Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
when its hot here, every female from about 15 to 93 has on a dress, pumps, an expensive bag and shades.

from about 15-50 something that dress is revealing as hell.

if its not a dress then its leggings...so as a guy its not like you have to use your imagination.
'When' they go outside.

Here in the O! people are still walking around when it gets down to 10 degrees (average low temperature on the coldest day of the year is 17). Why? Because it's not that bad when you put on a little bit more clothes.

The summer is different in the south. When I lived in a heated state people couldn't tolerate it at all. Yes, you do have 'women' wearing practically nothing for the very limited amount of time they spend outdoors.

What's funny is they said "It beats the cold". I just laughed, because some people are so homerish it's absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
'When' they go outside.

Here in the O! people are still walking around when it gets down to 10 degrees (average low temperature on the coldest day of the year is 17). Why? Because it's not that bad when you put on a little bit more clothes.

The summer is different in the south. When I lived in a heated state people couldn't tolerate it at all. Yes, you do have 'women' wearing practically nothing for the very limited amount of time they spend outdoors.

What's funny is they said "It beats the cold". I just laughed, because some people are so homerish it's absurd.
There are plenty of Northern homers that try to justify living somewhere cold.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
There are plenty of Northern homers that try to justify living somewhere cold.
Says the person living in a desert.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Says the person living in a desert.
What's your point?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
What's your point?
What is YOUR point?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,635 times
I've never bragged about "winter toughness" but I really don't find winters to be all that bad. If you can endure on again and off again snow for 2 months and maybe one or two weeks of supercold temperatures then the rest of the year is very pleasant. I'm sure the same could be said for the southern states....really hot weather for maybe a month and the rest is all good.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that enjoys all 4 seasons and have no problem with weather extremes

Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,214 times
Bragging about either is really stupid. Seriously.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,450 times
Quote:
Once again, It doesn't matter that 5-15 is a large variance. And I never said my word is enough, I said that fact that I am the only one to post a source to a study makes what I'm saying that much more reliable.

Study > pictures of naked people in snow.

Because proving this helps the "winter toughness" idea.
I really don't understand how it doesn't matter that it's such a large variance, it kinda calls the whole "study" into question. They really couldn't have quantified it any closer than that?

I didn't say it was better than your "study", I said I proved my point. I argued that the need to bundle up isn't as drastic as some people think it is. I gave my own experience on how I don't bundle up all that much, and gave the example of those people standing around like that in below freezing weather. Sure it's a stupid thing to do, but you can still do it. (That's independent of the Duluth, hot/cold extremes argument, so don't go back to that)

Alright, so you're trying to prove the cold is more dangerous to prove that people brag more about winter toughness, or that people are automatically tougher for dealing with it? I'm not being a jerk on this, I just don't know which "winter toughness idea" you're actually talking about.

If you are trying to prove that it's tougher in any way or whatever, I guess that explains ignoring the dangers of heat and anything I say about it over and over.

Also, if you're trying to prove the OP's point, that Northerner's brag more about it, I thought it was pretty clear he was just being stupid or trolling. He really proved how little he knew assuming 83 was some kind of upper limit for heat up here...

If you're trying to prove Northerner's are actually tougher for it, that's kinda dumb considering the varying harsh conditions people live in, in certain areas across the country (or world). Also, kinda ignoring the people that live with both. People can live pretty much anywhere they have to, it doesn't really make you tougher, if you can do it, someone from somewhere else can do it too, even if they complain about it all the time.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwalk View Post
I've never bragged about "winter toughness" but I really don't find winters to be all that bad. If you can endure on again and off again snow for 2 months and maybe one or two weeks of supercold temperatures then the rest of the year is very pleasant. I'm sure the same could be said for the southern states....really hot weather for maybe a month and the rest is all good.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that enjoys all 4 seasons and have no problem with weather extremes
I'm with you on all that, I don't find any of the seasons unbearable, and I love my four seasons, and have no problem with my extremes. I just can't stand people telling me I shouldn't, just cause they don't like it.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Read the purple:

Warm Vs Cold Deaths
Quote:
Of course you will find varying number from different studies, but every study that I have looked at said that cold kills more. Also, in the study that I posted, a 5 to 15 time increase in deaths from the heat is so large that the margin of error would not cover that amount.
Quote:
It might be a big difference, so what? It still shows that more people die from the cold, and so far, I have been the only person to back up what they are saying with a study.

I gave you once source, if you want more go find them yourself.
Quote:
Once again, It doesn't matter that 5-15 is a large variance. And I never said my word is enough, I said that fact that I am the only one to post a source to a study makes what I'm saying that much more reliable.

Study > pictures of naked people in snow.

Because proving this helps the "winter toughness" idea.
Sharpgary.com didn't seem like such a great source so I decided to do a little research.

According to the CDC there are approximately 600 deaths per year attributed to cold weather.

Cold related deaths

I could not find where they averaged out heat deaths but between 1999 and 2003 they recorded 3442 deaths related to heat. That would average out to 688.4 per year

Heat related deaths

So it seems there is not a significantly big difference in death rates between cold and hot.

Guess the hot side and the cold side are going to have to find a different talking point to replace that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.