U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 PM

398 posts, read 1,164,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
^They are not exactly "large" or even significant or different from Denver, really. Kind of like how Portland and Tacoma really aren't much different than Seattle.

Honestly, isolation comes with mountains. That's why they are there. Still, maybe looking int Asheville, NC or Pittsburgh, PA would be a good idea if nearby diverse cities is what you want.

Ohhhh whoa whoa whoa!! Portland is TOTALLY different from Seattle! It's not even in the same state!!! LOL Maybe you are thinking of *Bellevue* and Tacoma being essentially Seattle? Portland is a 4 hour drive south (without traffic) with a metro of over two and a half million of its own!!! That would be like saying Dayton is the same as Indianapolis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 05:36 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,434,277 times
^You got me

I don't know all that much about the Pacific Northwest beside the fact that I desperately want to visit it. I just assumed they were similar from what I have read in toursim info, here on C-D and other urban forums (primarily dealing with how Dayton could use Portland, OR as a model for future progress), and seen on TV.

Sorry to spread misconceptions...

Old 11-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
^You got me

I don't know all that much about the Pacific Northwest beside the fact that I desperately want to visit it. I just assumed they were similar from what I have read in toursim info, here on C-D and other urban forums (primarily dealing with how Dayton could use Portland, OR as a model for future progress), and seen on TV.

Sorry to spread misconceptions...
LOL, it's all good Daytonnatian. I rather enjoy your posts. I had to step in here though Portland and Seattle area actually rivals - and actually they are quite different - similar geography, but other than that, quite different. You should totally visit sometime - it's *beautiful* out there. Expensive though. And the job scene is basically non-existant right now. Which is why, OP, I did not recommend Portland or Seattle to you. If this were 10 years ago, they would both probably fit your bill. I still think Denver is dead-on for you though

Old 11-01-2009, 05:46 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,583,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
LOL, it's all good Daytonnatian. I rather enjoy your posts. I had to step in here though Portland and Seattle area actually rivals - and actually they are quite different - similar geography, but other than that, quite different. You should totally visit sometime - it's *beautiful* out there. Expensive though. And the job scene is basically non-existant right now. Which is why, OP, I did not recommend Portland or Seattle to you. If this were 10 years ago, they would both probably fit your bill. I still think Denver is dead-on for you though
I've been pretty much debating between Denver, Portland, and Seattle lately. But I've heard from quite a few people that the job market in the PNW is really bad right now.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
I've been pretty much debating between Denver, Portland, and Seattle lately. But I've heard from quite a few people that the job market in the PNW is really bad right now.
Yes, unfortunately it is. But you know, that's not to say you won't luck out and find something there. A lot of the high tech companies are just hiring contractors right now. I have a couple friends in Portland stuck doing that right now out at Intel. That can be a "foot in the door" type thing but also maybe stressful because it's not permanent and maybe benefits not so great. Even the contractors keep getting laid off. Really, it can't hurt to take a looksie though. I lived in and around Portland for many years and actually I'm moving back soon. My situation is a little different because my job is already there waiting for me. But I do know a lot of folks who are leaving the PNW because they can't find work. Wages also tend to be lower out there compared to cost of living. I don't know why it is like that but it has ALWAYS been like that as long as I can remember. It's an expensive place to live for that reason. It may look "cheap" compared to a lot of other larger metros in the US just based on rents and housing prices, but jobs in most other metros pay a heck of a lot more.

Have you considered Salt Lake City metro? There are BEAUTIFUL mountains there and the job market there seems to be holding a bit steadier than in the PNW. And the last time I looked there were quite a few high tech jobs being offered in the area. I personally think SLC has a lot going for it right now.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:10 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,201,727 times
Another thought came to me, Albany, N.Y.?

Albeit the northeast tends to lack sunshine, don't let the weather radars fool you lol., it does have some mountainy and lake areas, quite pretty.

Nearby Saratoga has SPAC, great place for entertainment(wish I lived closer)

Old 11-01-2009, 06:34 PM

534 posts, read 1,338,786 times
Quote:
Wants/Needs

- Need a large metro area with a good IT field, at least nearby.
- a good selection of national parks close by (preferably with mountains)
- sunshine!
- city must be somewhat progressive.
- a good sports city is a plus (NFL, MLB, NBA, CFB)
- proximity to other interesting locales is also a plus.

so how bout it.
Denver comes to mind, but also Phoenix.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
Have you considered Salt Lake City metro? There are BEAUTIFUL mountains there and the job market there seems to be holding a bit steadier than in the PNW. And the last time I looked there were quite a few high tech jobs being offered in the area. I personally think SLC has a lot going for it right now.
I haven't really looked into it too much, but it is a beautiful area of the country. The first thing that comes to mind when I think SLC is Mormons, and nothing against Mormons, but I've lived in the South the better part of my life and am trying to escape religion.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I haven't really looked into it too much, but it is a beautiful area of the country. The first thing that comes to mind when I think SLC is Mormons, and nothing against Mormons, but I've lived in the South the better part of my life and am trying to escape religion.
Yah, well you are definitely going to see the LDS presence anywhere in Utah and also in many areas of Oregon and much of Idaho as well. But you definitely won't be the only non-Mormon were you to live in SLC. There is a good mix of people there, being a large metro and all. I personally enjoy the LDS presence - the Mormons I have known/befriended/lived near/worked with over the years have been genuinely awesome people. I couldn't have asked for better neighbors/friends/coworkers.

But if you are really trying to escape any presence of religion, there is no better place to do that than in Oregon, so say the stats. It is supposedly the most unchurched state in the US. I can tell you from experience that Portland is a very atheist/agnostic city. Of course there are Christians, Jews, Muslims - but soooooo many athiests/agnostics as well. You will not find your typical Southern megachurges in the PNW and you won't find many of the ultra-conservative evangelicals either. Religion definitely does not tend to play a very big role in PNW day-to-day life in general.

However - you said you wanted a lot of sun? That pretty much rules out Portland or Seattle. I just remembered that was also part of your criteria.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:51 PM

^^^ lol, hence the dilemma.

There is going to be negatives wherever I choose, I just have to choose where to sacrifice. I hate tough decisions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.