U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of living do you prefer?
Huge Metropolis 1,000,000+ 26 28.89%
Big City 500,000-1,000,000 13 14.44%
Middle of the Road 250,000-500,000 5 5.56%
Small City 100,000-250,000 16 17.78%
Tiny City 50,000-100,000 14 15.56%
Rural Area >50,000 16 17.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:58 PM

2,008 posts, read 6,047,151 times

Advertisements

Outside of town, in country. With cattle,chickens,rabbits, garden, and NO NEIGHBORS FOR MILES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 09:36 PM

373 posts, read 1,705,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You must be from a city if you think 49,000 people is rural.
That's what I thought! Have you ever been to a really rural place? I lived in a town growing up where you had to drive 35 miles to buy underwear...and my non-underwear-vending town had kids in the high school that commuted there from even smaller towns. Those poor kids probably had to knit their own drawers.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:53 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,236,948 times
Default Tried a few, but it's city for me!

I've tried the small towns, but it's city for me!

I can't fight it anymore, I'm a city girl after all.

Most of my city experience has been in NYC, but I now live in a second tier city - Jax, FL - and find it to be a decent size city. It's a city of roughly 1 million, more or less, depending on the parameters used.

The population is expected to grow significantly, and that's just fine with me...bring it on !

Old 05-11-2007, 10:09 PM

15,595 posts, read 35,299,091 times
I have to go 10 miles for underwear. So I quit wearing them!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:40 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,476,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I have to go 10 miles for underwear. So I quit wearing them!
Brrrrr... Well, I guess in a place where you must wear 12 layers, what's 1 less layer! However, I'd opt for 12 thick layers. Ya' never know when you'll need them, like when your friend floors it & you have to pick up your engine on the road!

Stay warm, now that you're wearing 1 less layer... VV

Old 05-12-2007, 02:04 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,087,395 times
I go back and forth on this one but I've never actually lived really rural except as a kid. Sure enjoyed living next to a farm then. Like Rance I get lost without mountains although now my directional device is the water since Mt. Rainier is not "out" much. I fantasize about rural living sometimes but not as a single person.

I didn't like living in NYC--too many people, not enough trees. I like living where I am surrounded by nature but I hate driving, especially in snow. For that, I like towns with better public transportation. Waking up to Filbert, the burro, braying and other animal noise is pretty cool but I wish I could jump on a bus instead of driving everywhere (live 8 miles outside Olympia.)

Small cities are ideal--small enough that you can get to know people who know people you know but not so small that they are knowing everything you do. I left Santa Fe four years ago but when I meet people from there, we can usually figure out someone we both know. Weird after living in eastern PA and the masses of people. I can handle PA two weeks max and then ready to fly west. Seattle entices me when I see the tons of opportunities to dance. Why don't we have those really fast trains? Suburbs are a horror--community destroyers.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:51 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,476,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Thanks. The "city" just beckons me. I still haven't chosen yet between Scranton or Wilkes-Barre, but one or the other will one day have me as a productive taxpaying citizen (whether they want me or not!) LOL!
Well, you go to school FT & work FT. You already are a productive taxpaying citizen. No worries, you've 2-yrs to decide on exact location. Alot of changes will take place within that time. By the time you graduate, you'll have it all figured out. Life just seems to happen that way. That's what's so amazingly cool!

Have a great Sunday... VV

Old 05-13-2007, 08:52 PM

2,864 posts, read 9,941,268 times
Default Middle of middle of road

Middle of the road, and in the middle of town for me, close to all services (pref bike/walk close) with reasonable access to a larger metropolis. I like areas big enough to be anonymous (and avoid the surveillance that comes with small towns), yet small enough not to get lost in the crowd.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:33 PM

1,075 posts, read 3,247,498 times
If i had to live in a darn city it would be small but not real small, hate the lil towns to were all they do is gossip about each other, way too many busibodies, people all up in your business not for me.

My preferance is out in the country with no neighbors, no uppity folks, do what i want when i want, i may have to drive a bit to services but it's well worth it.
Just like in the city, you go out at nite & what do you see, smog & street lights whoopy, at least in the country one can see the stars, watch distant storms not your neighbors roof or side of house, i'll take the cows, hogs & manure over the city people, noise & pollution any day, am i anti social, well purty darn near it more & more every day lol.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM

26 posts, read 148,330 times
lol I grew up in a town of approx 1500-2500 (it grew that much in 15yrs) with 1 HS 1 MS 1EL and the Twin Cities northern but central not the burbs 50 minutes away by way of a 1 lane for each side hwy. Always local downtown and regional stores and regular walmart w/ McD's in it and a few others with a 5 movies at a time theatre.

Besides the climiate aka cold real winter thats quite ideal.

I think Id want to live in either a community like that inside or a suburb of any size Metro Area or live w/i 15-30 min of my job pickup location/deliver area in a community like that.

I want a real downtown available to me daily if I so wanted. I want regular houses not uniform houses (wouldnt that be fun to try and tell them apart so I can deliver the paper to the proper one in the dark. I want mostly houses/apts/condos etc with a couple one store/ regional grocery stores and a Target/Costco/Lowe's w/i 30 min if I am in the city proper or 45 min if I am in a community a bit outside the suburbs. I also want a couple different sports teams. A decent amount of schools and colleges/high education w/ an event center for concerts and plays.

So in the end you cant box me in for specific size.

btw, I live in a 45-55K sized town with Reno I think 100K+ only 45min away and it has most everything as well with Carson City having grocery stores enough for only 1 a month would like to take a trip up there for. And, as far as community its quite good.

I do however also want the community to be more liberal but not too liberal and the republicans to not be rude to me just cause I have an opinion different from theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or