold.

"and if you dare to.." Lol, are you serious? Let me say it in a scary voice, IF YOU DARE TO!!! Life doesn't stop up here just cause it snows, people still drive everywhere they have to normally. If I have to get to school/or work in the morning, I don't call in and say, sorry I'm afraid to drive in the snow, won't show up today.

It's really clear you don't like the cold, that's fine. But then, you go and say things like, if you dare to, to make it sound so horrible. You also ignore any dangers involved with heat, and there's alot. You can argue your obvious hatred of cold all you want, I've had to live with the extreme end of each all my life, I know what I'm talking about.
Ok, there are precautions with heat. Like you said, you have to stay hydrated. I don't have a car and I walk up to a mile to go shopping. I just drink a lot of water when I get home, it's not a big deal. If you live somewhere warm and sunny like me, you get a base tan and then it's harder to get a sunburn (yes, I am white). I've only got 1 sunburn this summer and that was when I stayed outside all day for Warped Tour.

You say you've dealt with heat and cold all your life, but you're 19. I lived in New England for 18 years so I dealt with that weather for almost as long as you. And obviously I realize life doesn't stop up there when it snows. But I don't like driving in the snow so I wouldn't want to deal with that. I learned how to drive in Massachusetts and I moved to Las Cruces when I was 18. So I didn't drive for very long in Massachusetts but even the short amount of time I drove was long enough for me to realize I don't like winter driving. Driving in the snow might not be a big deal to you, but it is to me.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:12 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,984,650 times
Quote:
Ok, there are precautions with heat. Like you said, you have to stay hydrated. I don't have a car and I walk up to a mile to go shopping. I just drink a lot of water when I get home, it's not a big deal.
Alright I'll give the hypothetical guy in New Orleans unlimited water - he should be able to make it through the day. To be fair, I'll give the guy in Duluth unlimited hot chocolate; he'll still be dead in 15 minutes.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,155,201 times
Quote:
Ok, there are precautions with heat. Like you said, you have to stay hydrated. I don't have a car and I walk up to a mile to go shopping. I just drink a lot of water when I get home, it's not a big deal. If you live somewhere warm and sunny like me, you get a base tan and then it's harder to get a sunburn (yes, I am white). I've only got 1 sunburn this summer and that was when I stayed outside all day for Warped Tour.

You say you've dealt with heat and cold all your life, but you're 19. I lived in New England for 18 years so I dealt with that weather for almost as long as you. And obviously I realize life doesn't stop up there when it snows. But I don't like driving in the snow so I wouldn't want to deal with that. I learned how to drive in Massachusetts and I moved to Las Cruces when I was 18. So I didn't drive for very long in Massachusetts but even the short amount of time I drove was long enough for me to realize I don't like winter driving. Driving in the snow might not be a big deal to you, but it is to me.
Ok, but don't try to make it sound like the rest of us can't do it, like it's so so horrible. And you're right, dealing with the heat is not a big deal. Neither is dealing with the cold. Being cold is more uncomfortable for you than being hot is, for some people it's the other way around, some people like both, hate both, or don't care. How we feel about what's better isn't a measure of which one is actually worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Alright I'll give the hypothetical guy in New Orleans unlimited water - he should be able to make it through the day. To be fair, I'll give the guy in Duluth unlimited hot chocolate; he'll still be dead in 15 minutes.
Drinking water all day will not save you from exposure, hyperthermia, and heat exhaustion. Tell you what, next time there's a 104 degree day in New Orleans, you walk around the entire day naked with your water (no other precautions) and see how you feel. You wouldn't die in fifteen minutes, but you'd still be in danger, and the cold wouldn't kill you in fifteen minutes either, stop exaggerating. You can still out in the cold for fifteen minutes and not die, even naked.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:51 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,397,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Ok, but don't try to make it sound like the rest of us can't do it, like it's so so horrible. And you're right, dealing with the heat is not a big deal. Neither is dealing with the cold. Being cold is more uncomfortable for you than being hot is, for some people it's the other way around, some people like both, hate both, or don't care. How we feel about what's better isn't a measure of which one is actually worse.

Drinking water all day will not save you from exposure, hyperthermia, and heat exhaustion. Tell you what, next time there's a 104 degree day in New Orleans, you walk around the entire day naked with your water (no other precautions) and see how you feel. You wouldn't die in fifteen minutes, but you'd still be in danger, and the cold wouldn't kill you in fifteen minutes either, stop exaggerating. You can still out in the cold for fifteen minutes and not die, even naked.
Read the purple:

Warm Vs Cold Deaths

Old 07-11-2010, 03:34 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,162,598 times
I'll guarantee you the people in those photos are NOT standing outside in below zero weather. Cold, yes. Sub-zero, no.

Naked at -30 or lower and your life expectancy isn't very long.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:42 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,162,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Read the purple:

Warm Vs Cold Deaths
You can also find studies that show the numbers of deaths related to weather are actually almost equal due to hot or cold. It is all a matter if what you want to make your study show. These need to be taken with a grain of salt, until you see how they actually came up with those numbers. Most of the ones that show a higher number of deaths in cold weather are not factoring out the normal number you could expect during time period studied, as well as NOT looking at death rates during only high heat incidences, but instead the entire Summer season.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:40 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,984,650 times
at MissyRoxyhart, it's snowing in your pictures. If it's snowing it probably it's probably at least 25F which isn't that cold and definitely not cold enough to kill you quickly. In Duluth the yearly low is somewhere around -20F. If you stand in that kind of weather with the wind blowing off of Lake Superior, if you weren't dead in a quarter hour, you'd definitely be passed out and about to die.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:19 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,940,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
at MissyRoxyhart, it's snowing in your pictures. If it's snowing it probably it's probably at least 25F which isn't that cold and definitely not cold enough to kill you quickly. In Duluth the yearly low is somewhere around -20F. If you stand in that kind of weather with the wind blowing off of Lake Superior, if you weren't dead in a quarter hour, you'd definitely be passed out and about to die.
And once again this does not make you tough only stupid.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:59 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,100,781 times
Quote:
He said you would die if you stood outside naked in Duluth during the winter, which is true.
Why would someone stand outside naked in Duluth during the winter, short of a serious mental handicap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.