U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
The answer is no. I have friends who live in Australia, and when they have visited, aside from obvious accents, they look like your average American. I cannot vouch for British, but I'd imagine its a similar case.
British people look very different from Australians and Americans IMO. Australians are much more American-like and can easily blend in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 AM

1,572 posts, read 2,530,172 times
You can't tell if you are looking by race.. because England, Australia, and US are all multiracial societies now.

However, if you look by clothing, you can probably tell.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 PM

893 posts, read 2,517,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
British people look very different from Australians and Americans IMO. Australians are much more American-like and can easily blend in here.
I agree. Britts look very different. While you most likely wont be able to tell the difference from a Canadian/American/Australian. (well besides there tans and accents)

Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,108 times
I don't think anybody has mentioned facial expressions / postures yet.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,017,392 times
I worked in the hospitality industry while in college and I got very good at picking out the major nationalities of Europe. I could pretty easily spot the British, German, French or Italian group of tourists just by their clothing, hair styles and general features (I'm speaking of white people from those countries). We had a long, busy line at the front desk of this hotel and I would size up a person or couple before they walked up to the desk.

Where Aussies or Kiwis were concern (again, the white ones), they would fool me almost every time. I never had an idea that they were foreign until they opened their mouths. Their general look was so like white people in California I couldn't tell.

Something else I noticed, the older the person, the more easy it was to differentiate. The younger people from those European countries would sometimes have American styles down so pat they were hard to spot.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
Americans are much fatter than Brits or Aussies.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,017,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Americans are much fatter than Brits or Aussies.
Not any more, but thanks for the tired old stereotype. Obesity is a problem in many developed countries. I read that Australia actually took the "most obese" crown from the US a year or two ago.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/health...770886872.html

Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Not any more, but thanks for the tired old stereotype. Obesity is a problem in many developed countries. I read that Australia actually took the "most obese" crown from the US a year or two ago.

Health - Life & Style Home - theage.com.au
Thanks for correcting me. I feel more trim already...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:25 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,447,005 times
Quote:
Very broad question. First of all, when you speak of "Americans" are you speaking of people within the United States of America or in the "Americas" in general? Remember, there is a South America.
This is stupid.

We are "The United States of America."

We actually have the word "America" in the official name of our nation. THAT is why we are called "America" for short. It has nothing to do with being self-centered or thinking that South America, Canada, and Mexico don't exist. Our nation has a long name, and it needs to be abbreviated for everyday conversation. "America" is one of the options for doing this, along with USA, the states, etc.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
To people who have spent time in these countries, is there a clear difference between how Americans and Brits and Australians look and dress? Just curious what people think.

Until they open their mouths (to speak) I wouldn't recognize a Brit/Australian from an American. They're about as "varied-looking" as we are. Unless, of course, an Aussie has a little Aborigine in his lineage (and Aborigines have a unique look of their own).

In fact, our NBA team has player from Australia who obviously has that mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or