U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:25 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,287,493 times

Advertisements

To people who have spent time in these countries, is there a clear difference between how Americans and Brits and Australians look and dress? Just curious what people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 12:42 AM

324 posts, read 454,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
To people who have spent time in these countries, is there a clear difference between how Americans and Brits and Australians look and dress? Just curious what people think.

Very broad question. First of all, when you speak of "Americans" are you speaking of people within the United States of America or in the "Americas" in general? Remember, there is a South America. Secondly, if you speaking on looks like personal style, then it's something that would be hard to answer. Remember, there are individuals within each country and continent. Everyone has a personal choice, there might be specific fashion trends that might be more popular in one country than the other but nothing drastic. If I saw a person walking down a sidewalk, I wouldn't think, "Oh, they must be Australian." So, no I don't think there is a clear and distinct difference. Broad question..

Old 10-31-2009, 02:22 AM

8,897 posts, read 13,648,319 times
Sometimes but not necessarily. For example, there is an "all american preppy boy next door" look (sort of A&F look, especially with a baseball cap on straight) that is fairly unique to the US and you don't really get guys dressing like that in the UK. I've talked to a few Brits about this who agree with me on this.

Quote:
First of all, when you speak of "Americans" are you speaking of people within the United States of America or in the "Americas" in general? Remember, there is a South America.
Which is a continent, not a country. Why would the OP be comparing a continent against two countries? We're clearly talking about the US here - I'm so tired of this "America is more than just the US" nonsense. Few people indentify themselves by their continent rather than their country and since no other country has the word "America" in it, it's obviously a referal to the US.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:24 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
I'm not sure how to explain this, but the English often do look different to me than US Americans including my largely English-descended paternal relatives. It's mostly the eyes and nose. Like say members of the Rolling Stones or Mackenzie Crook from the English version of the Office. If I saw a guy who looked like him walking down I might think he's English without knowing him.

I suppose a main difference could be American Indian influences. My guess would be that Australians and British people are far far less likely to have American Indian ancestry than even my paternal relatives. Also that there are far far less American Indians in those countries. If you count in Latinos of Mestizo background that further adds an American Indian influence. Australia has the aboriginals, but their culture and features are quite different. Also the US has a much stronger Black/African influence in culture and history. Britain doesn't really have an equivalent to Atlanta, Baltimore, Detroit, or Memphis. Australia likely does even less than Britain.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:26 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
I likely should have went with fashion differences as I imagine that's less controversial and easier. Although I think there are some fashion differences between coastal Oregon and rural Arkansas and likely between Perth and Hobart.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,986,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

Which is a continent, not a country. Why would the OP be comparing a continent against two countries? We're clearly talking about the US here - I'm so tired of this "America is more than just the US" nonsense. Few people indentify themselves by their continent rather than their country and since no other country has the word "America" in it, it's obviously a referal to the US.
I'm tired of that argument as well. No one in Canada, Mexico, Brazil or any other on the N and S American continents refer to themselves as Americans. If not called Americans then what? United Statsians??

A higher percentage of Scots have blue eyes, but seeing them singly wouldn't tell you they were Scottish. Red, naturally curly hair - good chance of being Scottish. A Roman nose, however, means they are likely to be English.

As for clothing, if I see a tourist dressed in a baseball cap, white athletic shoes, and jeans, they are virtually guaranteed to be American. Although many British will wear one or two of those items, all 3 means American. IMO.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:30 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,468,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
As for clothing, if I see a tourist dressed in a baseball cap, white athletic shoes, and jeans, they are virtually guaranteed to be American. Although many British will wear one or two of those items, all 3 means American. IMO.
Yep! That and the tan.

Brits if they have any colour are usually sunburnt whereas yanks tend to have a tan.

Oh and socks. Americans seem to like to wear socks and sneakers with shorts.

Aussies will invariably wear thongs if they're wearing shorts.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:02 AM

8,897 posts, read 13,648,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I'm tired of that argument as well. No one in Canada, Mexico, Brazil or any other on the N and S American continents refer to themselves as Americans. If not called Americans then what? United Statsians??
Exactly! It's just another attempt to make Americans look ignorant and unworldly by claiming we can't even refer to ourselves with the correct term. I'm American and that's what I'm calling myself until the day I die - anyone who has a problem with it can just get over it.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:02 AM

4,186 posts, read 10,297,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
First of all, when you speak of "Americans" are you speaking of people within the United States of America or in the "Americas" in general? Remember, there is a South America. :
No... If the OP was talking about a continent, he would have said "north americans" or "south americans". when someone says "americans" its obvious theyre talking about people from the united states of america.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:54 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,987,359 times
From what we wear? Yes. Americans have brands of their own and their own styles. Now I know some American stores are popping up over there and vice versa, but we tend to dress much differently.

As in looks? Well yes and no. All the countries are very diverse, so there is a definite chance you will meet all kinds of people with different looks in one city. But sometimes I do think that there is a British look. Some Americans have it and there is that American look in Britain too, but not as much. I don't know how to explain it, maybe it's the different mixtures or something. Some Australians seem to have a certain look at times.

Also, as mentioned by a previous poster, who typed about American Indians and Latinos, that would be the major difference. The Spanish and Indian influence. Okay first, yes we all know there is a large Latino population in the U.S., but they are also influenced by American Indians as well. And they are mixed into the population, not just with Latinos, but with blacks and whites as well.

Other than that, I think that there are plenty of American, Brits, and Australians that look alike, so it can be really hard to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or