U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,427,718 times
Reputation: 537

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Well that's not necessarily true. Houston and Atlanta both have a very large black community and yet they normally rank somewhere in the middle as far as crime rates of big cities. It has a lot more to do with the poverty rate than it does race. If anything, it shows how disproportionally high the poverty rate is for the black community even to this day.

IMO it's 2009 and I find something very wrong with the fact that there is STILL to this day such a poverty rate in the black community. That shouldn't be the case anymore.
Do you have a theory as to why the numbers don't match your expectations? If so, can you explain it?

If racial or ethnic hostility impoverishes an ethnic group, for example, how do you exolain the prosperity of the Jewish community in pre-Hitler Germany?

 
Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,959,566 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I would have thought it an ignorant and racist statement, and also looked up the stats; just as I did in this instance.
I am curious what your stats showed.

I posted mine.
 
Old 11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,959,566 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
There is no reason to trust the data. No one really knows how many crimes have been committed inside a particular state.
HUH?

What state do you need stats for? I will help you out.
 
Old 11-03-2009, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,679,030 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Do you have a theory as to why the numbers don't match your expectations? If so, can you explain it?

If racial or ethnic hostility impoverishes an ethnic group, for example, how do you exolain the prosperity of the Jewish community in pre-Hitler Germany?
Sorry. I had to cut that message short so it didn't come out the way I intended. I didn't mean to say that blacks are just naturally impoverished. I was trying to say that economic distribution among races is still not equal in the US. That's one of the many reasons why it is misleading and dismissive of about 400 years of history to say suggest that these states have high crime rate simply because they have a large black population. Frankly, I agree that it is down right racist to suggest a states will have a high crime rate simply because they have a large percentage of blacks.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-03-2009 at 01:07 PM..
 
Old 11-03-2009, 01:50 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,467,236 times
Reputation: 2125
If its not race then what could it be, is the southern half of the country raised differently, is it a different mentality, is it in ones culture, is it in poverty and lack of education, or the weather,idk, but this would be a good survery to do to find out why.

New Mexico is the only state without a large percentage of black people in the top 10 so the race thing dosent work on this state, some may say the Mexicans but some of the most safest cities are border towns near the MX area. Maybe its the Spanish, who knows.
 
Old 11-03-2009, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,679,030 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
If its not race then what could it be, is the southern half of the country raised differently, is it a different mentality, is it in ones culture, is it in poverty and lack of education, or the weather,idk, but this would be a good survery to do to find out why.

New Mexico is the only state without a large percentage of black people in the top 10 so the race thing dosent work on this state, some may say the Mexicans but some of the most safest cities are border towns near the MX area. Maybe its the Spanish, who knows.
I'm sure their are many different reasons, but one reason that hasn't been brought up is corruption. States like Louisiana, New Jersey, and Illinois (mainly just Chicago as far as I know) that have a long history of crime also have a long history of corruption. From the Louisianans I've talked to, they will tell you main reason for high poverty and crime rates is in large part due to a long history of corruption in the state government. This is an outdated example, but Al Capone and direct correlation between corruption and crime during that era would be a good example. Of course, this is just one of many reasons.

Another reason would be that there is a connection between crime and heavy illeagal trafficking of drugs and fire arms would explain a great deal of violence in a lot of major cities. I would say fire arms trafficking would be a bigger cause of crime than drug trafficking although drug money probably fund a great deal of illegal fire arm trafficking.

I think these would be much more rational and logical explanations than race.
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:31 PM
 
790 posts, read 1,467,369 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
What I want to know is why states like Iowa,Minnesota,Utah, Idaho, Wisconsin,Montana have such low murder rates and other states have high ones, what sets them apart?
Fewer cities, fewer distractions, less diversity, cold climates, and it seems as if these states have a much lower transient population than the reamainder of the United States.
 
Old 11-03-2009, 07:45 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,467,236 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I'm sure their are many different reasons, but one reason that hasn't been brought up is corruption. States like Louisiana, New Jersey, and Illinois (mainly just Chicago as far as I know) that have a long history of crime also have a long history of corruption. From the Louisianans I've talked to, they will tell you main reason for high poverty and crime rates is in large part due to a long history of corruption in the state government. This is an outdated example, but Al Capone and direct correlation between corruption and crime during that era would be a good example. Of course, this is just one of many reasons.

Another reason would be that there is a connection between crime and heavy illeagal trafficking of drugs and fire arms would explain a great deal of violence in a lot of major cities. I would say fire arms trafficking would be a bigger cause of crime than drug trafficking although drug money probably fund a great deal of illegal fire arm trafficking.

I think these would be much more rational and logical explanations than race.

an ex FBI agent called New Mexico the most corrupt state
[SIZE=4]N.M. corruption 'epidemic,' fed says[/SIZE]
 
Old 11-03-2009, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,679,030 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
an ex FBI agent called New Mexico the most corrupt state
[SIZE=4]N.M. corruption 'epidemic,' fed says[/SIZE]
Wow that's crazy. I guess New Mexico would be an exception because I don't think it has a very high crime rate.
 
Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,467,236 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Wow that's crazy. I guess New Mexico would be an exception because I don't think it has a very high crime rate.

NM has been ranked in the top 10 of most dangerous states for a very long time now, over a decade.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
2008
No. 4: New Mexico

New Mexico's coiffed tourist image of open desert spaces, Earth-conscious living and colorful hot-air balloons belie a serious crime problem in this border state.

Rankings in Crime (out of 50 states)
(1 = Worst, 50 = Best)
Assault: 5
Burglary: 9
Murder: 4
Motor Vehicle Theft: 7
Rape: 2
Robbery: 22


[SIZE=4]Most Dangerous States - WalletPop[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top