U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:48 AM

594 posts, read 946,872 times

Advertisements

How come Geography is not a subject and taught in most of U.S. High Schools?

Social Studies both consist of U.S. History and World History. How come now Geography too?

Geography is important subject too! No wonder why most American's can't point where certain places in on the map, or don't know anything about the world!
For example, 15/20 H.S. junior students did not know what continent France and Greece belonged to.

Last edited by PalmBch; 10-30-2009 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:53 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,674,141 times
It was in my high school. It was a mandatory freshmen Social Studies class.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:54 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,148,649 times
Geography IS taught in High Schools.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,985,773 times
Way back when I was in school we had a boring geography class in 7th grade. History and government was always American, and world history was optional. I graduated knowing next to nothing about the world outside the US. I am embarrassed about how little I know about the rest of the world and have been trying to learn more on my own.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 PM

8,897 posts, read 13,645,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post

Social Studies both consist of U.S. History and World History. How come now Geography too?
This is news to me. My US high school taught geography. I remember even way back in 5th grade, long before high school, learning about central and south america. We all had to be able to indentify each country but we each had a specific country we had to write a short report on and mine was on Panama.

I also remember having to identify each US State AND it's capital in 8th grade, again, prior to high school.

And I remember having to identify each country in Europe and the middle east in 9th grade. We may have also covered Asia and Africa but I can't remember it as clearly.

Oh and I've never been in a Social Studies classroom that didn't have several maps on the walls and/or as a pull down in front of the blackboard.

I guess you're right, most of my geography lessons took place prior to high school, not during it! But I don't think that's the point you're trying to make.

Quote:
Geography is important subject too! No wonder why most American's can't point where certain places in on the map, or don't know anything about the world!
For example, 15/20 H.S. junior students did not know what continent France and Greece belonged to.
Where is that statistic from? I don't trust statistics unless I know who conducted the collection of information and how. I don't know any Americans who "don't know anything about the world". You know what's important too? Not believing in stereotypes.

Last edited by PA2UK; 10-30-2009 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-30-2009, 12:35 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post

US high schools do teach geography. I believe I took it my 7th or 9th grade year???? I really can't remember lol

Old 10-30-2009, 12:41 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,148,649 times
If you are complaining about what "title" it falls under in the curriculum, it has to go somewhere for evaluation. Kind of like Calculus, Algebra, Geometry, and Statistics all fall under the Math and Science heading of evaluation, but are all separate classes.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:41 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Hrrmm I took it in 7th grade and as an elective at university..Is it really needed in h.s. if already taught in middle school?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,985,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

Where is that statistic from? I don't trust statistics unless I know who conducted the collection of information and how. I don't know any Americans who "don't know anything about the world". You know what's important too? Not believing in stereotypes.
I've read similar statistics several times but I don't recall by whom. One study showed some disgracefully high percentage of high school students couldn't even find the US on a world map.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:50 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,935,865 times
Political geography, i.e., maps, capitals, etc., is not very interesting out of context. History teachers should incorporate it within a larger history lesson.

Social and economic geography, i.e., the way people interact with the landscape, is a fascinating subject that should be taught in high schools. However, it's a more abstract topic about concepts and interpretation rather than facts and data. A lot high school teachers aren't adept at teaching that kind of subject, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or