U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,334 posts, read 17,087,987 times
Reputation: 6071

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I really don't see how climate affects a person toughness.....
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,082 posts, read 2,489,474 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yes, and they will normally do that during the warm months and take care of the snow and ice in the cold months.
The warmer areas have many things to do year round also.

My only point was that I can not fathom how shovelling snow is something to brag about.
It's hard work in my opinion, and I'm healthy, strong, and still in my prime years. I'm not saying you don't have hard work, but it is often work you choose to do. Would that be a fair statement? I can't schedule snow shoveling, so when the snow comes, I have no choice but to get out there and get it done. And it is definitely harder work than the yard work most people do. Granted, it sounds like you've got some particularly difficult issues to work on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 03:31 PM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Reputation: 10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Has this thread been reduced to who has the hardest yard work?
lol

It's been a civalized conversation though! I've realized the past month or two that after only a small handfull of posters were banned, the general atmosphere on this website is MUCH MUCH better. You can actually have conversations now that don't instantly turn into pre-adolecent yelling and slapping hands at each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 03:32 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
Reputation: 1661
I have walked home a mile and a half in a blizzard because the buses weren't running in Queens. When I finally got home, I had to go to a neighbor to borrow a shovel dig my way into my front door.

I have also been to the beach in Naples in July when the outside air temp was 95 degrees and the WATER temp was 90 degrees. My daughter (29 years old) said it was like swimming in a hot tub without the waves. NEVER AGAIN. I would rather walk a mile and a half in the blizzard.

At least I felt I had ACCOMPLISHED something by making it home in the blizzard. A day at the beach is supposed to be PLEASANT. No, it wasn't. As my daughter said she would rather take a COLD SHOWER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Reputation: 10919
^ I think we're just not use to that in Chicago. For all the "winter" talk, Chicago actually doesn't get much snow. A vast majority of storms drop 1-4" of snow. Once a year or so do people actually get excited about a 8-10" snowfall. I've been here 9 years, and I don't think we've ever gotten a full 12" all at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,334 posts, read 17,087,987 times
Reputation: 6071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I have walked home a mile and a half in a blizzard because the buses weren't running in Queens. When I finally got home, I had to go to a neighbor to borrow a shovel dig my way into my front door.

I have also been to the beach in Naples in July when the outside air temp was 95 degrees and the WATER temp was 90 degrees. My daughter (29 years old) said it was like swimming in a hot tub without the waves. NEVER AGAIN. I would rather walk a mile and a half in the blizzard.

At least I felt I had ACCOMPLISHED something by making it home in the blizzard. A day at the beach is supposed to be PLEASANT. No, it wasn't. As my daughter said she would rather take a COLD SHOWER.
Ahhh that sounds great, 95 degrees with a water temp of 75-80 on Long Island is beautiful as well.

I'd take a water temp of 90 (which is perfect IMO) before a blizzard. I actually don't recall experiencing a blizzard in NYC/Long Island (maybe one but that's about it) I remember experiencing one when I lived in Maryland though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,536 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
lol

It's been a civalized conversation though! I've realized the past month or two that after only a small handfull of posters were banned, the general atmosphere on this website is MUCH MUCH better. You can actually have conversations now that don't instantly turn into pre-adolecent yelling and slapping hands at each other.
lol! this is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,932,473 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
It's hard work in my opinion, and I'm healthy, strong, and still in my prime years. I'm not saying you don't have hard work, but it is often work you choose to do. Would that be a fair statement? I can't schedule snow shoveling, so when the snow comes, I have no choice but to get out there and get it done. And it is definitely harder work than the yard work most people do. Granted, it sounds like you've got some particularly difficult issues to work on.
I don't chose when tree goes down and the rain and sun determine the amount of growth so it is not a matter of choice. The irrigation may be different but it allows me fresh vegetables so I need to get it done.

If a tree goes down on the fence it needs to be taken care of immediately.

Many people have hard work around their homes, my only argument was with someone claiming it is something to brag about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 PM
 
2,816 posts, read 5,383,911 times
Reputation: 3758
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This is hilarious! I am surprised no one made mention of this. Thomas R. gets credit for the post of October 2009.
Indeed! I'm afraid it was too intelligent for the average standards of this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 PM
 
Location: MI
1,068 posts, read 2,859,458 times
Reputation: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
There are other activities as well, I was just giving a couple of examples. For someone to equate shoveling snow to toughness and a reason for bragging when I equate it to common yard work I guess there is a big difference of opinion.

When 2 kids in Chicago or Michigan are arguing who's dad is tougher does it go something like this?

Kid 1: "Well by dad can shovel 60' feet of snow in 2 hours"

Kid 2: Oh yeah, well my dad can shovel 100' of snow in 1 hour and de-ice the sidewalk at the same time"
The kids of the wiser Chicagoans and Michiganders don't have time to argue about stuff like that......they're too busy shoveling snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top