U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 AM

77 posts, read 90,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I 've always wondered where are the affluent hispanic comminities? I never seen a hispanic riding in a benz and kind of bothers me..Time for hispanics to start building wealth where are they already doing this? Everybody always complaining of immigrants and illegals but where are they doing good?
Sir you don't build wealth by leasing $500 mercedes Benz. You sound like you don't know any affluent people of any race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 AM

492 posts, read 1,018,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpy McScalperson View Post
So basically anybody who's ancestors were raped and/or exploited by Spaniards?
Not all Spaniards came here to exploit.
The first was to find a passage way to the East.
The second reason was to find El Dorado, eternal youth, and riches.
The third reason they came was to "save the Indians soul” in a syncretistic religious manner. Unlike Anglos who considered that a good Indian was a dead Indian.
The Spaniards also brought the Spanish language which help unite hundreds of different tribes and cultures into one language and a similar culture.
It is very lazy, simplistic and arrogant to just think of the negatives and not the entire situation.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,198,137 times
Quote:
I 've always wondered where are the affluent hispanic comminities? I never seen a hispanic riding in a benz and kind of bothers me..Time for hispanics to start building wealth where are they already doing this? Everybody always complaining of immigrants and illegals but where are they doing good?
I apologize in the name of my ethnicity for upsetting you.

We are still driving 1998 Honda Civics but it is expected that by 2015 many of us will be promoted to assistant supervisors and we will be able to afford one of those $400 Mercedes C-class leases.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Default boredatwork

Sorry for offending anybody I dont know why such offense taken asking where the affluent hispanic communities were.... bc you dont see it that often maybe in Miami but not around these parts ..if anything this is a counter argument for those that always complain of immigration and illegal aliens etc.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,832,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
what? there are cuban gangs in hialeah. and little Havana isnt cuban, so most gangs there are central/south American.
You misunderstood what I said which was the following:

"Since I'm a American of Cuban descent I never remember hearing of cuban gangs growing up either"

I never said there weren't Cuban gangs but I do not remember them when I was growing up which was in the early 80s.It was a different time.
BoreatWork no offense taken, this has been a insightful thread.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 PM

96 posts, read 240,285 times
its scarface and grand theft vice city for cuban gang stereotypes.
they beat the haitians in vice but the "i dunt trust dose columbians" tore up al good at the end.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 AM

3,507 posts, read 7,312,845 times
I guess the most affluent Hispanics neighborhoods are in South FL. In Chicago area, there are some Hispanics who are affluent or upper middle class, but I can't name a high class neighborhood or suburb off the top of my head that is 30% or more Hispanic. Many of the Hispanics up here are fresh out of poor areas in Mexico and not as established as the ones in South FL. We have a growing Hispanic middle class.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 AM

9,431 posts, read 10,185,242 times
I think there are affluent Hispanic communities like the one I mentioned earlier in this thread ,(Soledad,CA) But affluence IMO is a result of longevity in a community. Most upper class or middle class Hispanics that I know(and most prefer that I call them Mexican) have families that have been in the US from the time of the Santa Fe trail. Most of them are widely dispersed in the suburbs.

Other Hispanic groups like maybe Cubans who fled their county had many Wealthy and Middle class people who left. You would certainly be able to find many affluent Cuban communities. When I was in high school I worked a Janitor job with Cuban Professional who had to flee. Once he got on his feet I'm sure he didn't have to be a janitor, I learn a lot about dignity from him even though the language barrier.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:09 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,437,669 times
Quote:
Wow, where are you from lol. Go to NYC, Miami, VA Beach, Norfolk, or to any military cities, you will see many Hispanics that are doing well

Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,437,669 times
Yeah lol cities where a lot of people from the military lives. For example, I live in Virginia Beach. Almost nobody that lives here is originally from VA Beach, they are from other states/cities but now live here because they are stationed here.

Last edited by yankeegirl313; 01-30-2010 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: took out deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.