Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times

Advertisements

It would be a challenge if one were comparing say, NYC and London. Both are very diverse ethnically and racially.

In rural areas, in the UK most people are Anglo-Saxon-Celtic at a fairly high percentage whereas in the US there may be some Native American and African blood mixed in not to mention miscellaneous Continental Euro origins. Plus rural America is more racially and ethnically diverse in general than the rural UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 03:16 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,729,639 times
as a person that spent time in europe...yes. europeans (i can't answer about australia) do look different than american whites. europeans look different from each other depending on country, IMHO. i'm talking about physical appearance.

when it comes to the way that ppl dress...again, yes. a lot of ppl dress similar...we are in the internet age and an era where ppl are able to travel freely, frequently, etc. but yes there are different things going on fashion wise, in various countries.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpwnz View Post
I agree, I think there is a physical difference. Maybe thinner faces, definitely "pointier" facial features, more boney I guess, while Americans kind of have block heads and puffier faces. Americans tend to look more like Native Americans, obviously, and I think you can kinda see something similar going on with Australians.
Mmm, that isn't my experience at all. Americans have better facial features to me-- there are definite characteristics I immediately associate with "British". Usually the chins and the mouths, if we're discussing "white" people. Rounder, softer features are more British than they are generically American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpy McScalperson View Post
Brits tend to be pale, their skin is the actual color white. Not beige or peach tone like white Americans. They are WAY better dressers than Americans
On this I call BS. Having lived in Britain, even beyond London, Brits are most definitely not better dressers. The folks in London really think of themselves as stylish, as I think any group of young or affluent people do, but... uh, no. London isn't Manhattan. British fashion is either very rural in nature or a very odd conglomeration of things one wouldn't normally put together.

How do you spot an American when abroad? Look for clothing with colors that match. It's the universal "American" signal.

Quote:
They are also fit, and would be considered skinny by American standards. And I've never seen any truth to the bad teeth stereotype.
Wrong again, chief. There's a significantly less emphasis on appearance in Britain than in the U.S. Whether it's differently cultural values or something else, up to that time in my life I'd never seen that many bad teeth on a regular basis.

There was actually a television program produced in England that centered on England's terrible teeth-- "England's worst teeth" or some such thing. To be fair, the emphasis on personal appearance is a uniquely American obsession. Yellow or crooked teeth aren't quite the social disgrace in other countries that they are in the US.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,048 times
Quote:
They are WAY better dressers than Americans, unless they are dressed casual(soccer jerseys.) They are also fit, and would be considered skinny by American standards. And I've never seen any truth to the bad teeth stereotype.
Brits tend to have a very different dressing style- I would not say they are better dressed. They have a more Euro flair..the younger generation is trendy but the older circles are very dowdy.
I agree with the poster before mine that generally Americans put greater emphasis on appearance- despite what people around the world think of many American subgroups that represent otherwise.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:32 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Brits tend to have a very different dressing style- I would not say they are better dressed. They have a more Euro flair..the younger generation is trendy but the older circles are very dowdy.
I agree with the poster before mine that generally Americans put greater emphasis on appearance- despite what people around the world think of many American subgroups that represent otherwise.
Interesting you say this because a friend of mine said the exact same thing a couple of days ago. I think it is definitely different, they tend to go more for layers, but it's not necessarily more stylish. Just depends.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 PM

102 posts, read 310,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

On this I call BS. Having lived in Britain, even beyond London, Brits are most definitely not better dressers. The folks in London really think of themselves as stylish, as I think any group of young or affluent people do, but... uh, no. London isn't Manhattan. British fashion is either very rural in nature or a very odd conglomeration of things one wouldn't normally put together.

How do you spot an American when abroad? Look for clothing with colors that match. It's the universal "American" signal.
I've never been to England, but having worked in Orlando for a number of years, I've seen tons of Brits, and I do consider them better dressers when they dress up. I know that might be subjective but you can't say that's BS just because you have a different opinion. For all I know, you could have no sense of style whatsover and think that dressing up is nothing more than wearing matching colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Wrong again, chief. There's a significantly less emphasis on appearance in Britain than in the U.S. Whether it's differently cultural values or something else, up to that time in my life I'd never seen that many bad teeth on a regular basis.

There was actually a television program produced in England that centered on England's terrible teeth-- "England's worst teeth" or some such thing. To be fair, the emphasis on personal appearance is a uniquely American obsession. Yellow or crooked teeth aren't quite the social disgrace in other countries that they are in the US.
I said I've never seen any truth to the rumor and you're telling me I'm wrong? Please tell me what else I have and haven't seen.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
I've never been to England, but having worked in Orlando for a number of years, I've seen tons of Brits, and I do consider them better dressers when they dress up. I know that might be subjective but you can't say that's BS just because you have a different opinion. For all I know, you could have no sense of style whatsover and think that dressing up is nothing more than wearing matching colors.

I said I've never seen any truth to the rumor and you're telling me I'm wrong? Please tell me what else I have and haven't seen.
It's not that your opinion is wrong, but it's a little off because you're basing it on vacationers that you've seen in Orlando. The other people who responded to you (including myself) have spent time in England and for that reason have a more educated opinion.

I totally agree that Americans are much more into the way they look that Brits - in general of course. The majority of Londoners dress as if they are poor IMO. And the teeth thing...very much reality.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Regarding dress style one can't generalize about Americans. Or Brits for that matter. In my experience, New Yorkers are snappier dressers than Newcastle folk and pretty much on par with Londoners. Meanwhile, I have seen Americans in sweatpants at a nice restaurant in Orlando.

ABQConvict

Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
To people who have spent time in these countries, is there a clear difference between how Americans and Brits and Australians look and dress? Just curious what people think.
I was watching this Nickelodeon TV Movie Premiere on New Years of this UK-made movie about some girl name Angie or Angus or something. I swear, if it wasn't for there accents, I wouldn't have been able to tell they were British. They were dressed and looked literally all american. I was shocked. I always thought our cultures were varied in the sense where you could tell who's from out of the country because of the way they dressed. I always thought the UK and America were kinda different from each on a fashion basis. And this is from a teenage perspective. It's different from the view of an adult because an adult's fashion sense varies and there really is no limit to the fashions across the world. But as a teenager, we regconize the different little subcultures that come along with fashion such as Jerk, Emo, Scene, Punk, Ambercrombie, etc. So that movie was pretty eye-opening in regards to like what you think you know about people and the world.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,300 times
The answer is no. I have friends who live in Australia, and when they have visited, aside from obvious accents, they look like your average American. I cannot vouch for British, but I'd imagine its a similar case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.