Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of living do you prefer?
Huge Metropolis 1,000,000+ 26 28.89%
Big City 500,000-1,000,000 13 14.44%
Middle of the Road 250,000-500,000 5 5.56%
Small City 100,000-250,000 16 17.78%
Tiny City 50,000-100,000 14 15.56%
Rural Area >50,000 16 17.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:43 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Re: "Even one mile is a long way to crawl with ...an axe to the leg."

Sweet goodness, Rance! What's going on up there in AK? Get thee to a huge, mega-metropolis immediately, if not sooner!

Seriously, I lived in a tiny town until 13 & then the rest of my life have lived in mega-metros. I've always wanted to make my way back to a tiny town or live rurally, but stayed in cities as I've always been single & thought my prospects would be better. It's also where the jobs are.

If I ever got married, I'd drag him by the arm from the church saying, "We don't have time for a reception, we're going to the country!" He haw!

Good thread... VV
I can't wait until you come back to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre; I owe you a Blue Ribbon ice cream when you return for being such an incessant optimist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I prefer a small city. But if I had to choose, Id much rather live in the city or way out in the country than the suburbs. The suburbs would be like death to me.
Agreed. I don't know why people are so drawn to tract housing where 2-car garages dominate the structure and the rest of the dwellings look like an afterthought. I also don't know why people prefer "power centers" and "lifestyle centers" over traditional downtown Main Street atmospheres. I also don't know why people prefer massive asphalt parking lots to open space? What exactly is the "allure" of the suburbs, anyhow, considering that the majority of Americans now live in them? Hell, I've grown up in a suburb myself and the monotony is about ready to kill me! The monotony is about ready to kill me! The monotony is about ready to kill me! The monotony is about ready to kill me! I can't wait to branch out in a thriving metropolis like Scranton or Wilkes-Barre and be within walking distance to off-Broadway shows, the Philharmonic, college seminars/lecturers, galleries, coffee houses, churches, pubs/bars, restaurants, stores, etc. Where I live now I have to drive somewhere and park my car just to safely go for a run! Suburbia blows big time!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:16 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,586,681 times
The center of a large city. Second choice would be very rural. I hate the suburbs.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:58 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Size of the city doesn't matter to me, it's more about the size and scale of the community. I live in a city neighborhood with low crime, tree lined streets, can walk to all sorts of small scale, non-chain stores, restaurants, etc., my kids could walk to school, library, rec center, etc. There is great transit here, and I can get to work without driving and bike trails take me for miles in any direction (including to work when I want).

My city has just under 300k population and the metro area is over 3 million, but that doesn't matter to me, I just deal with my own little neighborhood. If there were 5 million people surrounding me, my neighborhood would still be about the same (as it was 50 years ago when there were only 1.5 million people around here). If I were to move to another area, I'd be happy to live in a city of 50k if I could find a neighborhood like this one. Same deal with NYC!

I can see how someone driving thru our metro area on the freeway might be intimidated or repelled, especially if they were from a small town or rural area. I know, I've been asked, "how can you live here?" It's not that hard and it's really pleasant if you stay out of the sprawling suburbs and exurbs.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:01 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
The center of a large city. Second choice would be very rural. I hate the suburbs.
What s/he said.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:37 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I can't wait until you come back to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre; I owe you a Blue Ribbon ice cream when you return for being such an incessant optimist!
You're on! Thank you. Oh, you owe me nothing, my friend. But, I'll take you up on your offer, after I purchase some lovely flowers for my sister's yard from you!

BTW, I like a soft vanilla (I know! Not exciting to some, but to me... yumm!) banana split with strawberries & pinapples. No chocolate for me.

Adore your optimism, too, my dear. It's what fuels the world!!!

Have a great weekend... VV

Old 05-11-2007, 02:47 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Hell, I've grown up in a suburb myself and the monotony is about ready to kill me! The monotony is about ready to kill me! The monotony is about ready to kill me! The monotony is about ready to kill me! I can't wait to branch out in a thriving metropolis like Scranton or Wilkes-Barre and be within walking distance to off-Broadway shows, the Philharmonic, college seminars/lecturers, galleries, coffee houses, churches, pubs/bars, restaurants, stores, etc. Where I live now I have to drive somewhere and park my car just to safely go for a run! Suburbia blows big time!
Hang in there! There is an end to everything. You've two more years of school, which may seem like a lifetime now, but before you know it, you'll be moving out & making major changes in every area of your life. It's fun! I've done it many times & have no regrets. You're smart go get a firm base in the form of your degree & then the rest will be fascinating. You'll see. Enjoy the journey as much as you can, as you'll find out that that is what makes the rest easier.

It's very admirable that you're sticking with your plan. Just a bit more time & it will be a well-earned achievement! So, go out this weekend & have some fun! You deserve it!!! Have fun...VV

Old 05-11-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Hang in there! There is an end to everything. You've two more years of school, which may seem like a lifetime now, but before you know it, you'll be moving out & making major changes in every area of your life. It's fun! I've done it many times & have no regrets. You're smart go get a firm base in the form of your degree & then the rest will be fascinating. You'll see. Enjoy the journey as much as you can, as you'll find out that that is what makes the rest easier.

It's very admirable that you're sticking with your plan. Just a bit more time & it will be a well-earned achievement! So, go out this weekend & have some fun! You deserve it!!! Have fun...VV

Thanks. The "city" just beckons me. I still haven't chosen yet between Scranton or Wilkes-Barre, but one or the other will one day have me as a productive taxpaying citizen (whether they want me or not!) LOL! I just want to be in the middle of the action and within walking distance to work, church, my childrens' schools, restaurants, etc. I hate not being able to walk anywhere from my home along commuter-clogged Highway 315.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:48 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Default 49,000 People is RURAL???

You must be from a city if you think 49,000 people is rural.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:37 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,538 times
I chose the rural one since my city is smaller than 50,000. It is still a city and not country living. I like living in a small city.

Last edited by Waterlily; 05-11-2007 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: left out a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.