Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,505,688 times

Advertisements

I can't say all Americans thankfully, but many do stand out in a crowd that is. I can't say its always in a complimentary way either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 PM

347 posts, read 695,390 times
I find white Americans to be generally better looking than white English people. And yes, it is also very easy to pick out an American by dress style.
Wrt black Americans, I can tell them apart from black English people also. They dress very differently and have different views of what is fashionable (black American men for e.g. seem to love a shaved head)

Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 AM

3 posts, read 13,724 times
From my experiences, British females have skinnier and slimmer eyebrow-waxing jobs.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
It depends on what part of the US. Along and west of the southern Appalachians (West Virginia, Kentucky, parts of Tennessee) most people will have at least some Indian ancestry. In generally Kentuckians have noticeably darker features (olive tan skin, few blonds or red heads) compared with areas on the coasts. Also a few people of "Melguneon" descent too (mixture of White, Indian, and Black), usually goes by code words like Black Dutch or Portuguese. (Melungeons are generally accepted as origining from shipwrecked Spanish sailors who moved inland and married Indian women and later mixed with escaped slaves)

Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It depends on what part of the US. Along and west of the southern Appalachians (West Virginia, Kentucky, parts of Tennessee) most people will have at least some Indian ancestry. In generally Kentuckians have noticeably darker features (olive tan skin, few blonds or red heads) compared with areas on the coasts.
My older brother and his family moved to Christian County KY in the 90s (tiny Crofton) and the first thing that struck me was the fairness of the people there. You don't have too many people of Mediterranean background (Italian, Greek, Portuguese, etc..) or Jewish background that you do on the either coast. I was in England for nine months and I always thought white Americans in Southern states like Kentucky definitely show their British origins from a features and coloring point of view. I think that Native American influence on them is vastly overstated if not a myth.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:24 AM

9 posts, read 29,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
To people who have spent time in these countries, is there a clear difference between how Americans and Brits and Australians look and dress? Just curious what people think.

I would not say "looks" specifically but more about mannerisms, dressing, manner of walking etc. Americans tend to have more "swagger". I say this as someone who has travelled extensively in Europe. I usually can tell an American when I am abroad before they even speak

Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 AM

344 posts, read 462,309 times
Yes.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:08 PM

13 posts, read 17,427 times
Americans are on average fatter.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 AM

159 posts, read 531,869 times
I live in a tourist town and from my experience european men seem so skinny and scrawny compared to american men (I often mistake euro men as gay..oops!). I don't mean that american men are fatter, but the men here just seem to have broader shoulders, squarer jaws..etc. American men seem more masculine I suppose. This is just from MY experiences...

cheers

Old 01-30-2011, 05:00 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Totally different.
Americans dress more conservatively, using their own sport style.
You can spot English by their clothing and shoes right away.
Except for a minority, English wear strange shoes, strange sandals and strange colours, pastel colours.
Americans tend to be larger and fatter and many are from different ethnic groups such as southern Italians, Jews, Polish...
Yes, there are southern Italians, etc..in Europe, but they are not that large and fat and they dress in a different manner.
English also are ethnically different, in the UK you've got the Welsh, English North England, South England, West England, Scots, Lowlands and Highlands and there are differences and nuances among them, such as dark or reddish hair, blonde hair and they are not thoroughly mixed or not mixed at all.
Probably most English that went to America were from very definite regions and are not representative of England at large, and of course, Americans are mixed.

Last edited by Manolón; 01-30-2011 at 05:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.