U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Not all Spaniards came here to exploit.
The first was to find a passage way to the East.
The second reason was to find El Dorado, eternal youth, and riches.
The third reason they came was to "save the Indians soul” in a syncretistic religious manner. Unlike Anglos who considered that a good Indian was a dead Indian.
The Spaniards also brought the Spanish language which help unite hundreds of different tribes and cultures into one language and a similar culture.
It is very lazy, simplistic and arrogant to just think of the negatives and not the entire situation.
Sure. And those same Christian Spaniards who wished to save the Indians' soul had the brilliant idea of replacing those poor Tainos with African slaves. People tend to forget that aspect of Latin American history.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 AM

2,227 posts, read 4,433,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I guess the most affluent Hispanics neighborhoods are in South FL. In Chicago area, there are some Hispanics who are affluent or upper middle class, but I can't name a high class neighborhood or suburb off the top of my head that is 30% or more Hispanic. Many of the Hispanics up here are fresh out of poor areas in Mexico and not as established as the ones in South FL. We have a growing Hispanic middle class.

------

The richest Hispanic neighbourhoods are in Miami. Coral Gables, Key Byscaine, Brickell and the remainder are in the process of becoming Hispanic.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I 've always wondered where are the affluent hispanic comminities? I never seen a hispanic riding in a benz and kind of bothers me..Time for hispanics to start building wealth where are they already doing this? Everybody always complaining of immigrants and illegals but where are they doing good?
-----

Go to Miami and you'll see plenty of Hispanics with Lamborghinis.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,280,891 times
One things some anglos miss is many Latino looking people are Italian and so they think that all rich Hispanics look Italian. And Jersey Shore feeds that anglo attitude with Snooki from Chile but raised Italian.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
I may have done this before, but NY Times "Electoral Explorer" feature allows you to select by income and ethnicity. Possibly I can find a county that is both high on the income and Hispanic population. Might not be an exact match to find affluent Hispanic communities, but it could be fun.

Electoral Explorer - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Ventura County, California looks fairly affluent and fairly Hispanic. The poverty rate was 10% in 2008, might be higher now, but the Hispanic population is 37%. So even if all the poor in that county are Hispanic than over 70% of Ventura's Hispanics wouldn't have been poor in 2008. Monterey County, California is listed as 52% Hispanic, but with a poverty rate of just 14%. So also over 70% non-poor Hispanic if that's right. The median income is lower than Ventura, but higher than 90%+ of counties.

Not sure if this is a valid way to do things, but I think used other methods before. Maybe Ventura and Monterey really do have plenty of affluent Hispanics. Soledad, California was mentioned earlier and looks to be in Monterey County.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 01-10-2011 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 05:45 AM

The 100 neighborhoods with the highest incomes in the United States have similar racial make-up as the Higley 1000. There is a slightly higher percentage of Non-Hispanic Whites (91.4%) and significantly fewer Asian-Americans and African-Americans than in the larger list. Hispanics were better represented primarily on the strength of five Miami neighborhoods with high Cuban populations. The five Miami neighborhoods contribute 38.4% of Latinos in the Elite 100. There were a total of 51,844 households found in all Elite 100 neighborhoods.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 AM

410 posts, read 699,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I 've always wondered where are the affluent hispanic comminities? I never seen a hispanic riding in a benz and kind of bothers me..Time for hispanics to start building wealth where are they already doing this? Everybody always complaining of immigrants and illegals but where are they doing good?
Many areas of Miami, especially Coral Gables.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 PM

61 posts, read 164,928 times
Majority of the hispanics here (south of san Antoni)o prefer to mooch off the government, so that's their fault. However there is a small amount of rich hispanics as well.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,183,977 times
The Woodlands is a hot spot for rich Mexicans | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Investors from Mexico Snapping up San Antonio Houses

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A9659C8B63

An article on the influx of wealthy Mexicans moving to/and residing Texas with Houston, San Antonio, and McAllen being among the favored destinations.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 AM

67 posts, read 315,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I guess the most affluent Hispanics neighborhoods are in South FL. In Chicago area, there are some Hispanics who are affluent or upper middle class, but I can't name a high class neighborhood or suburb off the top of my head that is 30% or more Hispanic. Many of the Hispanics up here are fresh out of poor areas in Mexico and not as established as the ones in South FL. We have a growing Hispanic middle class.
I'm almost 100% positive that Addison is a hispanic majority neighborhood now.

and SEVERAL NJ counties have massive latino populations, that are very wealthy, like colombians in mansions wealthy, especially Morris County.

and just to keep it real, it's easy to stack large bills when youre an illegal, all cash, no tax. in fact a few years ago illegals were giving me all of my freelance design work, and paying with benjamins. gotta love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.