Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
That said, I read something awhile ago about someone (media mogul? can't remember...) who still lives in Boyle Heights (neighborhood of LA, not where most rich people live) because the couple felt it important to support the community.
I don't know if this is who you are referring to, but I believe LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa lives in Boyle Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 11:58 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
People seem to forget that many of the Cubans in the US are or would be considered "White" and some even of a Jewish background. Remember that many that came to the US came from the more affluent social status, when Castro came into power. Some even came from Spain, then Cuba and eventually to the US too. History of Cuban Immigration to the United States
Cubans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cuban American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-01-2009, 12:26 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't know if this is who you are referring to, but I believe LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa lives in Boyle Heights.
That is where he was born. His private residence is in the Mount Washington neighborhood northeast of downtown. Currently though he does live in the official residence of the mayor, the Getty House in the affluent Windsor Square neighborhood.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:29 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I 've always wondered where are the affluent hispanic comminities? I never seen a hispanic riding in a benz and kind of bothers me..Time for hispanics to start building wealth where are they already doing this? Everybody always complaining of immigrants and illegals but where are they doing good?
LOL..........you equate wealth with driving a Benz, now that's funny. Wealth has nothing to do with what you can see or what people drive. I know a guy that became worth millions before he was 40. He has a 1 person consulting business. He drives a Nissan Maxima and lives in a middle class NJ suburb. You'd never think he was worth millions but he is. He's not a flashy guy nor does he wear the latest fashions. Regular looking guy. BUT his kids all go to great schools and he's exposed his children to lots of world travel.

Maybe what you're looking for is right in your face, but instead of seeing it, you're looking for a Benz.

Ron

Old 11-01-2009, 12:47 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
No, I wasn't talking about Villaraigosa, although I didn't know where he lived until now (interesting info, though; I had never thought about it before.). The person I was talking about was someone from Telemundo or somewhere; the couple was featured in a photo spread in LA Magazine and the only reason I remember it (however vaguely) is because I thought it was nice that not everyone rushes to the same ritzy neighborhoods the moment they can afford to do so. Economic diversity is a good thing in a neighborhood.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:18 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
That is where he was born. His private residence is in the Mount Washington neighborhood northeast of downtown. Currently though he does live in the official residence of the mayor, the Getty House in the affluent Windsor Square neighborhood.
What a gorgeous Tudor Style home. So stately.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I would have to agree with your assertions especially about Cubans. In Cuban culture education is everything and if you drop out of high school you are basically a parriah and a embarassment to the family. Out of all of the hispanic groups in the US Cubans have the highest percentage of college degrees and the highest household incomes.
Since I'm a American of Cuban descent I never remember hearing of cuban gangs growing up either. I'm not disparaging other hispanics but like you said language skills also hinder educational achievement and employment. I would have to say that Miami, NYC & LA is were you will find wealthy hispanics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
People seem to forget that many of the Cubans in the US are or would be considered "White" and some even of a Jewish background. Remember that many that came to the US came from the more affluent social status, when Castro came into power. Some even came from Spain, then Cuba and eventually to the US too. [URL="http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/cubanimmigration.html"]History of Cuban Immigration to the United States[/URL]
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubans"]Cubans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Americans"]Cuban American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]
I was born in South America and grew up in Miami since I was 5 until I left for college (Ivy League). I was constantly surrounded by Cuban (or of Cuban descent) friends and their families.
Like khthankgod says, the circumstances of Cuba (Castro forcing many bright, successful and educated Cubans into exile) has resulted in the US-Cuban population to be relatively more affluent and educated than other hispanic groups in the US. Clearly, the educated and affluent professional and/or business owner in, say Chile or Brazil, stayed in his/her respective country while the equally talented and dedicated Cuban was forced to move to Miami. That's it --- it's not that Cubans have a superior work ethic or study discipline. Yes, the millionaires in Latin America have MUCH more financial resources (individual average as well as collectively) than the Cuban millionaires in Miami but then that is also not a fair comparison b/c Latin America isn't the same as Miami.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
This is a very interesting thread; I, as a Hispanic/Latino individual, have a LARGE family in Phoenix and can speak to the situation in the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale MSA. While many in my family, including myself, are doing quite well there are many more Hispanics in Phoenix that are "solidly middle class." I am actually surprised to see so many Hispanics in Phoenix making over $100k or $200k in comparison to the other much larger metros with many times more population and Hispanic populations as well.

In terms of ratio or per person comparisons, the rate at which Hispanics in Phoenix meet the "affluent/wealth" mark is pretty great. That being said, an income of $100k in Phoenix is considered very well off if not just very comfortable; the cost of living here is much lower than L.A., NYC, or Boston as well as San Fran so that is no surprise. If I remember correctly, more than 65% of Hispanics in Phoenix are middle class making $42k or more per individual per year (Hispanics living in poverty in Phoenix was under 17%, one of the lowest rates in the nation).

There are large neighborhoods with a great mix of well-off Hispanics all over metro Phoenix; from the historic districts to Fountain Hills and Chandler. Also, most of the Hispanics in Phoenix are of "Mestizo" background BUT many of these individuals (including myself) are from families that are a rainbow of mixtures due to our ancestry and Spanish influence in the Southwest that goes back hundreds of years. In my family, I have blond/blue eyed individuals and those with jet black hair and dark brown eyes. I myself am of medium complexion (very olive) with dark brown hair and dark green eyes; I find that in Phoenix skin color for Hispanics isn't as important as in areas of Miami, for example.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I would have to agree with your assertions especially about Cubans. In Cuban culture education is everything and if you drop out of high school you are basically a parriah and a embarassment to the family. Out of all of the hispanic groups in the US Cubans have the highest percentage of college degrees and the highest household incomes.
Since I'm a American of Cuban descent I never remember hearing of cuban gangs growing up either. I'm not disparaging other hispanics but like you said language skills also hinder educational achievement and employment. I would have to say that Miami, NYC & LA is were you will find wealthy hispanics.

what? there are cuban gangs in hialeah. and little Havana isnt cuban, so most gangs there are central/south American.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
New Rochelle, NY is one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.