Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 PM

185 posts, read 648,014 times

Advertisements

Hmm, idk, as NYer I don't hear about people bragging about dealing with the snow. As a matter of fact many schools in NY (outside the city) close when there are 5 inches of snow on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
I am fearing that El Nino will wreak havoc with the weather patterns this winter. I am hoping the northern tier gets a good snow season to boost our winter tourism economy. The pattern so far this November is about the worst prelude I have seen in many years for the upcoming winter as it has been very mild. We had November-like weather in October and now the temperatures are transitioning back to early October as today is November 10.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 PM

8 posts, read 15,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am fearing that El Nino will wreak havoc with the weather patterns this winter. I am hoping the northern tier gets a good snow season to boost our winter tourism economy. The pattern so far this November is about the worst prelude I have seen in many years for the upcoming winter as it has been very mild. We had November-like weather in October and now the temperatures are transitioning back to early October as today is November 10.
Yep, things have kind of been ass-backwards so far this year. However, since the El Nino this year is a relatively weak one, many forecasters believe that starting in December things will really pickup as far as snow and much of the Nation will have more seasonable temperatures...so its not looking to likely this kind of weather will last to much longer. Even looking at the forecast models it looks like things start to pick up in the next couple of weeks...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm View Post
Minneapolis is significantly colder (with an average high of 13 degrees in January while NYC is 32 degrees)
The average high in MPLS is 21 in January. And yes, thats frigid.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The average high in MPLS is 21 in January. And yes, thats frigid.

You're right; and by the way, the average high in NYC in January is more like 37-38.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its not like the Midwest is THAT much colder than NYC. Sure it can get super cold sometimes, but not more than a few days, the rest of the winter isnt much colder than NYC. On average NYC is 6 degrees warmer in the daytime than Chicago according to weatherbase.com. Today was 70+ degrees in Chicagoland, and many places in New England have received several snowfalls already. Ill take this any day.
LOL glad I don't live in New England, its been 70+ for the past 3 days here. I was talking about it not being cold enough for warm water to instantly freeze.

Quote:
Depends what cities you are comparing. While Chicago may have a similar temperature to NYC, Minneapolis is significantly colder (with an average high of 13 degrees in January while NYC is 32 degrees) and it gets even colder as you head further north and west. In other words, Chicago is typically on the edge of the really cold arctic air. In International Falls, MN, the average temperature in January is a whopping 2 degrees. I realize there may be some parts of Maine that are comparable but the amount of area effected by these cold arctic temperatures is significantly larger in the Midwest then in the Northeast...not to mention the windchill differences between the 2 areas
NYC's average high in January is 39 degrees (average low is 27 degrees). I never knew Minneapolis's average high was 13 degrees. Both 13 and 39 are too extreme for me lol.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
LOL glad I don't live in New England, its been 70+ for the past 3 days here. I was talking about it not being cold enough for warm water to instantly freeze.

NYC's average high in January is 39 degrees (average low is 27 degrees). I never knew Minneapolis's average high was 13 degrees. Both 13 and 39 are too extreme for me lol.
No, the average MSP high for January is in the low '20's. Maybe International Falls, MN has an average this low, but not MSP.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
MSP has a heat island so lows are much warmer in the winter compared to some outlying areas. Coldest spots in MN are the Iron Range- Hibbing, Cook, Tower, Intl' Falls, interior Lake, St. Louis, and Cook counties.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 15,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
No, the average MSP high for January is in the low '20's. Maybe International Falls, MN has an average this low, but not MSP.
Actually I was referring to the average temperature - not the average high or the average low but the average temperature for the month.

And yes, the 'iron range' of northern Minnesota is particularly cold. Also, the 'buffalo ridge' in the southwest part of the state (an elevated yet flat part of the state) is quite brutal with its strong winds in the winter time. The Dakota's are also bad as far as cold and wind...

Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Actually I was referring to the average temperature - not the average high or the average low but the average temperature for the month.

And yes, the 'iron range' of northern Minnesota is particularly cold. Also, the 'buffalo ridge' in the southwest part of the state (an elevated yet flat part of the state) is quite brutal with its strong winds in the winter time. The Dakota's are also bad as far as cold and wind...
An average January daytime-high would be in the low 20's for MSP, but , YES, an average daily temperature ( nightime low, daytime high) would be about 13 degrees. In the past, I've seen the respective highs and lows as 24 and 2, with a subsequent average of 13.

International Falls has days in which even the daytime high does not get above zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.