U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 AM

21,367 posts, read 21,930,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Sharpgary.com didn't seem like such a great source so I decided to do a little research.

According to the CDC there are approximately 600 deaths per year attributed to cold weather.

Cold related deaths

I could not find where they averaged out heat deaths but between 1999 and 2003 they recorded 3442 deaths related to heat. That would average out to 688.4 per year

Heat related deaths

So it seems there is not a significantly big difference in death rates between cold and hot.

Guess the hot side and the cold side are going to have to find a different talking point to replace that one.
OK, dying from the heat is a thousand, no ten-thousand times more miserable than dying from the cold. When you die from heat stroke, you generally spend hours writhing in agony with the song "Hot Child in the City" going over and over in your head. When you die of hypothermia you quickly reach a state of mellowness and Dean Martin's "Baby it's Cold Outside" typically plays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,059,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
What is YOUR point?
I said there are plenty of Northern homers that try to justify living somewhere cold, then he said this is coming from someone living in a desert. What does me living in a desert have to do with the fact that there are a lot of Northern homers?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I really don't understand how it doesn't matter that it's such a large variance, it kinda calls the whole "study" into question. They really couldn't have quantified it any closer than that?

I didn't say it was better than your "study", I said I proved my point. I argued that the need to bundle up isn't as drastic as some people think it is. I gave my own experience on how I don't bundle up all that much, and gave the example of those people standing around like that in below freezing weather. Sure it's a stupid thing to do, but you can still do it. (That's independent of the Duluth, hot/cold extremes argument, so don't go back to that)

Alright, so you're trying to prove the cold is more dangerous to prove that people brag more about winter toughness, or that people are automatically tougher for dealing with it? I'm not being a jerk on this, I just don't know which "winter toughness idea" you're actually talking about.

If you are trying to prove that it's tougher in any way or whatever, I guess that explains ignoring the dangers of heat and anything I say about it over and over.

Also, if you're trying to prove the OP's point, that Northerner's brag more about it, I thought it was pretty clear he was just being stupid or trolling. He really proved how little he knew assuming 83 was some kind of upper limit for heat up here...

If you're trying to prove Northerner's are actually tougher for it, that's kinda dumb considering the varying harsh conditions people live in, in certain areas across the country (or world). Also, kinda ignoring the people that live with both. People can live pretty much anywhere they have to, it doesn't really make you tougher, if you can do it, someone from somewhere else can do it too, even if they complain about it all the time.
You may be fine without bundling up much. But you're not everyone. When I lived in New England, I was cold even when I bundled up. Either you don't get as cold as me or you don't mind being cold.

And it gets warmer than 83 up North, but 83 is a realistic average temperature in the summer up north. I knew plenty of people up north that thought 83 degrees was so hot. In the South, 83 is Spring weather. Three days of 90 degree weather is a heat wave up north. Three months of 90 degree weather in the South is normal. Northern summers are nothing compared to the South and from my experience, Northerners have a low heat tolerance.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwalk View Post
I've never bragged about "winter toughness" but I really don't find winters to be all that bad. If you can endure on again and off again snow for 2 months and maybe one or two weeks of supercold temperatures then the rest of the year is very pleasant. I'm sure the same could be said for the southern states....really hot weather for maybe a month and the rest is all good.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that enjoys all 4 seasons and have no problem with weather extremes
And if you like the heat, you don't even mind the summer weather in the South.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:23 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,156,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You may be fine without bundling up much. But you're not everyone. When I lived in New England, I was cold even when I bundled up. Either you don't get as cold as me or you don't mind being cold.

And it gets warmer than 83 up North, but 83 is a realistic average temperature in the summer up north. I knew plenty of people up north that thought 83 degrees was so hot. In the South, 83 is Spring weather. Three days of 90 degree weather is a heat wave up north. Three months of 90 degree weather in the South is normal. Northern summers are nothing compared to the South and from my experience, Northerners have a low heat tolerance.
That's right, I don't mind being cold. But I never said everyone else doesn't, because for the last time, my point was that the need to bundle up isn't as drastic as people think, not to be safe. That's all. You may be uncomfortable, you won't die. Lots of people find hot weather uncomfortable, either you don't get as hot as them, or you don't mind being hot.

An average like 83, alright an average. First, it depends on what the North is, say Maine to Chicago, as alotta people like to tell me, (which includes the Midwest which doesn't get as hot) or just the Northeast (where by the way temp. differences from say Maine to lower CT would be varying too) which is what I'm mainly talking about. We are no strangers to 90 and above weather to 100 for decent periods of time, and heat waves aren't exactly uncommon. I like how you mention my anecdotes apply just to me, then give me one of your own. In your experience Northerners have a low heat tolerance, in mine they don't, no less than anyone else.

I don't know how you can argue for such a large area as the entire North not getting warmer or colder anyway, I see you lived in CT and Mass, you should know temps and climate can vary widely across large regions. I can't remember all the damn times everything just north of northern CT was covered in snow and we still had to go to school cause it just wasn't frikken cold enough and we got absolutely nothing. I lived in NYC, throughout Jersey and CT, spent lottsa time all over New England and the rest of the Northeast, and saying something like we have a low tolerance for weather over 83 is just wrong. And, even with temps like 83, you're forgetting one important thing, humidity, something we have tons of (as so many people on CD like to point out) when 83 days feel like 90 and worse pretty often, it's the windchill of heat. People ragging on the Northeast love to point out our freezing winters and our hellish summers, thanks to the humidity. (hellish summers is an actual quote but I'm not gonna go looking for the poster who said it, it's mentioned often enough on here though...)

Quote:
And if you like the heat, you don't even mind the summer weather in the South.
And if you like the cold or both, you don't mind the weather in the North. I'm really getting tired of this, we get that alotta people on here don't like the cold, well there are plenty of people who do, and plenty of people who don't like the heat. You people don't like the cold, what is the vendetta though, why aren't others allowed to enjoy it? Why do you try so hard to prove our lives suck for living with it? How many threads do you see started by Northerners trashing the Sun Belt for it's "always hot, uncomfortable, never changing, boring" weather. (before someone jumps on me about southern weather, that was sarcasm)

Last edited by missRoxyhart; 07-13-2010 at 10:32 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,156,982 times
Quote:
I said there are plenty of Northern homers that try to justify living somewhere cold, then he said this is coming from someone living in a desert. What does me living in a desert have to do with the fact that there are a lot of Northern homers?
I guess he meant you'd be like a "heat homer" trying to justify living somewhere hot? I'm really not sure why we should have to justify living in a certain climate though...

Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I guess he meant you'd be like a "heat homer" trying to justify living somewhere hot? I'm really not sure why we should have to justify living in a certain climate though...
I think that was probably the issue, sticking the word "justify" in there. As if you have to defend yourself from living up north because it's against all human nature and rational thinking to do so.

I don't really see why anyone would have to "defend" living where there's a cold winter any more than where there's a really hot summer. I've been doing it cold for decades and honestly I like the winter. Not as much as summer, but there's no HATRED there for winter or anything. I realized as I was on the train today standing in the sunlight that I get a lot more uncomfortable in the warmth than in the cold. At least I can protect myself, bundle up and be fine when it's 10-20 degrees outside waiting for the train to arrive. In the heat I just feel helpless. I get hot VERY VERY quickly, and you can only take off so many clothes until you're just standing there naked dying of heat.

Anyway, this debate could and would go on until the end of time. Some people like or tolerate being hot much more than being cold, and other people are the opposite.

It's like trying to debate which is best; sunsets or sunrises. What's worse, drowning or burning alive. What's the most pleasing color. Would you rather lose an arm or a leg.

My answers:

I like sunrises better
Drowning would be worse
Blue
Lose an arm
and I like cold weather more.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM

492 posts, read 863,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think that was probably the issue, sticking the word "justify" in there. As if you have to defend yourself from living up north because it's against all human nature and rational thinking to do so.

I don't really see why anyone would have to "defend" living where there's a cold winter any more than where there's a really hot summer. I've been doing it cold for decades and honestly I like the winter. Not as much as summer, but there's no HATRED there for winter or anything. I realized as I was on the train today standing in the sunlight that I get a lot more uncomfortable in the warmth than in the cold. At least I can protect myself, bundle up and be fine when it's 10-20 degrees outside waiting for the train to arrive. In the heat I just feel helpless. I get hot VERY VERY quickly, and you can only take off so many clothes until you're just standing there naked dying of heat.

Anyway, this debate could and would go on until the end of time. Some people like or tolerate being hot much more than being cold, and other people are the opposite.

It's like trying to debate which is best; sunsets or sunrises. What's worse, drowning or burning alive. What's the most pleasing color. Would you rather lose an arm or a leg.

My answers:

I like sunrises better
Drowning would be worse
Blue
Lose an arm
and I like cold weather more.
So basicly what your saying is that one has to be tough (or tougher) to handle the heat?.....

Old 07-13-2010, 03:17 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
So basicly what your saying is that one has to be tough (or tougher) to handle the heat?.....
Just like the other group of people would believe that one has to be tough (or tougher) to handle the cold.

I'm in the group where you'd have to be tougher than me to handle the heat. Others in this discussion obviously think you'd have to be tougher to handle the cold.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:50 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,148,967 times
The difference, to me, is that people in the South absolutely freak out about cold weather, but people in the North quietly distolerate (a word?) hot weather. Plus, the South can't even come close to as cold as it gets in the North, while the North CAN get about as hot as the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.