U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 03:06 PM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the USA, England & Australia and I don't think there is any big difference between the way the people look.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:37 PM

324 posts, read 454,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Go on then, prove to me that most people from South America consider themselves "American" rather than "Brazilian" or any other country they come from. Prove to me that most people identify themselves by firstly their continent, not their country. Prove to me that most people have more pride in their continent than their country. You can't because that isn't the case.

I think you still have a lot to learn about the world. I'm curious, how old are you?
I'm actually old enough to be your mother. You are an immigrant by the way.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,964,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
When I lived in Europe, people constantly referred to me as "American"...so it's not just Americans that use this reference - it's pretty much used worldwide when referring to people from the U.S.

I lived in London for a while, and had several people walk up and ask me if I was from Australia - prior to hearing me speak, of course. I had a couple of Canadian friends living there also, and they were constantly assumed to be American. I think the three are very similar looks-wise, but Brits are often distinguishable from Canadians/Americans/Australians.
Well if we mean Canadian and American I'm not sure there's any difference in looks or dress. Even the possibilities I mentioned, like American Indian ancestry, are just as common in Canada or maybe moreso.

Canada is less Mexican influenced, but that's more relevant to some places than others. Even then they watch enough American TV that I believe I've seen Canadians say "Adios" and "Amigo" as much as we would.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
I'm not sure most folks could tell the difference between Americans, Canadians, or Australians without hearing them speak. In London, I think people assumed that I was Australian because I had a tan and I worked out/was in shape.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:11 PM

321 posts, read 795,108 times
1) Americans are more "buff" than Brits because they play more athletic sports in childhood which develop their arms and shoulders, such as baseball, and also eat more processed food. Brits have a leaner, slimmer look, they're likelier to be skinny.

2) Americans wear larger clothing that provides extra space. Everything from pants to shirts is likely to be a "loose-fit." Brits, by contrast, wear tighter-fitting clothes.

3) Americans observe more personal space than Brits

4) Americans are more soft-spoken and polite than Brits. Brits are far more sarcastic and irreverent.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 PM

I agree with everything but #4...I found British people in general to be VERY polite socially, to the point of being transparently insincere. Americans are more vocal and will tell you how they feel much quicker. That's just my experience.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,287,116 times
Americans have better teeth than the Brits!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 PM

No you didn't!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:39 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Americans dress more casually (tourists, at least), like to wear socks with sandals (moreso the older ones) and like to wear Hawaiin shirts (stereotypes, of course).

Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 AM

8,908 posts, read 13,658,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
I'm actually old enough to be your mother.
Wow, you certainly don't come across that way. I took you for someone much younger because you seem to be trying to act much more worldly than you actually are. Your prejudice, stereotypes and hypocrisy speak volumes for your mental age.

Quote:
You are an immigrant by the way.
And....? Not sure what you meant by stating this obvious fact. As American living in the UK, it means I have a lot more experience and exposure to a culture outside the US than you do, unless you have also lived in another country? As others have mentioned, it is not just Americans who refer to themselves as such. Everyone I've ever met in the UK has referred to me as American too.

Please elaborate on what you intended by this statement because I'm truly puzzled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or