U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Texas
27,821 posts, read 22,352,477 times
Reputation: 32984
Definitely. I can almost always spot a British person in a crowd of Americans...they often have very distinct facial features. Wish I could put my finger on what it is exactly - my wife and I were discussing this very thing the other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 AM
 
2,030 posts, read 1,891,151 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Definitely. I can almost always spot a British person in a crowd of Americans...they often have very distinct facial features. Wish I could put my finger on what it is exactly - my wife and I were discussing this very thing the other day.
Are you referring to British in general or the English? I find Scots looks different than the English. But it's a look I can't put a finger on either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Texas
27,821 posts, read 22,352,477 times
Reputation: 32984
Both...but in different ways. I really wish I knew how to articulate this better. It's weird, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,142 posts, read 21,289,482 times
Reputation: 16166
Wow, some people are better than I am at picking out where somebody is from just by physical looks. I know if you took 100 people and put them naked in a room I couldn't tell you whether they were from the UK, Australia, or the US. Add their clothes though and it gets a bit easier because the fashions/brands are a bit different.

As for the entire argument that Americans could refer to anyone from either the North American or South American Continents, that is ridiculous. I have lived close to the US/Canadian border for 44 out of my 46 years on this planet, NEVER in all that time have a come across any Canadian that calls themselves an "American" because they are from the North American Continent. To think so and to continue to argue about, regardless of age, means you live in your own little bubble in the world and refuse to see the bigger picture and reality. If someone is referred to as being an "American" in any Country, on any Continent, on the face of this Earth, it is automatically assumed they are from the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 AM
 
2,030 posts, read 1,891,151 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

As for the entire argument that Americans could refer to anyone from either the North American or South American Continents, that is ridiculous. I have lived close to the US/Canadian border for 44 out of my 46 years on this planet, NEVER in all that time have a come across any Canadian that calls themselves an "American" because they are from the North American Continent. To think so and to continue to argue about, regardless of age, means you live in your own little bubble in the world and refuse to see the bigger picture and reality. If someone is referred to as being an "American" in any Country, on any Continent, on the face of this Earth, it is automatically assumed they are from the USA.
As an American in the UK I am often asked if I'm Canadian and I'm told this is because if one asks a Canadian if they are American, they get angry and insulted. You see lots of tourists with Canadian maple leafs on their backpacks so no one will think they are American. (Americans have been known to do this as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,293 posts, read 5,841,892 times
Reputation: 3110
Thats because a lot of tourist believe that wearing an American Flag is akin to wearing a Target.

I would bet that many of those "Canadians' wearing maple leaves are actually Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,142 posts, read 21,289,482 times
Reputation: 16166
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
As an American in the UK I am often asked if I'm Canadian and I'm told this is because if one asks a Canadian if they are American, they get angry and insulted.
While living in Northern Maine, my wife worked with a LOT of Canadians and we were very good friends with them. Worse thing you could tell them was that they were more American than Canadian because they made their money on this side of the border. LOL Can't print their common response because I don't want to get banned for using such language or have 1/2 my post look like this "**** ***, **** **** ****** *******!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 AM
 
2,030 posts, read 1,891,151 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Thats because a lot of tourist believe that wearing an American Flag is akin to wearing a Target.

I would bet that many of those "Canadians' wearing maple leaves are actually Americans.
Why put any flag on your backpack? And yes I'm sure many of them were Americans. I've known Americans who will tell people they are Canadian, but I don't. I was very tempted when that idiot was prez, but never did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,293 posts, read 5,841,892 times
Reputation: 3110
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Why put any flag on your backpack? And yes I'm sure many of them were Americans. I've known Americans who will tell people they are Canadian, but I don't. I was very tempted when that idiot was prez, but never did it.
Americans are one of the few countries that literally wear their nationalism. (The Brits come to mind, but their flag is really cool and made even more popular by bands such as the Whom Def Leppard and the Sex Pistols).

That being said, I think Americans tend to project how they think Canadians would act. Americans are simply replacing the American Flag with a Maple Leaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Urban Coastal California
1,404 posts, read 2,375,458 times
Reputation: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Very broad question. First of all, when you speak of "Americans" are you speaking of people within the United States of America or in the "Americas" in general? Remember, there is a South America.

So, no I don't think there is a clear and distinct difference. Broad question..
Obviously I was refering to Americans as in those from the US... I haven't ever met a Canadian who deemed themself singly "American" let alone one in South America- a separate continent- an "American"!

How about a triple back to you!

I find that there are circles of people that have a certain look to them- like to me there is a "Southern" look in certain Whites from the US South that is basically not seen in England (unless tourists)- and I am not referring to dressing which is indeed very different between all regions- it could be hairstyles/ makeup styles of ladies.

Likewise, there is a certain "English" look in some populations that you are hard pressed to see in certain parts of the US- can't put a finger on it- but "longer" facial features come to mind. I do find Americans in general are more likely to seriously have smaller facial features (but bigger bodies), I don't think I'm crazy...Plus have others noticed British ladies are less likely to put alot of makeup unlike many American ladies...also when I was in England on various occasions I hardly saw any ladies with French manicures or different colored nails which is common here. The men look different too, and I'm not just referring to the lack of the army-buzz cut-look that is common in the US.

Just find it very interesting considering the ancestry of many White-Americans- but with time looks do change and mix.

I specify certain regions of the US as I have seen some Americans in San Francisco and New York City / New England as well as Seattle to have a greater likelihood to emulate "European" flair in their dressing. And when I'm in New England, there is also a physical/ facial look of some of the older populations that resemble their counterparts in the UK.

Canadians to me are indistinguishable physically to their counterparts in the Northwestern/ Midwestern US. Though as I have spent considerable time in Canada, that there are populations of their seniors that moved to Canada from the UK many many years ago so you see that 'look' in many of their seniors- though now their children look like Americans .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top