U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM

492 posts, read 863,881 times

Advertisements

To me, I think one has to endure more with the heat than they have to with the cold.

And I say this because when its hot, theres only so much you can take off until youre down to just flesh and the sun can really do a lot of damage to the naked skin. Ive seen so many people pass out from heat exhaustion, become dizzy dehydrated and sick and almost have heat strokes. Sometimes its been so hot and humid where it was hard to breathe. You have to be very careful in the heat. With the cold, it can get uncomfortable at times, but thats normally if you dont have the proper attire. Only thing to combat heat is air conditioning or a fan, and some cold liquids.

I see more people walking around in the freezing cold (fashionably at that) than I do when its scorching hot. Notice how when its really hot, no one is trying to be americas next top model when its about 98 degrees outside. People actually avoid going outside. But if its freezing cold, people are still out and about and dressed nice at that. So it cant be too tough if you still have time to be fashionable. LOL!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,156,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I like how some people seem to think it snow 24 hours a day for 3 months straight in the winter. Like every single morning you're going to have to shovel or scrape your car (don't most people put them in garages anyway?).

Maybe in a few select places with lake-effect snow you're going to see a lot of days like that. In Chicago and most of the north you can count on your fingers how many times a year you'd actually have to shovel and deal with snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
To me, I think one has to endure more with the heat than they have to with the cold.

And I say this because when its hot, theres only so much you can take off until youre down to just flesh and the sun can really do a lot of damage to the naked skin. Ive seen so many people pass out from heat exhaustion, become dizzy dehydrated and sick and almost have heat strokes. Sometimes its been so hot and humid where it was hard to breathe. You have to be very careful in the heat. With the cold, it can get uncomfortable at times, but thats normally if you dont have the proper attire. Only thing to combat heat is air conditioning or a fan, and some cold liquids.

I see more people walking around in the freezing cold (fashionably at that) than I do when its scorching hot. Notice how when its really hot, no one is trying to be americas next top model when its about 98 degrees outside. People actually avoid going outside. But if its freezing cold, people are still out and about and dressed nice at that. So it cant be too tough if you still have time to be fashionable. LOL!
Finally some more people who actually make sense. The way other people spin crap here, you'd think the North is a frozen wasteland incapable of supporting life, and that humans were never ever meant to come in contact with temperatures below 45, and if they do, they shut down.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,060,420 times
Quote:

I notice the opposite. People wear more revealing clothing when it's hot outside. They cover up when it's cold outside.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It might be a big difference, so what? It still shows that more people die from the cold, and so far, I have been the only person to back up what they are saying with a study.

I gave you once source, if you want more go find them yourself.
I agree with the point you're trying to make that cold is more dangerous. But I thought you liked the cold so I find it surprising that you're trying to make that point

Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Winter fashion is the best fashion lol.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I like how some people seem to think it snow 24 hours a day for 3 months straight in the winter. Like every single morning you're going to have to shovel or scrape your car (don't most people put them in garages anyway?).

Maybe in a few select places with lake-effect snow you're going to see a lot of days like that. In Chicago and most of the north you can count on your fingers how many times a year you'd actually have to shovel and deal with snow.
Like I said earlier, I grew up in the North. I realize it doesn't snow every single day. But the snow sticks around so you have to deal with it until it melts, which can be a long time. I didn't have a garage when I lived in Massachusetts. And you have to scrape ice off your car windows whenever it dips below freezing overnight, which is just about every night in the winter up North.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Like I said earlier, I grew up in the North. I realize it doesn't snow every single day. But the snow sticks around so you have to deal with it until it melts, which can be a long time. I didn't have a garage when I lived in Massachusetts. And you have to scrape ice off your car windows whenever it dips below freezing overnight, which is just about every night in the winter up North.
Or you could heat up the windshield and hit the wiper like I do. The back and side windows get it melted it off too.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,661,724 times
when its hot here, every female from about 15 to 93 has on a dress, pumps, an expensive bag and shades.

from about 15-50 something that dress is revealing as hell.

if its not a dress then its leggings...so as a guy its not like you have to use your imagination.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 AM

492 posts, read 863,881 times
Quote:
I notice the opposite. People wear more revealing clothing when it's hot outside. They cover up when it's cold outside.

you know what I what I was getting at

Last edited by VA7cities; 07-12-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,403,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
So what? Are you kidding, go take a statistics class, and a research methods class, 5 to 15 times is a huge difference and I'm right to question such a bogus sounding claim. I said you're probably right anyway. More people probably do die from the cold, but it's probably much closer than you think, and again, what are the outside factors! How many people the cold killed were sick, homeless, how was it decided what constituted what kind of death and when?

I think I backed up my point of people being able to stand cold (freezing) temperatures pretty well. And so you got a study, big deal. There's tons of bogus studies, and who exactly did this. I'm still really hesitant to trust a study that suggests climate change might not be a bad thing.

Yeah, I'll do your work for you. That's the way to argue, "I'm right, if you want proof go find it yourself, my word is enough."

Everyone wants to dodge this. No matter how much you ignore it, the heat is dangerous too, not just a lil dangerous, alot. The cold may kill more people, it may or may not be alot more. Maybe it does, that still doesn't make the heat any less dangerous than it is. And when you come down to it, how many people in the US live in areas where the Winter cold is a daily threat to their lives, how many live where the Summer heat is? I don't think there's too many in either direction, and if there was I'd imagine it'd be on the heat side.
Once again, It doesn't matter that 5-15 is a large variance. And I never said my word is enough, I said that fact that I am the only one to post a source to a study makes what I'm saying that much more reliable.

Study > pictures of naked people in snow.

Quote:
I agree with the point you're trying to make that cold is more dangerous. But I thought you liked the cold so I find it surprising that you're trying to make that point
Because proving this helps the "winter toughness" idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.