U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 AM

324 posts, read 455,470 times

Advertisements

I am a person who feels if they cannot fit into any group because of what I am and who I am. I need an atmosphere that is open-minded enough to not AUTOMATICALLY stereotype me by this conformed idea based by society's standards. I'm thinking Minneapolis. Is this correct? If I need to go reiterate on this let me just say this...

(RACE) > (Conformity)> (Segregation)>> (Expectations)>> (Stereotypes)

Of course this is an example and race can be interchanged with any other 'social group' and have the same exact output.

Last edited by Bennie Flowers; 10-30-2009 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,032,692 times
LA, Long Beach, New York and Pittsburgh come to mind.

From what I've seen of one year in the midwest, people are kind of in a lock step around here. Conform or leave!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 AM

324 posts, read 455,470 times
Oh I'll definitely conform to the person society expects me to be like. Just hide your children, lock your doors and monitor the cash register..

Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 AM

2,097 posts, read 5,876,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
LA, Long Beach, New York and Pittsburgh come to mind.

From what I've seen of one year in the midwest, people are kind of in a lock step around here. Conform or leave!
LOL no.

Midwest is a pretty broad area for a blanket statement like that.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 AM

3,956 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
I am a person who feels if they cannot fit into any group because of what I am and who I am. I need an atmosphere that is open-minded enough to not AUTOMATICALLY stereotype me by this conformed idea based by society's standards. I'm thinking Minneapolis. Is this correct? If I need to go reiterate on this let me just say this...

Of course this is an example and race can be interchanged with any other 'social group' and have the same exact output.

Exactly what standards are you specifically against? Can you explain?

Old 10-30-2009, 01:01 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,432,789 times
I'm not sure what specific standards you're talking about, but yes, Minneapolis is overall pretty open-minded. Out of curiousity, where are you living now? I would think that any big city would be open-minded and have enough variety of people and beliefs that you'd be fine.

I suppose that if you're very politically or socially conservative than you wouldn't fit in in Minneapolis, at least not the city itself. Other than that I don't think you'd have a problem.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:20 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,283,936 times
Big cities have all kinds of people living in them...you don't have to conform - that is the beauty of living in a big city. Any larger city should be fine.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:52 PM

32,392 posts, read 55,223,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Big cities have all kinds of people living in them...you don't have to conform - that is the beauty of living in a big city. Any larger city should be fine.
What he said!

Old 10-30-2009, 05:35 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,678,260 times
I think almost any big city will have people that don't conform from my experience. Small towns on the other hand...

If your looking for a place with high diversity in social groups, any large city with a great amount of diversity in general is going have that.

But really, there are going to be people that stereotype you no matter where you go. That's just what "they" do. It sucks, but some people just can't comprehend individuality.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,593,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

If you really want to let your freak flag fly, so to speak, the best advise is to stay out of cities and get a homestead in a low populated area.

Serious individualists, like Cath Carroll literally live in the middle of nothing, growing their own food, and making substance money on self produced projects. (Cath lives in way far inland CA, hours from San Fran.). There are many Kibbutz style cooperatives where people live communally in everything, from food to clothing and interpersonal relations.

DinsdalePirahna, you would be absolutely shocked to learn of those type communal communities in places such as rural TN, MO and KS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or