U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,879,901 times

Advertisements

Crime is more closely related to socioeconomic problems rather than race. Or does Russia, Yemen, Sri Lanka, Philippines, etc have more 'blacks'?

The notion that blacks = crime has been played out, and is quite pathetic. How about actually researching further to why certain areas are more dangerous, instead of pointing the finger at race like it's strictly genetics.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,680,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
NM has been ranked in the top 10 of most dangerous states for a very long time now, over a decade.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
No. 4: New Mexico

New Mexico's coiffed tourist image of open desert spaces, Earth-conscious living and colorful hot-air balloons belie a serious crime problem in this border state.

Rankings in Crime (out of 50 states)
(1 = Worst, 50 = Best)
Assault: 5
Burglary: 9
Murder: 4
Motor Vehicle Theft: 7
Rape: 2
Robbery: 22

[SIZE=4]Most Dangerous States - WalletPop[/SIZE]
Well maybe New Mexico is not an exception then lol

Oh yeah, and there's not a large population of black people in New Mexico either.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:34 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,008,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
A charge of racism is the last refuge of a liberal who is losing an argument.
Although I did not make the charge I somewhat agreed to it.

However I am not a liberal. Not even in the classical sense that some "conservatives" are liberal. I believe in laws against prostitution, drugs, and abortion. I reject much of the legacy of the French Revolution and Thomas Paine. I pretty much believe in tradition, prudence, and states-rights provided they are within constitutional limits. (So no segregation or statewide criminalization of minority faiths or atheists)

That said I think past or present attempts to make conservatism racial are deeply flawed and counterproductive to conservative goals. Ideally I think conservatives should be the kind of people willing to reach immigrants who were in the National Action Party of Mexico, the Conservative Party of Nicaragua, or various Black Caribbean conservative movements. Or find a synthesis open to ethnic conservatism. I would hope for a day when a Republican Convention has someone declare that the party also supports the conservative elements of Confucian or Sufi values in so much as those don't contradict the American society.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 AM

56,846 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Here's some information to look at: State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Violent Crime Rate
Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://os.cqpress.com/rankings/Crime...kings_2009.pdf
The 2009 Statistical Abstract: Crimes and Crime Rates

Keep in mind that NY has more Black people than any other state, but has a low crime rate.

Last edited by Bo; 11-21-2009 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Closing thread since this topic moved in controversial directions that are off topic for this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.